Would it be wrong to expect more than just survival next season?

Guest Howaythetoon

I expect comfortable survival(10-14) and not a to-the-last-game-scrape for survival(15-17).  So I don't expect more than survival but a good kind of survival ... if that makes sense.

I consider Sunderland to have survived comfortably this season. Would that be acceptable?

Not really, no.  I would think we'd be able to put up a double digit gap between ourselves and the strugglers with more than 5 games remaining.  For me they've left it late to pull away.

Guest Brummiemag

I hope we will play some decent football next season, I don't want us going away from home playing eleven men behind the ball.

I expect us to aim for more than survival, we have the core of a good footballing team (Jonas, Colli, Barton, Enrique, Carol), spend £20 million on 3 or 4 quality players and no reason why we can't finish mid table playing decent football along with a good cup run.

It would be wrong to expect less than 4th place, for such a massive club.

Someday i hope we can be as big as Watford.

Well, that's why we're all on a Watford forum, after all.

Man, you should see how shit those things are. Honestly.

When a club wins promotion to the top-flight survival is usually the be all and end all. Would it be wrong to expect more than just survival next season?

Yes, we are fucking shite and full of Championship level players. We have pissed a very poor league. Survival would be an achievement

Guest loven Mag 11

steve Claridge (MOTD pundit wanna be) thinks the current squad would finish between 12th and 15th in the PL!

i very much doubt that, with our current CM's and lack of PL quality strike force, we would be lucky to avoid a lowest points total.

Guest loven Mag 11

Not wrong at all, based on the crap at the bottom, but if all we achieve is retaining our PL status by the end of next year then we should not be too disappointed.

i wouldnt be disappointed  at all. infact i would be overwelmed if the current group of players kept us in the prem, even if it was by GD.

but we should easily finish around 12th, if we sign some players.

There is no way the current squad would finish 12th or even 14th.

in the current prem we probably would stay up with the current squad (pompey being awful and points deduction, laws being utterly useless hull west ham not much better) but next season who knows, im seriously wondering now who out of west ham hull would be better for us to stay up and im thinking hull, dowie would then be appointed but with their financial trouble (large wage bill and need for more cash) i find it hard to see them survive another season. I get the feeling bolton next season will badly struggle as coyle attempts to bring free flowing football there-that usually works out badly for a side which is traditionally scrap by whatever means neccesary to survival, wigan won't be terribly safe and unless mcleish spends very large in the summer its hard to see him repeating this seasons achievments. Wolves will have to watch out for 2nd season syndrome (as will birmingham) and if they lose doyle they will struggle badly. Then of course theres us wba and the playoff winners (please be blackpool) there are my predictions for the relegation shootout next season

I think we can push for midtable. The 20 million (?) chris will be given is enough for a right back, a dominant dentre midfielder and a striker. With these signings and the usual youngsters/loanees we should have a squad that will keep us up.

I reckon that if the attitude is the same next season we should win those hull/stoke/sunland games which are bread and butter to any team looking for survival.

YES, but depending on funds given. 100% confidence in Hughton also, have to admit I had my doubts earlier in the season due to his love fest for Smith/butt but now he seems to have got a grip completely..Well done mate!

Survival has got to be the main priority but as someone else has said, a la Birmingham, you concentrate on game after game and if we should find ourselves in a healthy position and amass the 40 or so points required THEN you look at more.

Depends who we buy. We've still got the same shocking CM we had last season which got us relegated.

Colocinni and co have done well at the back this season, but if say in one game we get battered off Rooney, Drogba or Torres, how long will it be before confidence drops? I would be worried about the effect a few defeats in a row would have.

There's some absolute muck in that league and there's two shite teams from this league coming up with us. Survival is the only realistic expectation as things stand, but we're three significant improvements (to the first XI) from having a semi-decent Premier League side. But they've got to be significant, one in each of the defense, midfield and attack i'd say.

There's some absolute muck in that league and there's two s**** teams from this league coming up with us. Survival is the only realistic expectation as things stand, but we're three significant improvements (to the first XI) from having a semi-decent Premier League side. But they've got to be significant, one in each of the defense, midfield and attack i'd say.

quite happy with the defense...at least 2 in midfield and 2 up front says I.

It would be wrong to expect to not be troubled by the issue of survival, but it wouldn't be wrong to aim to not get dragged into a serious dogfight. As has been mentioned, dare we say, a Sunderland sort of campaign next year, then go from there?