Would it be wrong to expect more than just survival next season?

Guest Howaythetoon

Have a look at the starting midfield 4 from most games last season. Not as good as this years 4 in general. With the right investment and the right stewardship from Hughton, we can easily stay up. Two very big uncertainties though. Minimally expect £20m and for Hughton to adapt our game plan considerably.

Guest cla1dwa

we are better than west brom and forest. that has been proven this season.

in our current state we are better than burnley, hull, and wigan. at least one of those will survive.

so, if we can, based on the players we have at our disposal right now, claim to be better than three premiership sides, then we will stay up. investment is one thing but correct buys are another. however, i think we should be looking at a season of lower table consolidation, finishing around 13/14th. i'd be happy with that and i think it's achievable. birmingham are the example we should follow.

history stands us in good stead. few teams go up as champions and go back down, and the bottom half of the table (west ham, blackburn, bolton, stoke, sunderland as well as the aforementioned relegation candidates) is hardly dripping with quality. however, we need to keep things stable off the pitch. a team including the likes of given, owen, martins, duff, barton, nolan, coloccini, gutierrez and enrique was far better player for player than hull, and we all know what happened then.

Our aim should be to win the Prem or whats the point of being in it? you set out to win EVERY game and that is how it should be.

1 match at a time and try to win it, no points target no place target just go out to win every match.

We need backup for the wings next year. When Routledge and Jonas have been out for whatever reason (Like at Peterborough) or before we signed Routledge, then we've looked rubbish and been unable to threaten teams. We can limp by in this league doing that, but if we set our stall out against the likes of Man U like that we'll get thrashed. And if one thing's guaranteed, it's that people will get injured.

2 good wingers and a right back for me, please. CM isn't exactly great but Guthrie, Barton, Smith and Nolan offer enough to keep us up provided they play centrally. Sticking Barton at LM is not an option though when playing against the big boys.

We need backup for the wings next year. When Routledge and Jonas have been out for whatever reason (Like at Peterborough) or before we signed Routledge, then we've looked rubbish and been unable to threaten teams. We can limp by in this league doing that, but if we set our stall out against the likes of Man U like that we'll get thrashed. And if one thing's guaranteed, it's that people will get injured.

2 good wingers and a right back for me, please. CM isn't exactly great but Guthrie, Barton, Smith and Nolan offer enough to keep us up provided they play centrally. Sticking Barton at LM is not an option though when playing against the big boys.

For me the reason we've looked rubbish without them is precisely because our Central Midfield offers very little. If we can get a couple of good CMs then we could cope at times with just having 1 of our first choice wingers as we'd have creativity in other parts of the park. Admittedly, one back up would be useful, but to spend big on two 'good wingers' which we'd have to do, would be to blow a budget better spent in other areas. Full back and CM / CF are the areas I'd like to see most dealings taking part. I'd even be tempted, in the event Jonas was out of the team, to give Kadar a go at LB and move Jose up to LM.

CHRIS HUGHTON will be given £15million to make Newcastle a Premier League force again.

With owner Mike Ashley running a tight ship on Tyneside, gone are the days when millions were wasted on fees and wages.

Hughton will instead look to add shrewd summer buys to the core of his promotion-winning squad in a bid to keep Toon in the top flight.

Back in 2005, a whopping £30m was spent by then boss Graeme Souness, including £16m on £100,000-per-week striker Michael Owen.

But a Toon source told SunSport: "The days of big spending at Newcastle are over.

"Mike has formulated a rigid business plan and will stick to it no matter what.

"He is looking at making sure Chris can compete with the bottom nine in the Premier League and will give him the funds to do so.

"Cost-cutting measures over the past year have ensured the club will go back up on a sound financial footing.

"Players will come in - but they won't be paying over the odds for anyone. This is the new Newcastle."

Ashley has been delighted with Hughton but there will be no parades through Newcastle even if the title is won in the next five games.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2922491/Hughtons-15m-Toon-kitty.html#ixzz0kPMnIPXO

There's Mike Ashley's ambitions for next season. Can't say it's any big surprise tbh.

I found themost interesting thing said on Monday by Hughton.

Now we are up,  we have to stay there. Its good to have a new Target.

I firmly believe the players are commited to the cause, after what happened, and that with this investment we will achieve mid table. Doubt we will ever get the investment needed to get near Europe, for that you need surgar daddy owners willing to lose big money.

I think its about time this club was run on a sensible budget, within its turnover, so lets see what it brings.

For me the reason we've looked rubbish without them is precisely because our Central Midfield offers very little. If we can get a couple of good CMs then we could cope at times with just having 1 of our first choice wingers as we'd have creativity in other parts of the park. Admittedly, one back up would be useful, but to spend big on two 'good wingers' which we'd have to do, would be to blow a budget better spent in other areas. Full back and CM / CF are the areas I'd like to see most dealings taking part. I'd even be tempted, in the event Jonas was out of the team, to give Kadar a go at LB and move Jose up to LM.

