Ronaldo

M4

Guest Howaythetoon

Henry, all be it a few years later, could do what Ronaldo did and then some!

This is a false statement.

Seriously, with your views on Pardew you shouldn't even be watching footy never mind commenting on it.

My views on Pardew? Below average PL manager. I never thought he was the worst manager in the world but I don't rate him either.

Sorry that was harsh, you are entitled to your opinion no matter what.

Guest firetotheworks

Seriously Henry was something else, on another planet in terms of PL players. Watch him in his pomp and watch Ronaldo in his pomp. Henry did it over 10 years or so though. Again injuries hampered Ronaldo, if he suffers no injuries we would be talking about one of the greatest of all time or thee greatest. I don't deny that.

We all watched the entirety of Henry's peak first hand tbf, it's not like we're under informed. Either way it's all personal preference like, but Henry, Shearer and Weah on the same level as Ronaldo is absolute madness to me. Ronaldo was Messi-level until his injury, he was that good.

The year Nedved won it, Henry deserved it imo.

But generally I think Henry was a little bit of a flat track bully. Maybe that's harsh but with his best teams he wasn't the main man either (France & Barca imo).

I don't even think Thierry himself would think he was better than R9.

He may have had the greatest PL career Henry.  BUt I think Suarez and Cronaldo are better players than he was.

Nedved? The France Football Balon D'Or? I'm talking about the FIFA one. Even Owen won the Balon d'Or. Wasn't a real thing until it combined with FIFA's.

The Balon D'Or was always more prestigious than the FIFA Award.

Guest neesy111

But generally I think Henry was a little bit of a flat track bully. Maybe that's harsh but with his best teams he wasn't the main man either (France & Barca imo).

He may have had the greatest PL career Henry.  BUt I think Suarez and Cronaldo are better players than he was.

Nedved? The France Football Balon D'Or? I'm talking about the FIFA one. Even Owen won the Balon d'Or. Wasn't a real thing until it combined with FIFA's.

Yeap, hence why FIFA bought the rights for it.

Guest firetotheworks

'It wasn't a real thing'

Started: 1956 :lol:

The Owen thing stands, mind, but everyone knows that that is a massive blight on its otherwise fair record. I don't think I've even ever heard Michael Owen's biggest fan Michael Owen mention it, so ridiculous is the idea of him winning it.

'It wasn't a real thing'

The Owen thing stands, mind, but everyone knows that that is a massive blight on its otherwise fair record. I don't think I've even ever heard Michael Owen's biggest fan Michael Owen mention it, so ridiculous is the idea of him winning it.

Aye it did, but it was also journalists who voted for it, unlike the FIFA one where it's been players and managers.

Only players that played in Europe that could win it as well, hence not a real thing. Or are you guys going to suggest Pele never deserved to win it? Honestly, I've no problem with the award but always thought the FIFA one was a fairer representation. Don't think Sheva, Owen, Nedved ever deserved to win it.

Guest Howaythetoon

To clarify - Ronaldo was the better footballer, easily. But Shearer IMO was the better all-round centre-forward. If I could choose both in their pomp I'd obviously choose Ronaldo because I enjoy my football and he excited in ways no other could at that time.

I feel Shearer is underrated when it comes to world strikers in his day. He was the most complete centre-forward of his era for me.

I used to subscribe to World Soccer which was an amazing footy magazine and they once did a feature on the world's best strikers when Shearer and Ronaldo were bursting onto the scene rating them 1-10 for certain attributes. Attributes like heading, hold up play, shooting, awareness, pace, dribbling, technique etc. and Shearer and Ronaldo were a good few points ahead of the competition and it was only Ronaldo's dribbling and pace that had him ahead of Shearer and this from a magazine where most of the editors, writers and journalists were foreign.

He was highly regarded abroad. I remember in the build up to France 98 and loads of defenders were asked who they feared most and Ronaldo and Shearer were mentioned the most.

Nee Collins John though... ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT's a great lad and a great poster but he's as biased as f***. He needs slapping down, quite frankly.

I'll slap you you cheeky fucker.

I am biased like :D

I genuinely think if Ronaldo had played his Barca season in England for a top club, he'd have gotten 40+ goals. The defenders at that time in the PL would have been murdered with his pace, strength and inhuman trickery and with the tendency to play a high line and end-to-end football.

