Newcastle United 2 - 0 Nott'm Forest - 29/03/10 - post match reaction from p15

Dave

Guest optimistic nit

Gives his man far too much space and doesn't have the anticipation of a Colo to block the incoming pass. His form has completely dipped since that motm performance at PNE. Needs to be replaced in the starting Xl.

Agree 100%. I was singing his praises after that PNE match, but he genuinely shouldn't be near the first XI.

http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2007/12/05/7HJCpY6K.jpg

would be good right back like, even gets forward more tbf

Agree. Would much rather him at RB. We'll see...

I might get some stick here, but this was the first chance I really got to analyse Williamson for a full game. To me he seems a little ponderous and slow, he's big strong and physical and easily good enough for this division, I would worry though next year when he comes up against the likes of Tevez, Rooney and Torres.

my first impressions of him were that he didn't at all like players running at him, although i didn't notice much wrong with tonights performance.

as for simpson he's easily good enough for the championship, so im not worried about him till the summer. to be fair to him its quite easy to look bad when your playing alongside colo and jose in the best defence in the league and it would be hard to attract much better than him at the moment.

Guest optimistic nit

Watching today Colo's movement off of Williamson, he reacted very well predicting when Williamson is going to close down, etc. I think they have a very good understanding, and Colo can read his game comfortably. Personally, I'm much more comfortable with that CH pairing than the seemingly random Taylor and Colo.

just going to confirm we are talking about ryan taylor here? :razz:

Thoroughly enjoyed the match once i'd recovered from my climb up mount Milburn. Had a great view despite the altitude sickness.

Thought we bossed the game from start to finish. We were a bit sloppy in the final third throughout the first half but we never really looked like conceding so I was always confident we'd get the win.

Great goal and backheel by Shola

Great performance at the back by Colo and Williamson (who is fast become one of my new favourite players)

Fucking brillaint to see Jose score, and what a performance to go with it. His name will be on my shirt next season

Bring on Sheffield United and another climb up the 4000 stairs

Well done to all the lads.  Fantastic result.  I thought the effort across the park was magnificient.  I would take this 11 over any of the previous starting 11 from our last few years in the SKY league.  Really worked for each other.

Thought enrique was his usual brilliant self but I thought Williamson was MOTM.  He was a f**king rock at the back!

On a completely seperate note.... can I just say I big F**K YOU!!! to east coast trains.  Sick of missing last minute goals cos of leaving early to get the last train home. GRRR!!!

The good thing is, you'd assume Hughton targeted Perch as a replacement. He knows he isn't quite up to it.

If Perch is an indication of Hughton's eye for a player I'm well impressed. He was outstanding against Jonas last night.

I thought Jose's goal may be the best moment of the season. But then I remembered the Barnsley match, Shola's hattrick, the server crash when Ranger scored, demolishing Ipswich and Cardiff, Lovenkrands scoring after his dad died, the comeback against Bristol City and of course the Spiderman mask.

What a fantastic season its been and theres been some memories I'll cherish forever. Obviously its great to get out of this division, but just when being a Toon fan became a chore, this season has reinvigorated my love for this club. We'll all look back at this year with some very fond memories. I've really loved this season  :aww:

Great post. After the agony of Hull, Fulham, Villa etc last season is just what the fans deserved.

Total credit to Chris Hughton, Colin Calderwood and the rest of the backroom staff and senior players for their totally professional approach to this season's challenges.

Thought Forest were lively last night and that the slick surface suited them early on with the pace they have. Once again it was a TEAM performance that got us there but thought Williamson, Nolan and Routledge deserve mentions although so do many others too.

Like a few others I really wonder where the 6,000 supposedly empty seats were ?

I hope this spirit and upward momentum can be carried on in the big league, we now have a lot going for us and some decent players too. It could, in time, be the right stage for top youngsters like Krul, Kadar and Ranger too.

Summer's investment will have to be positive and sensible, let's hope for signings like Rob Lee, Phillipe Albert or even Routlegde and no more Owen, Luque or Boumsong type deals.

anyone leaving the Leazes middle after FT see the Forest fan leaning over, making cut-throat gestures?  :lol:  He was getting really irate and the steward about 3 feet away was just laughing at him, while the steward next to us below was just shouting up while laughing, "Stevie man, just hoy 'im oot!"

Same lad just after Enrique's goal lifted his shirt up, I think to imply all geordies are fat, however he himself was far from trim.

I took a friend, who is a Leeds United supporter, to the match with me last night and was well impressed with how organised we were from back to front. Every time we went forward there were at least 4 players in the box, evey time we had to defend the CBs were totally in-tune with each other, no long ball blasts from the back or hoofing the ball into row z.

Hughton and Calderwood have got the team so well drilled in all areas of the pitch and it's fantastic to see.

Fantastic to see all the slide tackles being thrown about.  And the amount of times Nolan threw himself in front of the ball was great.  It was like watching a huge cow sliding along the grass.

