Ronaldo

M4

I'll have to watch that.

Someone on Reddit asked people to explain to him as someone who isn't into football what makes him so great and I think it made the replies make more sense tbh. I said that he wasn't just the best player that I've ever seen, but the best at almost every individual attribute that I'd ever seen as well, not including penalties and aerial ability obviously, I think that pretty much sums it up for me. He's the best dribbler, passer, finisher, assister, reader of the game, free kick taker that I've ever seen. Above Maradona's dribbling, Pirlo's passing, Romario/Ronaldo's finishing, Xavi's reading of the game, and Juninho's free kicks. For me he's also my favourite to watch, but I think that's a different category and is just personal preference when you start throwing in the likes of Zidane or Iniesta because of their calm, effortless styles, or Ronaldinho with his off the wall skills.

I don't disagree necessarily with your main point, but how in the earth is Messi above Juninho in freekicks? Hasn't Juninho scored like 80 freekicks in his career or something. Messi surely can't even be close, and Juninho also hit them from all kinds of distances and angles, something Messi doesn't really do.

Juninho has 77 in 20 years. Messi has (I think) 42 in 14 years. So 3.85 per year vs 3 per year, but Messi's conversion rate is accelerating rapidly and he didn't get his first until 10 years ago. In that first year (08/09) he scored 1, last year he scored 7. It would take a lot to beat Juninho's record though, admittedly.

Messi's goals vs Atletico, USA, Real Madrid, Paraguay sort of shows that he does score them from all distances and angles, no?

PSV had a player kneeling behind the wall to prevent him going under last night :lol:

Better at free-kicks than he is pens.

My favourite Messi goal is that one against Real Madrid in the CL semi in 2011. The fact that it had been such a horrible game full of diving and playacting and then the way Busquets just stops the ball dead about 40 yards out and lets Messi do the rest

Guest firetotheworks

Based on absolutely nothing factual, you would expect Messi to get more chances on freekicks than almost anyone ever before.

That's where conversion rate comes in. Messi's is 8% over the course of his career. I couldn't find any recent stats, but I think he currently has the highest conversion rate for 17/18 and so far in 18/19 with around 20% or something.

Guest firetotheworks

My favourite Messi goal is that one against Real Madrid in the CL semi in 2011. The fact that it had been such a horrible game full of diving and playacting and then the way Busquets just stops the ball dead about 40 yards out and lets Messi do the rest

Peter Drury's only redeeming feature is his commentary for that goal.

Based on absolutely nothing factual, you would expect Messi to get more chances on freekicks than almost anyone ever before.

That's where conversion rate comes in. Messi's is 8% over the course of his career. I couldn't find any recent stats, but I think he currently has the highest conversion rate for 17/18 and so far in 18/19 with around 20% or something.

Well obviously but I don't think no one will ever know Juninho's conversion rate.

Guest firetotheworks

Well obviously but I don't think no one will ever know Juninho's conversion rate.

Could be wrong, but the only stat I can find is just someone saying it on Reddit :lol: that Juninho's was around 25% at its best.

Guest firetotheworks

I'll have to watch that.

Someone on Reddit asked people to explain to him as someone who isn't into football what makes him so great and I think it made the replies make more sense tbh. I said that he wasn't just the best player that I've ever seen, but the best at almost every individual attribute that I'd ever seen as well, not including penalties and aerial ability obviously, I think that pretty much sums it up for me. He's the best dribbler, passer, finisher, assister, reader of the game, free kick taker that I've ever seen. Above Maradona's dribbling, Pirlo's passing, Romario/Ronaldo's finishing, Xavi's reading of the game, and Juninho's free kicks. For me he's also my favourite to watch, but I think that's a different category and is just personal preference when you start throwing in the likes of Zidane or Iniesta because of their calm, effortless styles, or Ronaldinho with his off the wall skills.

I don't disagree necessarily with your main point, but how in the earth is Messi above Juninho in freekicks? Hasn't Juninho scored like 80 freekicks in his career or something. Messi surely can't even be close, and Juninho also hit them from all kinds of distances and angles, something Messi doesn't really do.

Juninho has 77 in 20 years. Messi has (I think) 42 in 14 years. So 3.85 per year vs 3 per year, but Messi's conversion rate is accelerating rapidly and he didn't get his first until 10 years ago. In that first year (08/09) he scored 1, last year he scored 7. It would take a lot to beat Juninho's record though, admittedly.

Messi's goals vs Atletico, USA, Real Madrid, Paraguay sort of shows that he does score them from all distances and angles, no?

PSV had a player kneeling behind the wall to prevent him going under last night :lol:

Better at free-kicks than he is pens.

Aye, I saw that. Didn't the ref tell the player that he wasn't allowed or something? :lol:

Made no difference like, just casually smacked into the top corner like it's nowt.

Guest neesy111

Anyone on here seen him in the flesh? definitely gonna regret not watching him at his peak

Yes in 2010, he was quite poor by his own standards despite scoring. 

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, saw him in 2007/08 vs Almeria. Me and my mates were all still concentrating on Ronaldinho and Henry, but obviously knew about Messi. He came on and changed the game by earning and scoring a penalty. As an aside, Yaya Toure was incredible in that match.

Anyone on here seen him in the flesh? definitely gonna regret not watching him at his peak

Yes in 2010, he was quite poor by his own standards despite scoring. 

Same for me saw him vs Sevilla in the Camp Nou, Messi didn't do much but got a goal and assist. Rakitic was the best player on the park (playing for Sevilla).

Feel like I've achieved my goals in life having seen Federer, Shane Warne and Messi all play

Saw him in their 2-1 win at City in the 2015 UCL R16 and then in their 3-1 win at PSG in the QF. Didn't score in either, funnily enough :lol:

Re: HawK

It was my opinion on your post. :lol:

That Messi goal is obviously great but just HBA has scored few better ones imo.

IMO HBA > Messi when it comes to running with the ball but I'll probably get chopped down on that one too :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I love HBA but not for me clive. Though he is one of the only players comparatively able to dribble that way

Yeah, I love HBA bits, but when it comes to any comparison whatsoever with Messi I'm basically Dinho Lad.

I saw him at the Nigeria-Argentina match in Russia. He didn't have a great match, and we shut him out pretty well, but he still managed to dispatch his one chance from openly play with ludicrous ease, and should have scored a brilliant freekick, if not for the fingertips of our young keeper. It is incredible the way that he can influence a match so sharply, just with the gravity pull he has on the defence even when not playing well, and how his quality effortlessly shines through when he is given the opportunity.

If I was to do a top ten it would be basically all goals where the guy dribbles past loads of players or maybe a team move. Hit and hope strikes don’t do it for me

I am definitely the opposite of this, probably because of the footballer I was growing up. All power, no skill. :lol: That goal when Yeboah just chests it and takes two touches at pace before smashing it in from distance is one of my favourite goals of all time.

I love HBA but not for me clive. Though he is one of the only players comparatively able to dribble that way

Yeah, I love HBA bits, but when it comes to any comparison whatsoever with Messi I'm basically Dinho Lad.

I like HBA, I'm just more objective about him.

I like HBA, I'm just more objective about him.

There's no place for objectivity when it comes to Hatem. Only love.