But we need 2 players for every position. Every club does. That means 2 left wingers and 2 right wingers. You can't buy "a winger" and use him as cover for left and right, it's 2 different positions. Same as left back and right back.

I'm not suggesting 2 international class players in every position, but at least people who are competent and will ensure the person incumbent with the shirt can't see their form dip without fear of being dropped. And as cover for injuries, ofc.

Guest Roger Kint

We used to have the 5th highest wage bill in England a year ago. I wonder if we will even be in the top half of the premier for wages by this time next year?

Hope not, would like to see us establish midtable over next 2 years first before that

We used to have the 5th highest wage bill in England a year ago. I wonder if we will even be in the top half of the premier for wages by this time next year?

i would see it more as an achievement if our league position was higher than our wage paying position.

Guest Phil K

In the Prem, if you EXPECT to finish in the gutter, thats where you'll end up.

Problem is, footballers look for any excuse to not produce.

Give them one before we even START and they'll grasp it happily.

Compete witht he bottom 9 whats the fkn point, :lol: I mean set your sights high for the love of god £15mill PAH!

you've got me thinking--wasn't competing w/ the bottom 9 just what we were doing in our relegation season?  and that with a much higher wage bill & far less heart & team unity.    so, first things first & one thing at a time for me.  heck, i'd be satisfied (but not pleased or even content) with 17th next year.

People are in for a shock at the gap, imo we would struggle against Wolves and they're no great shakes.

Investment is needed in new players. We need 2 x PL level strikers who will push the current lot into the role of squad members. We need at least one central midfielder and we need a better RB to turn Simpson into a squad player. We need a backup LB, Enrique isn't going to play every game. These 5 are needed before the season starts, not on the last day of the transfer window.  This is the minimum requirement imo.

If we're comfortable enough at Christmas I'd hope to see another push in January if Ashley has the proper level of ambition for the club.

Overall, I'd be more confident if Ashley cashed in and sold to someone who knows what they're doing, I just don't trust him to get things right, especially with Llambias involved. He should be offering me that job, as I've said before...

People are in for a shock at the gap, imo we would struggle against Wolves and they're no great shakes.

Investment is needed in new players. We need 2 x PL level strikers who will push the current lot into the role of squad members. We need at least one central midfielder and we need a better RB to turn Simpson into a squad player. We need a backup LB, Enrique isn't going to play every game. These 5 are needed before the season starts, not on the last day of the transfer window.  This is the minimum requirement imo.

If we're comfortable enough at Christmas I'd hope to see another push in January if Ashley has the proper level of ambition for the club.

Overall, I'd be more confident if Ashley cashed in and sold to someone who knows what they're doing, I just don't trust him to get things right, especially with Llambias involved. He should be offering me that job, as I've said before...

not a chance of getting that lot.

not a chance of getting that lot.

I agree. It's going to be a long, hard slog.

CHRIS HUGHTON will be given £15million to make Newcastle a Premier League force again.

With owner Mike Ashley running a tight ship on Tyneside, gone are the days when millions were wasted on fees and wages.

Hughton will instead look to add shrewd summer buys to the core of his promotion-winning squad in a bid to keep Toon in the top flight.

Back in 2005, a whopping £30m was spent by then boss Graeme Souness, including £16m on £100,000-per-week striker Michael Owen.

But a Toon source told SunSport: "The days of big spending at Newcastle are over.

"Mike has formulated a rigid business plan and will stick to it no matter what.

"He is looking at making sure Chris can compete with the bottom nine in the Premier League and will give him the funds to do so.

"Cost-cutting measures over the past year have ensured the club will go back up on a sound financial footing.

"Players will come in - but they won't be paying over the odds for anyone. This is the new Newcastle."

Ashley has been delighted with Hughton but there will be no parades through Newcastle even if the title is won in the next five games.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2922491/Hughtons-15m-Toon-kitty.html#ixzz0kPMnIPXO

There's Mike Ashley's ambitions for next season. Can't say it's any big surprise tbh.

The big four are miles away, the next four are a few seasons away as well. Fulham look good and Birmingham will have money to spend this summer as well. What else were you expecting next season?

If we can finish somewhere around 10th place, I'll be thrilled. There's no reason, with the size of the club and the support that we have that we can't stay up next year and slowly build a team that could compete for places in Europe. But that's a few years down the road, realistically.

We've tried over the past few years to spend big and overreact when not getting great results and look where it got us. I welcome a few years of slowly building a club with dedicated and likable players.

Guest Brummiemag

We should be aiming for and expecting a lot more than survival next season.

If Ashley has any intention of staying around and turning us into a top team in a few years time then I would expect him to invest a minimum of £20m net, hopefully more than that.  If he isnt even prepared to do that then expect to look forward to years and years of scraping around in the lower half of the table playing shit football with nothing more than survival the objective

We already have the basis of a decent team (Harper, Enrique, Colli, Barton, Jonas and Carol).

Keep them all and buy 3 or 4 quality players with the 20 million and no reason why we can't finish mid table playing decent football, maybe with a cup run. Following season push on from there.