Fight/bust up at the training ground?

binnsy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I still think the text/ email that did the rounds is of mackem origin. Taylor is hated down there for the supposed dive in the home game last season. The text whips up anti Taylor sentiment, painting him in bad light despite really being the victim and as much as he may be a big head, it's probably far fetched to say everyone at the club despises him.

The text/e-mail story is easier to go along with, people seem to feel better if they can lay some of the blame on taylor as it's easier than saying that we should play Carroll because he's scoring goals.

Getting bored of hearing about this now like. The single most important thing at the football club right now is promotion. Sort that out and then we can deal with this issue.

Getting bored of hearing about this now like. The single most important thing at the football club right now is promotion. Sort that out and then we can deal with this issue.

Couldn't agree more.

Guest icemanblue

Legal view of Newcastle United bust-up

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2010/03/28/legal-view-on-newcastle-united-bust-up-79310-26122692/

IT has been one of the most talked about punch-ups in the country. Toon star Steven Taylor's jaw was broken in a fight at Newcastle United's training ground last Sunday.

Allegedly it was caused by fellow Magpies star Andy Carroll, who certainly appears to have been in the wars as this picture shows.

Carroll has not been arrested, and now North East legal expert Adam Jackson has explained why police do not pursue all alleged crimes.

The senior lecturer in criminal law at Northumbria University said unless Taylor makes a complaint, there is little officers can do.

“The police are the investigatory body and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) makes the overall decision about whether to prosecute,” he explained. “So when police are deciding whether to investigate a crime they will tend to apply the same tests the CPS would apply.”

When deciding whether or not to take a case to court the CPS ask two questions. Firstly, is prosecution in the public interest, and is there a realistic prospect of conviction?

But in the case of Carroll, 21, and Taylor, 24, things are slightly more complicated.

“Without the complainant’s version of events it’s difficult to establish what’s happened,” Adam continued.

“In order for someone to be convicted a jury would have to be convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

“But if the victim doesn’t give any evidence and no other witnesses are prepared to come forward and make a statement, even if the police investigate and suspect Andy Carroll has caused this injury to Steven Taylor, convincing a jury beyond all reasonable doubt would be difficult.

“It could have been a training ground incident or some kind of accident when they were both jumping for the ball. Without Steven Taylor’s evidence it’s effectively a non-starter.

“All we know is that Steven Taylor has a broken jaw. People have claimed it was Andy Carroll, but apart from all that speculation there is just no evidence.

Adam explained that there is also no charge, other than assault, police could pursue.

“If this had happened in the city centre and they were having a fight while spilling out of a pub on the Bigg Market in Newcastle, the police can rely on public order offences,” said Adam. “They would tend to arrest everybody involved on suspicion of affray and then try to work out who did what.”

But Adam said the bust-up between Taylor and Carroll, which is said to have happened in an ice-bath, was no different to a spat between friends.

“If it happened with two friends while playing five-a-side football it would not be within the remit of the police to pursue that, unless they got a complaint,” he said. “Criminal offences take place everyday that people decide not to report for whatever reason.”

Of course there are some exceptions where pursuing a prosecution is so important that police will go ahead without a victim statement, in particular cases of domestic violence.

Carroll is currently on bail and awaiting a crown court trial over a charge of assault after an alleged incident in a Newcastle city centre nightclub last year.

He is accused of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against Michael Cook in December.

But Adam said this would not affect the police’s decision, and would only come into play if he was arrested, charged and sentenced.

“If he was convicted of that offence and then was convicted of an assault on Taylor they would take both into account when sentencing,” he said.

A Northumbria Police spokesman said that no complaint has been made, but if one is it will be followed-up.

:lol:  He's one of my best mates, and a mackem! Had no idea he was on the Sunday Sun's payroll.

Guest Heneage

Is it just me that's sort of been impressed wit hthe way we've handled this by just not really responding at all.

I'm more bored by the way the media are trying to keep this story going despite the fact that there hasn't been anything new to report on since it happened.

What's disappointing is that despite the club have decided to keep this in house so as to not affect the promotion campaign, the local press and local sports writers who said that might be the case seem intent on cobbling together stories intent on doing exactly that.

What's disappointing is that despite the club have decided to keep this in house so as to not affect the promotion campaign, the local press and local sports writers who said that might be the case seem intent on cobbling together stories intent on doing exactly that.

to be fair they could see it as sweeping shit under the carpet. in any other business/industry we'd say it stinks.

It seems to be a case of damned if you do...

Get used to hearing about it.

Articles about the Forest match--win or lose--will be prefaced with a comment about how the fight "loomed" over the game and about how the author had to wonder if it had affected the club's performance. And LTaylor and here ilk will never mention this year's promotion campaign without noting that it was "overshadowed" or better yet "tained" by the bust up and backroom coverup.

No matter what Carroll accomplishes in his life, breaking Taylor's jaw will be mentioned in his obituary.

Get used to hearing about it.

Articles about the Forest match--win or lose--will be prefaced with a comment about how the fight "loomed" over the game and about how the author had to wonder if it had affected the club's performance. And LTaylor and here ilk will never mention this year's promotion campaign without noting that it was "overshadowed" or better yet "tained" by the bust up and backroom coverup.

No matter what Carroll accomplishes in his life, breaking Taylor's jaw will be mentioned in his obituary.

hey that reminds me. new thread time.

to be fair they could see it as sweeping shit under the carpet. in any other business/industry we'd say it stinks.

I don't know many industries or businesses that will shoot themselves in the foot to please a few headline writers.

to be fair they could see it as sweeping s*** under the carpet. in any other business/industry we'd say it stinks.

I don't know many industries or businesses that will shoot themselves in the foot to please a few headline writers.

no. i mean the journalist would see nufc keeping it in house as sweeping it under the carpet, like catholic churchmen molesting kids or chemical spills. if we keep quiet it may just be forgotten about.

to be fair they could see it as sweeping s*** under the carpet. in any other business/industry we'd say it stinks.

no. i mean the journalist would see nufc keeping it in house as sweeping it under the carpet, like catholic churchmen molesting kids or chemical spills. if we keep quiet it may just be forgotten about.

The same journalists will be tearing us to shreds if we don't get promotion.

win win for the journo

I thought that you were bored with the thread.

No that was Dave who I quoted.

win win for the journo

They do their jobs, the club have to do theirs.

win win for the journo

and we hopefully be honest with ourselves.

do you think it would have been treat differently had taylor been playing and in form and we werent relying on caroll ? i do

do you think if caroll had done this at any other club most on here would have been scathing ? i do.

would the same people have slagged off carrolls club for doing what nufc are ? i think so.

win win for the journo

do you think it would have been treat differently had taylor been playing and in form and we werent relying on caroll ? i do

do you think if caroll had done this at any other club most on here would have been scathing ? i do.

would the same people have slagged off carrolls club for doing what nufc are ? i think so.

I'm fickle.  No problem with that.

win win for the journo

I'm fickle.  No problem with that.

is that taking being honest with yourself too far ?