Sunderland...

Heron

It happened in a boozer not "on the way to the match" as that article claims.

Maybe the older posters on here can explain the racist abuse handed out to Gary Bennett and Howard Gayle at the News Years Day derby in 1985.

i was at that match and think it was the ref who was racist , thats why he sent the two black players off.

tbh- the most memorable thing about that game was PBs Hatrick.

Excuses, excuses.... :lol:

Apparently Hitler said "I've paid my dues, but I hate those dues" and the rest is history!

:lol:

Sunderland are a City of excuse makers.

There was always a excuse why shearer scored more goals.

Theres always an excuse why our crowds are bigger.

Theres always a excuse when we beat them

Theres always an excuse for not going to games.

Theres always an excuse why thier town is poorer

theres always an excuse when we finish above them.

theres always an excuse

theres always an excuse for racially abusing your top scorers mam.

;D

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00078/F_200602_February01e_78093a.jpg

I'm sure someone had that as their avatar for years. :lol:

You're right they did

if tahts true- does it mean the story is a spoof? or from back then?

It happened in a boozer not "on the way to the match" as that article claims.

Perhaps the event you've heard about third hand happening in the boozer and the event which media reported on are different?  

Remember this story at the time, and Look North playing clips of mackems phoning up local radio and saying things like "Well of course it's going to happen, when you get people coming over dressing like that and talking a different language."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article858822.ece

Sunderland racism ‘like apartheid era’

THE South African cast of the touring musical Umoja have said that their experiences in Sunderland reminded them of the apartheid era in their homeland.

The company said they had been spat at in the street and insulted since arriving for this week’s shows at the Sunderland Empire Theatre. The cast had been taken aback, Sheila Okonji, the co-producer, said. “We were just trying to hand out leaflets and some people started spitting at us,” she said. “We went to another area and another person told us to get out. They said we weren’t welcome.” After that, cast members did not venture out.

Todd Twala, the director, said: “A lot of the young people in our cast do not remember the worst of apartheid. Instead, they are experiencing racism in England, where you would least expect it. It’s sad, because we have taught our young people about reconciliation, and then they experience this kind of racism. This brings back terrible memories of apartheid for me, but we are not going to stop performing.

“We have been all over the world, to Japan, Australia, Denmark, France, Finland, and have been a hit in London, and no one has treated us like this.”

But, you know, everywhere has racists, all clubs have them.  Just so happens you can travel right around the world and from one end of the country to the other and only encounter it in Sunderland.

I'm going to be honest here and say that racism in Newcastle is pretty bad too.

How many times have you been to Newcastle?

Three.

I'm not saying it's rampant or anything, but it is fairly prevalent just like most other monoethnic parts of the world

Three.

I'm not saying it's rampant or anything, but it is fairly prevalent just like most other monoethnic parts of the world

When were you here in the 70s or 80s?

Where did you stay Holiday Express Cowgate , Travel Inn Howden or Hilton Scotchwood

Three.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is 'fairly prevalent' but it certainly happens, I hear racist abuse direct towards our own players at every match from my seat in the Gallowgate end.

I very rarely here racist abuse / remarks when out and about in Newcastle though.

Three.

Where did you stay Hotel De-Cowgate or Travel In Howden?

A smattering of middle easterners and a Chinatown the size of my office cubicle does not make you multicultural man! :lol:

In a relative sense, The northeast of England is still very ethnically uniform

Finding that a bit hard to believe, personally. Where did you go in Newcastle?

Don't know what all the areas of town are called. The hotel I usually use is near the bridge and other than that basically just sjp and the areas downtown with lots of booze/food

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Finding that a bit hard to believe, personally. Where did you go in Newcastle?

Don't know what all the areas of town are called. The hotel I usually use is near the bridge and other than that basically just sjp and the areas downtown with lots of booze/food

Drunken idiots saying stupid idiotic stuff, doesn't count for the vast majority of people in Newcastle, at least not to the level of it being 'very bad' as you said. I can see it might seem that way if the three times you've been over here you've heard some bad stuff, but I think I can count on one hand the amount of racist comments I've heard in my life time living in Newcastle... most of them from my Nana.  :doh:

Guest Haris Vuckic

I wouldn't say Newcastle is mono ethnic at all. It's very multi cultural and other cultures are embraced.

Where did you see this alleged racism, can you give us an example?

Three.

Where did you stay Hotel De-Cowgate or Travel In Howden?

A smattering of middle easterners and a Chinatown the size of my office cubicle does not make you multicultural man! :lol:

I live in North Tynside which is monoethnic but there is no way Newcastle is.