Acceptable transfer budget

bealios

We have Chris Hughton, who like it or not wouldn't spend 15m on three players.

Not sure how you can assume that; Lets give Hughton some credit and say that in the last window he stretched the finances to fill a number of holes in the squad. What's to say that if we had £15m and all we needed was a striker, Hughton would not go for a £15million pound striker?

/or not, just seems a bit rough to make claims on Hughtons transfer philosophy after effectively one (pretty effective) window.

Not sure how you can assume that; Lets give Hughton some credit and say that in the last window he stretched the finances to fill a number of holes in the squad. What's to say that if we had £15m and all we needed was a striker, Hughton would not go for a £15million pound striker?

/or not, just seems a bit rough to make claims on Hughtons transfer philosophy after effectively one (pretty effective) window.

I think you misundertand, i'm not being critical of Hughton.

I don't think Hughton will be a big spender, nor do i want him to go down that route (unless a top player comes available). IMO Hughton will bide his time and wait until later in the window before securing bigger targets.

If we had 15m i highly doubt Hughton would spend it on three players. You are entitled to disagree.

I don't think Hughton will be a big spender, nor do i want him to go down that route (unless a top player comes available). IMO Hughton will bide his time and wait until later in the window before securing bigger targets.

If we had 15m i highly doubt Hughton would spend it on three players. You are entitled to disagree.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of players Hughton goes for if he's given any sort of decent funds. For all he's done well this season no one has any real idea how successful he'll be in chasing bigger players.

Yup, attracting Championship-caliber players to the biggest and best team in the league is a lot different than convincing a PL-caliber player to join a club that will likely be in a relegation battle.

I'm not really disagreeing, just pointing out that we don't know much other than maybe that he used a decent championship budget well and got in players to cover the problem areas in the team.

If his budget increases, there is no reason to believe that he wouldn't do the same, use the full buget to fill in the weakspots, the less holes, the more he will spend on each player hopefully.  :thup:

I think we need a lot more than £15m - £20m. The problem is that our defence looks fairly sound, and we don't need a new keeper urgently, as we have decent back up as well. So our main requirements are in midfield and Premier League class striker. That tends to be more expensive than any other part of the team, but it could be the difference between staying up and going down. Bent at Sunderland being the classic example.

Robbie Keane would be my shout for that sort of player.

Robbi Keane ... why oh why oh why would you go there?!

The scouting department is going to have to step up big time this summer. They're going to have to identify strikers that could come in and score at least 15 goals in the prem. They are going to have to be players who are not currently big players in the prem now either, because I just don't see anyone realistic that we can get who would be worth it. Robbie Keane's fee and wages would be absolutely stupid and he is at that 30 year old mark now.

Guest malandro

Hughton could have £50m to spend and would still struggle to get any decent players if we aren’t prepared to pay ‘decent’ wages.

£10m net on players who are out of contract (or in the last year of their contract) and will sign up for less than 20kpw. That should leave about £20m from our turnover for more important things.

I think even if 10 million was spent correctly that we could maintain Premier League statuts next season, not sure if we will spend it right.

If we can pick the bones of the better players who get relegated and get some players from the Championship that improve on our deadwood such as Nicky Butt then I am sure we can stay in the league next season.

Above all we need energy in midfield.

I think we need a lot more than £15m - £20m. The problem is that our defence looks fairly sound, and we don't need a new keeper urgently, as we have decent back up as well. So our main requirements are in midfield and Premier League class striker. That tends to be more expensive than any other part of the team, but it could be the difference between staying up and going down. Bent at Sunderland being the classic example.

Robbie Keane would be my shout for that sort of player.

Robbi Keane ... why oh why oh why would you go there?!

The scouting department is going to have to step up big time this summer. They're going to have to identify strikers that could come in and score at least 15 goals in the prem. They are going to have to be players who are not currently big players in the prem now either, because I just don't see anyone realistic that we can get who would be worth it. Robbie Keane's fee and wages would be absolutely stupid and he is at that 30 year old mark now.

absolutely, signing Keane would be like signing Duff or Owen again.. no thanks, we have enough overpaid honest pro wankers

Guest Brummiemag

For Ashley to regain any credibility in my eyes I would expect to see a net spend of at least £20 million - that would or should bring in 3 or 4 quality players, it would also signal a much needed statement of intent from Ashley, and if we are serious about making real progress then its essential.

If that happens then theres no reason why we couldn't have a season similar to Birmingham's this season

I think even if 10 million was spent correctly that we could maintain Premier League statuts next season, not sure if we will spend it right.

If we can pick the bones of the better players who get relegated and get some players from the Championship that improve on our deadwood such as Nicky Butt then I am sure we can stay in the league next season.

Above all we need energy in midfield.

I don't know why Ashley decided to buy Newcastle but I wouldn't have thought it was just to avoid relegation season after season. He's not short of a few bob, he could try investing a decent wedge and enjoy competing in the right half of the table.

Guest guinness_fiend

Whatever Mike Ashley can afford without having to rely on silly abouts of debt finance. 

I'd rather scrape through the league and improve on current sponsorship deals and rely on TV revenue in our second season in the Premiership than shoot the moon during our first season, get held to ransom by players who we *need* here, rather than who *want* to be here and underperform nonetheless.

Given what has happened to Portsmouth - if we cannot afford to spend £30m in the transfer market, we shouldn't be aiming to.  Spend within our mains, stabilise the club and try our best to consolidate our position in the league.  Wolves and Stoke have not paid through the nose for players (largely) and we alread have better squads than both of these.  We have the makings of a decent team at the moment and a few reasonably-priced (and young) players may be a better shout than lumping all our hopes on a few (reasonably) big-name players.

I think we'll need quite a bit. West Brom have done well against us and controlled the midfield in the home game. Considering they will be one of the weakest teams next season, I think there's quite a few areas needing strengthened. A right back, a striker and at least one cm for me. Premier League quality players too.