Acceptable transfer budget

bealios

A lot of people on this forum have commented that it is too soon to judge whether things have improved at board level, and the test will be this summer when we find out what funds are made available to strengthen the team.

Assuming we go up and dont have any big player sales, what do you thing would be an acceptable transfer budget for Ashley to make available to achieve next seasons goals (which surely must be at best to aim for a mid table finish and move on from there)?

I reckon £15m - £20m would give us a good chance of finishing above 7 or 8 of the lesser teams in the Premier League.

To run the club as it should be £15-20million sounds about right. Anything less and Ashley would be giving his critics another round of ammunition. While I appreciate there is a limit to spending these days, a club like Newcastle should be greeting a return to the premier with some real intent.

Guest neesy111

I expect 20-30M and think we need the same amount!

If ashley wants to make some money back, he need's to make sure we stay up

To run the club as it should be £15-20million sounds about right. Anything less and Ashley would be giving his critics another round of ammunition. While I appreciate there is a limit to spending these days, a club like Newcastle should be greeting a return to the premier with some real intent.

Especially considering the amount of cost-cutting that has been done in the past two seasons.

When/if we return, we will be in a much better (solid) financial state, which should be the platform to invest sensibly in the first team.

I don't expect Mike Ashley to spend vast amounts or spend money he hasn't got, just to show his commitment in moving the club forward... be it 2m or 20m.

£15m could perhaps get 3 players capable of getting us to mid-table.

All depends on who is spending the money really. A Wenger would use 15m far better than that, a Souness would piss it all away.

We have Chris Hughton, who like it or not wouldn't spend 15m on three players.

£15m could perhaps get 3 players capable of getting us to mid-table.

That would be acceptable progress in all honesty. It would be nice to buy players for Europe but for that we'd need half a team and £50million.

Around the £18m mark, imo.

However, it'll be interesting to see how many players we might be forced into selling to churn up a reasonable budget- not that we have room to have a firesale, no matter how much we need one.

Guest Stephen927

Sunderland spent £30m when they came up, and were still in a relegation battle. I don't think we will have their problem of attracting players to play for the club, we will have considerably less to spend in the window, it's all about spending it correctly. Hughtons signings in January have on the most part proven to be good, bar Best.

Sunderland spent £30m when they came up, and were still in a relegation battle. I don't think we will have their problem of attracting players to play for the club, we will have considerably less to spend in the window, it's all about spending it correctly. Hughtons signings in January have on the most part proven to be good, bar Best.

Sunderland pissed away on shite like Richardson and Chopra which cost them 10m alone.

We won't be going down that route, expect Hughton to be doing similar business to that of January.

Sensible squad building, but with slightly better players than Hall and Best, would be a decent plan.

For the first team, we need a couple of dynamic, mobile midfielders... one of which would need to be a bit creative. To get those for our budget they would probably need to be unknowns I guess.

Just hope we don't end up with West Ham's overrated cast offs.

I think we need a lot more than £15m - £20m. The problem is that our defence looks fairly sound, and we don't need a new keeper urgently, as we have decent back up as well. So our main requirements are in midfield and Premier League class striker. That tends to be more expensive than any other part of the team, but it could be the difference between staying up and going down. Bent at Sunderland being the classic example.

Robbie Keane would be my shout for that sort of player.

£15-£20 million is needed and spend correctly. And lets be honest, the new foreign TV money gives clubs an increase of that very amount aswell, so that on top of the other Premier League money could easily see the club have an increased revenue of around £80m-£100m since previouse seasons it was around the £40m-£60m mark.