Just a word for Nolan...I've laid into him from day one but he's actually a very good player technically, far better than I realised. Which is why it's such a disgrace he's allowed himself to slip to such a poor level of fitness at what should be the prime of his age. We won't be able to carry him in the premier so we should thank him for his services and sell in the summer.

Just a word for Nolan...I've laid into him from day one but he's actually a very good player technically, far better than I realised. Which is why it's such a disgrace he's allowed himself to slip to such a poor level of fitness at what should be the prime of his age. We won't be able to carry him in the premier so we should thank him for his services and sell in the summer.

If he, or any of the training staff for that matter, had any sense - Nolan would be on some sort of training schedule this summer to get in shape for the next season.

He's a good influence and talker on the pitch - I just wish he could run for more than 20 mins.

If he, or any of the training staff for that matter, had any sense - Nolan would be on some sort of training schedule this summer to get in shape for the next season.

He's a good influence and talker on the pitch - I just wish he could run for more than 20 mins.

I don't want to get hung up on the Nolan fitness debate again (more appearances than anyone else this season) but I don't think it'd be possible in a genetic sense for him to change from the heavy set lump that he is now to a svelt athlete. He's always been "fat".

I don't want to get hung up on the Nolan fitness debate again (more appearances than anyone else this season) but I don't think it'd be possible in a genetic sense for him to change from the heavy set lump that he is now to a svelt athlete. He's always been "fat".

Andy Reid

Guest icemanblue

I might be wrong here but I'm sure Nolan made a massive lung busting run into their box in about the 85th minute. Not bad for a supposedly unfit man.

He did indeed. In fact, he rarely stopped running at all last night.

Steven Carr looks much fitter and stronger this season BTW.

I don't buy the idea that some people can never be fit, it's all about hard work. Look at Enrique, he's a big lad but he's worked hard to get into shape.

Yep. No one will convince me that Nolan isn't carrying excess weight which he could lose if he changed his diet/lifestyle. I don't know what he eats (or drinks which might have a more significant bearing) but the double chin isn't genetic.

Steven Carr looks much fitter and stronger this season BTW.

I don't buy the idea that some people can never be fit, it's all about hard work. Look at Enrique, he's a big lad but he's worked hard to get into shape.

Yep. No one will convince me that Nolan isn't carrying excess weight which he could lose if he changed his diet/lifestyle. I don't know what he eats (or drinks which might have a more significant bearing) but the double chin isn't genetic.

I'm sure one of the other players (may have been coaches) said that Nolan was the best trainer at the club and also the fittest player. His body frame makes his body shape and he covers a lot of ground on the pitch.

When he is skipper he is brilliant at organising and cajoling the best out of the other players. He is also hilarious when trying to put the oppos keeper off at Free kicks.

Guest Phil K

Text of Davies' interview from .com

"I'd like to congratulate Chris, his staff and players and everybody at this football club. I'd like to wish them all the very best in their challenge in the Premier League.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

"All season they've been very resilient - they've showed a lot of good experience and they've done very well and obviously we would like to congratulate them. There's no doubt they have been very worthy winners in my opinion.  :clap:

"That doesn't mean I'm giving up on promotion because I think with six games left we are still in a real fight  for second placewith West Brom.

"But I firmly believe Newcastle will finish the job. They have the players, the experience, the momentum and the infrastructure in place. :clap2:

"They know how to win when they are not at their best. My young players haven't got the experience and the know-how

to do that yet - but we are still in there fighting."

Sky sports only played the highlighted part this morning !

Harper 7 - Very solid. Not much to do.

Simpson 6.5  - Not terrible but seems the weakest link in our otherwise very strong defence. Allows players to get crosses in too often by standing off them for too long and lumps high hopefull balls when he could play it to feet.

Coloccini 8 Good however let Tyson have a free volley at goal which he luckily messed up.

Williamson 8.5 - Impressive.

Enrique 9.5 -  MOM What a player! We'll do very very well to hold on to him next year.

Routledge 8 - Good most of the time. So fast, but lacks that little bit of intelligence and class touch at times.

Nolan 7 - One of his better performances.

Guthrie 8 - Another good performance in his favoured position. Needs a quality partner for next year.

Jonas 8 - A constant thorn in forests side. Best player in this league for me. Again we will do well to hold on to him and Enrique.

Lovenkrands 7 - Some good play.

Carroll 7 - Needs to learn when to shoot early. As usual some very good hold up play and won alot of headers. Definately gives us another dimension.

Ameobi 9 - Won us the game. Great turn and pin point accurate shot for first goal and loved the cheeky back heal for our second.

Barton  - Not on long enough to grade.

Hughton 9 - Special mention for CH who picked the best possible team, employed the best tactics and made all the right decisions last night.

Guest Phil K

Pretty sure we had the biggest attendance in the UK this weekend.

Odd how the attendances make rival fans rant against us - really gets under their skin for some reason.

Possibly because they (like the rags) expected us to be getting HALF of what we actually are - just petulant disappointment that we AREN'T what they keep claiming we are ?