Shearer was a bit of a battering ram with probably the best finishing ability I've ever seen in a footballer, from any distance. But I doubt he'd have done as well in that Barcelona team as Ronaldo did. He always performed best when he had someone else for defenders to focus on, either with Sutton, Ferdinand or Bellamy as the best examples. Whereas I think that Ronaldo could have been put in any team, in any era, and would have been absolutely unplayable on his own or even alongside a pure finisher like Romario.

Guest Howaythetoon

I genuinely think if Ronaldo had played his Barca season in England for a top club, he'd have gotten 40+ goals. The defenders at that time in the PL would have been murdered with his pace, strength and inhuman trickery and with the tendency to play a high line and end-to-end football.

Shearer was a bit of a battering ram with probably the best finishing ability I've ever seen in a footballer, from any distance. But I doubt he'd have done as well in that Barcelona team as Ronaldo did. He always performed best when he either had someone else for defenders to focus on, either with Sutton, Ferdinand or Bellamy as the best examples. Whereas I think that Ronaldo could have been put in any team, in any era, and would have been absolutely unplayable on his own or even alongside a pure finisher like Romario.

The space afforded to attacking players and the low intensity of La Liga certainly helped Ronaldo's own game which was direct running, dribbling and skills. If you watch his goals for Barcelona some of the defending is comical for example. I think in the Premier League, he wouldn't have had it easier. If anything more difficult!

Shearer at Blackburn was no battering ram either, he played his football towards the goal not with his back to it as he did in his later years for us. He would use the flanks as well and Sutton wasn't a target man, he was a Sheringham type foil. A lot of Shearer's goals were him picking the ball up off midfield, turning, sidestepping a few challenges and rocketing a shot in. Some were where he would cut in from the flank play one twos and then thunder a shot in. Many were headers from crosses or him tussling with a defender, shrugging him off and scoring.

The thing with Shearer is that he could play up front against anyone, with anyone, in any set-up at any level and score goals and generally put in a high level of performance. Not many can do that (I'm not saying Ronaldo couldn't by the way because he could and did).

That's why Shearer was world-class and the likes of Cole, Sir Les, Fowler, Wright and the other strikers of that era were not and never would be.

Guest firetotheworks

'It wasn't a real thing'

Aye it did, but it was also journalists who voted for it, unlike the FIFA one where it's been players and managers.

Only players that played in Europe that could win it as well, hence not a real thing. Or are you guys going to suggest Pele never deserved to win it? Honestly, I've no problem with the award but always thought the FIFA one was a fairer representation. Don't think Sheva, Owen, Nedved ever deserved to win it.

Shoehorning Pele and Brazil into another debate. :lol: I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win it, the point is that the Balon D'Or was and is the more prestigious award, whether you or I or anyone else likes it.

Guest firetotheworks

Shearer was a bit of a battering ram with probably the best finishing ability I've ever seen in a footballer, from any distance. But I doubt he'd have done as well in that Barcelona team as Ronaldo did. He always performed best when he either had someone else for defenders to focus on, either with Sutton, Ferdinand or Bellamy as the best examples. Whereas I think that Ronaldo could have been put in any team, in any era, and would have been absolutely unplayable on his own or even alongside a pure finisher like Romario.

The space afforded to attacking players and the low intensity of La Liga certainly helped Ronaldo's own game which was direct running, dribbling and skills. If you watch his goals for Barcelona some of the defending is comical for example. I think in the Premier League, he wouldn't have had it easier. If anything more difficult!

Shearer at Blackburn was no battering ram either, he played his football towards the goal not with his back to it as he did in his later years for us. He would use the flanks as well and Sutton wasn't a target man, he was a Sheringham type foil. A lot of Shearer's goals were him picking the ball up off midfield, turning, sidestepping a few challenges and rocketing a shot in. Some were where he would cut in from the flank play one twos and then thunder a shot in. Many were headers from crosses or him tussling with a defender, shrugging him off and scoring.

The thing with Shearer is that he could play up front against anyone, with anyone, in any set-up at any level and score goals and generally put in a high level of performance. Not many can do that (I'm not saying Ronaldo couldn't by the way because he could and did).

That's why Shearer was world-class and the likes of Cole, Sir Les, Fowler, Wright and the other strikers of that era were not and never would be.

I'm a Newcastle fan and therefore obviously I love Shearer, but your bias towards him is in another stratosphere like. :lol: