Sunderland...

Heron

Leeds and Man U, Swansea and Cardiff, Millwall and West Ham, the Sheffield sides, Norwich and Ipswich, Preston and Blackpool, Stoke and Port Vale... I've seen just as much hatred and contempt between plenty of local rivals (Going way beyond simply football rivalry). You've not been following football very closely if you've missed it.

I'll never truly understand it, I agree.

I could be wrong, but from what I've always been told the rivalry goes back to the English civil war. Newcastle was on the side of the crown, and Sunderland sided with the Parlimentarians - and then a load of shit kicked off about coal and as a cause of that, you hate each other?

I've never lived anywhere where there is such hatred for people that live in a city 12 miles away, people of similar stock to yourselves... You'd think with so many people in this country ready to turn their noses up at the north-east, in disregard - there would at least be some brotherhood between the people of the region?

Couldn't give a fuck about the 'rivarly', it's primitive - fucking medieval. Where else in the country do you think this goes on, to this kind of level? Its good to see that there are people who don't let this obsession rule their lives (know of a couple married for 20 years, one is a geordie, one is a mackem). Tbh, I'm bloody glad it's something I and those I care about, both now and in the future have never been cursed with.

Maybe if some of you guys moved out of the North-East you would see just how abnormal it is, and just how people outside of the North-East react to it?

How about 4 miles away in the same city?

Aston Villa and Birmingham City?

Quite a hatred there, I believe.

Leeds and Man U, Swansea and Cardiff, Millwall and West Ham, the Sheffield sides, Norwich and Ipswich, Preston and Blackpool, Stoke and Port Vale... I've seen just as much hatred and contempt between plenty of local rivals (Going way beyond simply football rivalry). You've not been following football very closely if you've missed it.

I'm not just talking about football though. I'm talking about a real hatred, and disgust for people in a town 12 miles away...

Guest Haris Vuckic

''people of similar stock to yourselves... ''

Theren we go. What a bell end!

12 miles difference = similar genetic bloodline. Sorry, but it's true.

Please - do yourself a favour and support your local team.

I do. Sorry pal, if you think that the genetics of the people of Newcastle and Sunderland are entirely different - you can't be as bright as you make yourself out to be.

Where did I mention genetics? I would certainly say the north east of England IS of the same diaspora or at least the majority and  that has been submerged in the respective cultures to be 'Geordie' or 'mackem' and perhaps when you splice between the skin cells you may see correlations but culturally they are a million miles apart - you even have pityakkers in the middle who are different still (like Sir Bobby).

12 mile may as well be 12 thousand mile as far as culture is concerned.  

I could be wrong, but from what I've always been told the rivalry goes back to the English civil war. Newcastle was on the side of the crown, and Sunderland sided with the Parlimentarians - and then a load of s*** kicked off about coal and as a cause of that, you hate each other?

I've never lived anywhere where there is such hatred for people that live in a city 12 miles away, people of similar stock to yourselves... You'd think with so many people in this country ready to turn their noses up at the north-east, in disregard - there would at least be some brotherhood between the people of the region?

Couldn't give a f*** about the 'rivarly', it's primitive - f***ing medieval. Where else in the country do you think this goes on, to this kind of level? Its good to see that there are people who don't let this obsession rule their lives (know of a couple married for 20 years, one is a geordie, one is a mackem). Tbh, I'm bloody glad it's something I and those I care about, both now and in the future have never been cursed with.

Maybe if some of you guys moved out of the North-East you would see just how abnormal it is, and just how people outside of the North-East react to it?

I'm not just talking about football though. I'm talking about a real hatred, and disgust for people in a town 12 miles away...

don't really think there's as much as you seem to think, we all know and work with mackems and have some as friends. there is a group think to them when in a group, as there is with us.

Forest/Derby

Pompey/Southampton

Cardiff/Swansea

Millwall/West Ham

Blackburn/Burnley

Preston/Blackpool

Manchester/Liverpool

Norwich/Ipswich

Baggies/Wolves

Blades/Wednesday

Rangers/Celtic

etc, etc, etc

All passionate hate fuelled local rivalries, and the prick uses our local rivalry as a way to insult people from the north east as being "primitive".

Why the fuck has he latched on to us - can't he take his negative bile to some club close to where he lives.

Sorry mate you beat me to it.

The list is virtually endless if you extrapolate it globally.

I could be wrong, but from what I've always been told the rivalry goes back to the English civil war. Newcastle was on the side of the crown, and Sunderland sided with the Parlimentarians - and then a load of s*** kicked off about coal and as a cause of that, you hate each other?

Couldn't give a f*** about the 'rivarly', it's primitive - f***ing medieval. Where else in the country do you think this goes on, to this kind of level? Its good to see that there are people who don't let this obsession rule their lives (know of a couple married for 20 years, one is a geordie, one is a mackem). Tbh, I'm bloody glad it's something I and those I care about, both now and in the future have never been cursed with.

I think you should re-read BlueStar's post.

Sorry mate you beat me to it.

The list is virtually endless if you extrapolate it globally.

But just how far do these rivalries extend beyond football? Football is a game, naturally there will always be rivalries between local towns.

The point I'm trying to make, is I've never seen anything like this between two towns (maybe Manchester/Liverpool actually). I know a lot of people who aren't based in the North-East but have an affiliation to the area and hold similar views to my own...

The sad thing is, its something that people pass on to their kids? Why? Do they enjoy it?

Guest Haris Vuckic

The economic difference are massive & this turns into jealousy and bilious hatred.

You have people in their 70's from Sunderland who would rather eat 20oz of dog poo than put a penny into Tyneside's economy - and they've been like that all their lives.

Guest Hong Kong Phooey

We're not killing each other in the streets or owt.

Be interesting in areas such as Washington, Jarrow and Hebburn if they were!!

The economic difference are massive & this turns into jealousy and bilious hatred.

You have people in their 70's from Sunderland who would rather eat 20oz of dog poo than put a penny into Tyneside's economy - and they've been like that all their lives.

20 Oz of dog poo is considered a luxury in Sunderland.

:lol: Fucking hell, Colocho. You claim to represent Newcastle fans as well?!

I don't need to hate, or agree with the hatred of people from an armpit like Sunderland to comment on the goings on at the NUFC.

Guest icemanblue

I don't need to hate, or agree with the hatred of people from an armpit like Sunderland to comment on the goings on at the NUFC.

I don't hate people from Sunderland. I have family and close friends from there.

I do, however, understand the rivalry. That's the difference.

I don't hate people from Sunderland. I have family and close friends from there.

As I've said many times, I understand why the rivalry exists and how it manifests itself. I just don't understand why people continue to live with it - and why some embrace it, especially away from football.

You have to be born here to really understand it. :thup:

Not necessarily, being raised here is more than enough imo (this being my case!)

Yeah sorry i was meant to include 'brought up here' somewhere in there.

You have to be born here to really understand it. :thup:

Not necessarily, being raised here is more than enough imo (this being my case!)

Yeah sorry i was meant to include 'brought up here' somewhere in there.

Nee bother :thup:

Guest Haris Vuckic

:lol: f***ing hell, Colocho. You claim to represent Newcastle fans as well?!

As I've said many times, I understand why the rivalry exists and how it manifests itself. I just don't understand why people continue to live with it - and why some embrace it, especially away from football.

The way people live their lives is often far removed from how they post online.

For example a readytogo poster may be an office worker rather than the bin man who won a computer via a council grant that we perceive him to be.

I imagine most posters on here who discuss Sunderland in this thread rarely speak about them in person i.e it won't manifest itself in day to day life.

Apart from when talking about football...