Acceptable transfer budget

bealios

To be honest I hink our current squad is better than 4 or 5 PL teams. The problem though is our big support, lends itself to the players feeling more pressure to perform. So we still have to invest in order just to stay up.  I'm not concerned about the budget, more concerned that we address the areas of the team that need strengthening. We did a great job of that in January, the signings of Routledge and Williamson (particually the former) had a huge impact on our late season form.

People on here hate Simpson, that's pretty clear from just a cursory glance at most threads, so I'm sure a lot would like to see us buy another RB. Personally, I'm not that concerned with him. Can Carroll and Loven do it at the top level or do we need to bring in a striker with a bit of pedigree ? Can our central midfield compete, or do we need to freshen it up ? Can Kadar be the 4th CH or do we need another ?

This is what I would do:

Sell:

Nolan

Smith

R Taylor

Barton

That would bring in some cash but more importantly significantly reduce the wage bill.

Buy:

A young right back with a lot of potential

A creative midfielder

A defensive midfielder

A young right winger

A left footed left winger

A goalscoring striker (get Beckford on a free)

Guest malandro

Our record against WBA and Forest this season reads P4 W1 L1 D2 – Scored 5 Conceded 4. If they’re the two worst teams in the PL next season what does that say about our prospects?

Not a lot. You could just about come to the conclusion that without strengthening, in a league of two, we'd beat them to the top spot on goal difference?

A league of two with three teams in it.  :facepalm:

Beckford and Carroll up front?

I would probably look to rotate the 3 strikers, with Shola and Ranger filling in when needed. Don't see why all three of the main guys can't play with alongside each other.

Our record against WBA and Forest this season reads P4 W1 L1 D2 Scored 5 Conceded 4. If theyre the two worst teams in the PL next season what does that say about our prospects?

Not a lot. You could just about come to the conclusion that without strengthening, in a league of two, we'd beat them to the top spot on goal difference?

Going back to the original point you can't really isolate it like that. Next season we'll beat some teams we shouldn't and lose to some teams we should beat. That's just football. You've got to look at the whole body of work, we've been comfortably the most consitent force in this league and we are more ready to play PL football than those two teams. West Brom's defence has been pretty awful for a team at the top of the table, it'll get steamrolled next year as it did last year, unless they significantly buy. Wigan, West Ham or Hull, Bolton, Sunderland (who minus Bent are a really poor side) and Wolves, have nothing for us to fear.

Even when you go to mid table teams like Blackburn, Stoke and Birmingham, should we be intimidated by them ?

Mid Table is more than a realistic targetr for us next season, even with modest outlay.

Ebanks-Blake scored 25 in this league. He's about as much use as a third nut this season.

And that's a very good point, just because you perform at this level is no idicator that you can step it up at the level above. Beckford may be too much of a gamble even on a free, so perhaps we go in a different direction, I can't see Hughton going far from home with any of his signings however.

Ebanks-Blake scored 25 in this league. He's about as much use as a third nut this season.

has he been given many games? think he has had an injury too.

20 games, 1 goal from the penalty spot.

Our record against WBA and Forest this season reads P4 W1 L1 D2 – Scored 5 Conceded 4. If they’re the two worst teams in the PL next season what does that say about our prospects?

:doh: Knew I should've stayed in school.

Guest Milburnthedog

Ashley will try to sell and fail to get a buyer willing to give him his £200m+ back. So, he'll cash in on Taylor, Butt, Barton, Enrique, Spiderman and the fringe players to shorten the wage bill and get a few freebies plus a couple of nominal amount type players on far smaller wages.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear a season of pain.

Ashley will try to sell and fail to get a buyer willing to give him his £200m+ back. So, he'll cash in on Taylor, Butt, Barton, Enrique, Spiderman and the fringe players to shorten the wage bill and get a few freebies plus a couple of nominal amount type players on far smaller wages.

if ashley tries to sell up in the summer then he's an even bigger idiot than we all thought possible. thankfully i think he'll stay put for now and give us modest transfer budget, £10m-£12m, plus sales, which should be enough.

Cash in on Butt?  Fair play to him if he can get money for a free agent.

Guest malandro

There’s no way he’ll officially put the club up for sale again. A full season of winning games has turned the heat right down and he’d be mad to pull that stunt again. I think it’ll all be about getting the wage bill down, moving on high earners and creating a profit margin. Which of the high earners we could shift is another matter. Taylor looks the most likely to leave and we might get shot of Smith if we’re lucky. After that the only really big earner that might arouse some interest would be Sideshow.

I think a few people on here are in for a shock next season. While we have pissed a poor division, some performances have been bloody awful. Our team/squad is worse than the one that got relegated. £20m is a minimum for me, including a proven quality striker for starters.

I hate to say it, but i can see us taking some serious spankings next year. Obviously it will come down to the matches against relegation rivals as to whether we stay up.

Guest malandro

I think a few people on here are in for a shock next season. While we have pissed a poor division, some performances have been bloody awful. Our team/squad is worse than the one that got relegated. £20m is a minimum for me, including a proven quality striker for starters.

I hate to say it, but i can see us taking some serious spankings next year. Obviously it will come down to the matches against relegation rivals as to whether we stay up.

This is why I mentioned WBA and Forest. They’re the best gauge we currently have of how we might fair in next seasons ‘six-pointers’ and our record against them is decidedly average.

Hes kind of talking sense. Were playing catch up and the rest of the clubs in the division are going to be improving their squads as well.

Well if we have to spend that much then West Brom and Forest have no chance either.

Reckon 10-15 mil.Hughton has done very well so far on a tight budget so I think we will be ok.Need a goalscorer and a beast of a defensive midfielder,a right back as well,Simpson has struggled against championship sides so dont think he will fair any better in the premiership