Creative midfielder with pace

Pacy proven striker

Unless we can unearth some gems that's going to set us back at least £20m

I think people are asking too much when they say 20M

We musn't overspend, and we actually do have a decent squad spine

Jonas, Guthrie, Routledge

Enrique, Colo, Williamson, (Saylor?)

Harper

A couple of 3~5M foreign talents, a couple of free transfers will do.

A lot of people cite Stoke - but they have spent shitloads.

Our transfer policy should be similar Roberto Martinez's, Owen Coyle's, and yes, Sam Allardyce's.

Blackburn Rovers is 10th on the table, just a place lower than the "brilliant" Birmingham who have spent quite a bit.

Guest Roger Kint

Why?

Mike Ashley and all of his arselicking minions have been telling us for 2 years that he will personally fund this club to the tune of £20m every season. Considering next year is vitually guaranteed to make a profit with the TV money going up again then he wont be able to use the losses as an excuse......of course he will try to but its by no means unrealistic to expect him to put that money in when we so clearly need it.

The pace and rigours of the Premier League are much greater than in the Campionship, which almost certainly means more injuries. We need cover in every position because it'll only take a couple of injuries to key players and we'd be fucked!

A lot of people on this forum have commented that it is too soon to judge whether things have improved at board level, and the test will be this summer when we find out what funds are made available to strengthen the team.

Assuming we go up and dont have any big player sales, what do you thing would be an acceptable transfer budget for Ashley to make available to achieve next seasons goals (which surely must be at best to aim for a mid table finish and move on from there)?

I reckon £15m - £20m would give us a good chance of finishing above 7 or 8 of the lesser teams in the Premier League.

Next seasons goal has to be avoiding relegation, anything else is just funtime.

Think the budget will be around 15m + sales (0-2m), and that should be enough to keep us up, hence acceptable.

To run the club as it should be £15-20million sounds about right. Anything less and Ashley would be giving his critics another round of ammunition. While I appreciate there is a limit to spending these days, a club like Newcastle should be greeting a return to the premier with some real intent.

This - on the nail...

Why?

Mike Ashley and all of his arselicking minions have been telling us for 2 years that he will personally fund this club to the tune of £20m every season. Considering next year is vitually guaranteed to make a profit with the TV money going up again then he wont be able to use the losses as an excuse......of course he will try to but its by no means unrealistic to expect him to put that money in when we so clearly need it.

Any any new purchases will have Premiership wages to go with it and put our wage bill up so the club has to be able to cover these costs as well as pay for transfers. Hopefully getting shot of the likes of Butt will clear some more room on the wages.

Again NOT seeling anyone is very important, well other than Best and use what monaey we have to get in a decent striker.

Would love us to have £20 - £30 mill but I reckon we will be lucky is he spends £10mill

I would also agree with a net spend of around 15 million.

I think our major problem if we want to sign any "good" players will be the newly enforced wage cap. this could put us out of reach of quite a few players.

Need a striker who will guarantee 15 prem league goals.

Need a centre midfielder who will also chip in.

A creative midfielder come striker in the arshavin mould as we don't have anything like this at the moment....

A lot of people on this forum have commented that it is too soon to judge whether things have improved at board level, and the test will be this summer when we find out what funds are made available to strengthen the team.

Assuming we go up and dont have any big player sales, what do you thing would be an acceptable transfer budget for Ashley to make available to achieve next seasons goals (which surely must be at best to aim for a mid table finish and move on from there)?

I reckon £15m - £20m would give us a good chance of finishing above 7 or 8 of the lesser teams in the Premier League.

Dont agree with that, our target should be mid table, with our core players and the right investment that should be attainable.

If we only just avoid relegation so be it, at least then we should know where we need to strengthen for the following season.

But dont aim low.

I would also agree with a net spend of around 15 million.

I think our major problem if we want to sign any "good" players will be the newly enforced wage cap. this could put us out of reach of quite a few players.

Need a striker who will guarantee 15 prem league goals.

Need a centre midfielder who will also chip in.

A creative midfielder come striker in the arshavin mould as we don't have anything like this at the moment....

dont believe a word about that wage cap.

do you think if we buy someone for 5mill on 30kpw we wouldnt go 35kpw for a similar player coming in on a free ?

what it does mean however is that the days of 80kpw wages are gone as realistically we cant afford them no matter who it is.

IMO, I think the squad needs freshening up with 2/3 players to come straight in to the starting line up, someone with a bit of pace in the centre of midfield that can link defence and attack, I know its dreaming but Miguel Veloso from Sporting would be an incredible signing, probably too expensive for MA. Other than that I think that the squad needs to be kept together to some extent, the success that Stoke have enjoyed over the last couple of seasons is down to their strength as a unit rather than good individuals. we need to be hard to beat both home and away.

Why?

I can't speak for others (ahsley's minions). But I am for sustainable business and am against persistent personal funding by club owner. Our finance isn't the healthiest. Liverpool are struggling financially with 20M annual net spend. I don't think Newcastle are richer than Liverpool.

I don't have the exact figures. 20M is my "gut feeling" figure

Dont agree with that, our target should be mid table, with our core players and the right investment that should be attainable.

If we only just avoid relegation so be it, at least then we should know where we need to strengthen for the following season.

But dont aim low.

I agree that mid table should be attainable, but I think it would be counter productive to have that as a goal.

Then if we're lying in of the last three spots people will be calling for heads.

Do people think we have a chance of staying up with just spending £12m?

Staying up? - Yes!

I assume that we will be stronger than the two other promotion teams, so I think we can get better than at least one or two of the bottom PL teams.

Now - is 12M enough to compete with Mid-table teams?  Probably not.

Course we do. As we are, we'd probably sturggle immensely. We're three significant upgrades off staying up fairly comfortably if you ask me. You don't need to break the bank to ensure this.

If next season the quality in the Prem is the saem as this season I don't think we need to worry all that much about £20+. As long as we get solid guaranteed starting player for each the defence, midfield and up top, even the players we consider gash will be able to cut it against the bottom 5-7 teams.

I dont think we want a big over haul, just clever buying, keeping a settled confident team and adding quality to it, however much they cost, is all we need. Don't want to make the mistakes we have in the past and create a team of players who don't know how to play together ending up playing terrible football. Look at Birmingham this year.

Guest malandro

Staying up? - Yes!

I assume that we will be stronger than the two other promotion teams, so I think we can get better than at least one or two of the bottom PL teams.

Now - is 12M enough to compete with Mid-table teams?  Probably not.

Our record against WBA and Forest this season reads P4 W1 L1 D2 – Scored 5 Conceded 4. If they’re the two worst teams in the PL next season what does that say about our prospects?

I forget to mention we got hammered by WBA in the cup.

Our record against WBA and Forest this season reads P4 W1 L1 D2 – Scored 5 Conceded 4. If they’re the two worst teams in the PL next season what does that say about our prospects?

Not a lot. You could just about come to the conclusion that without strengthening, in a league of two, we'd beat them to the top spot on goal difference?