Paul Gascoigne charged with drink driving.

Optimistic Nut

Guest Stephen927

When is this man going to stop hiding behind alcohol and getting wasted, and face life head on? Embarrassing. Should take a leaf out of Merson's book, as he seems to be doing really well now.

He doesn't want to help himself. He is a flawed character anyways, I can't see him ever beating this addiction. People try to help him, Paul Ince has offered him work at MK Dons.

Guest toonlass

I think Gazza would have been an alcoholic whether he had been a footballer or not. Drink driving is stupid, but alcoholics will do stupid things when they are drunk. Hell look at what people who think they haven't got an acohol problem do each weekend. Gazza will only sort himself out when he wants to, and I don't think he willl ever get the help he needs because he won't accept his alcoholism.

Guest toonlass

He was a great player though, so surely it doesn't matter waht he gets up to off the pitch (/Andy Carroll)

Good point, wonder what he's up to at about 7.45pm tonight?

I'd put him on the bench in front of Butt

if you go back far enough he's never "faced life" - he's always been "a bit of a lad" - you see a few of them on Tyneside - they're "daft as a brush", no real malice, but really aren't functional - Terry Collier types

I'm afraid he'll be dead sooner rather than later - a great shame but there is no evidence he is able or wants to change his liefstyle

lets just hope he doesn't damage anyone else as he goes..

• 2 months later...

Breaking news on the BBC News channel about an accident on Newcastle Quayside involving an Astra leaving the road and colliding with a signpost, Northumbria Police not able to deny that Gazza was in one of the cars involved.

EDIT: Now saying that a friend of the family has confirmed he was involved in the accident and is currently in hospital, although not thought to be badly hurt.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He is, and always has been, an utter knob. When he does himself in, no-one who's ever met him or seen the way he goes on will aprticularly shed a tear.

Very good footballer, shit person. Meh.

This has been said several times, and I'm sure looking back over the thread you'll see the split between those who feel sorry for him and those who say very strong things against him. The guys an alcoholic so it depends on what state you meet as to what Gazza you'd actually meet. I just feel sorry for him, and get the impression over the last few months he's probably tried to end it all.

Sad that such a great talent could end up like he has.

That said, hard to have massive amounts of sympathy for him. He's been given a gift that many of us would kill for, and millions of people face vastly more difficult challenges in their lives and deal with them without drinking themselves into the miserable state he currently seems to be in.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

And on the flipside we've all been born with the very boring gift of Common Sense and a Stable mind I'm sure Gazza would give up everything 'Special' for.

And on the flipside we've all been born with the very boring gift of Common Sense and a Stable mind I'm sure Gazza would give up everything 'Special' for.

Wasn't a great deal wrong with his mind before he started drinking the living bejesus out of it as far as I could see.

Obviously I feel sympathy for him as I would any person who has it rough in life, but I find the whole notion of people having demons that force them into their stupid decisions to be kind of ridiculous.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wasn't a great deal wrong with his mind before he started drinking the living bejesus out of it as far as I could see.

Obviously I feel sympathy for him as I would any person who has it rough in life, but I find the whole notion of people having demons that force them into their stupid decisions to be kind of ridiculous.

He's been troubled since a kid (if you trust his Biography).

they can have, what pisses me off however is that he is forgiven his foibles because he's an ex nufc player whereas a standard jo with a similar upbringing is just labelled a t***.

Guest johnson293

There's just been a piece on GMTV this mornign about Gazza and his latest 'troubles'.

They talked about his career and had a list of the clubs he'd played for - funny that, I didn't know his career began at Spurs in 1988, as that was listed as his first club, with Newcastle not on the list!!