Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Roger Kint

Gardner is a shocking signing for that price. Wouldnt want him anywhere near St James'.

£4-5m? I think that's a fair price considering some of the fees bandied about.

He cost £3-4m? Cant say its too bad a price tbh

Edit: Cost Brum that is.

Guest Heneage

Still lacking a captain imo.

Catts.  He's a midfield general and a born leader.

Ha, I honestly don't think you'd meet many Sunderland fans of that belief anymore. The derby was his litmus test and he failed miserably.

Another decent player tbh.

Their signings aren't good enough to push them on to the next level but they definitely are good enough to make sure they don't go for 3 or 4 months without a win during a season like has happened last season. And the one before that.

They've got 9th written all over them.

Tend to agree, although I wouldnt say the squad at present or including the Manure trio would be better than 9th.

Building a much better squad but lacking flair, maybe Sessegnon will find his feet this season, can see them struggling next year if they get a couple of injuries.

Saw Brum home and away last season.  Larsson and Gardner were terrible at St.Andrews and Larsson was equally as bad at SJP.  Totally bossed out of the game by our midfield, which has clearly improved, bring on the derby.

Guest ykmkmdd

Of all the players they've signed so far the only one I wouldn't have minded us getting is Wickham, and even then I wouldn't see him going straight into the first team.

CRAIG Gardner turned his back on European football to join Sunderland last night, but believes he has only put it off for a year.

:iamatwat:

Who's he signing for next summer like?

This reply made me titter.

[Then again, so did the word 'titter' though, so...]

Of all the players they've signed so far the only one I wouldn't have minded us getting is Wickham, and even then I wouldn't see him going straight into the first team.

Yeah, not sure if I have my anti-mackem glasses on still but I'm not sure what they're get so excited about. I can't say I've ever thought 'oh shit, we're up against Gardner and Larsson this week'. They'll be weaker this season than last (if you include the loan players going back as well as the loss of Bent and Henderson).

Still can't believe the bastards got Wickham tho, the girlfirend's family will be full of their usual pre-season bullshit when I see them at the weekend.

They finished mid-table last season, why isn't qualifying for Europe a reasonable target? Not saying they'll get it, but that's the next step for them to go for, as it should be for us.

Guest taps01

If we were playing them tomorrow who do you think could field the strongest starting 11?

Us.

Thank you was just in some need of some reassurrance!

They will never qualify to Europe with their current squad. Fair play for having high ambitions, but it won't happen. Not via the league anyway.

So he should say he hopes they can consolidate their midtable position?

7th is good for Europe a lot of the time so I don't see why Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa or any other team between 7th and 14th shouldn't aim for it.