Messi

Thespence

Rooney shines in our league and if he was playing in La Liga, I think he would overshadow Messi.

no way

Why? He is stronger, a better passer of the ball, better in the air has a more powerful shot, I could keep going. What does Messi have over Rooney, with the exception of dribbling and finishing abilty/composure in front of goal?

Rooney is possibly stronger and is better in the air, both of these only due to his height advantage, strength is only possibly as Messi is unbelievably strong. Messi is superior in every other way.

Rooney shines in our league and if he was playing in La Liga, I think he would overshadow Messi.

no way

Why? He is stronger, a better passer of the ball, better in the air has a more powerful shot, I could keep going. What does Messi have over Rooney, with the exception of dribbling and finishing abilty/composure in front of goal?

How come Rooney apparently has a better shot yet hasn't scored a single goal outside of the box this season?

You say Rooney is stronger, fair enough that's probably correct, but then if we're comparing physical attributes strength isn't the be all and end all. Messi has a quicker turn of pace and is far more agile. Different players have different strengths.

Messi scores with both feet, from long range or short range, from open play or from free kicks... his first touch is immaculate, his dribbling ability and turn of direction better than any player I've ever seen. He can take on a multitude of players seemingly effortlessly. His finishing ability is impeccable from any position and he can  put the ball in the back of the net in a plethora of different ways. He can shoot with power, curl it in from a tight angle, chip the keeper, put the ball through the keepers legs etc etc. His aerial ability is technically excellent aswell, he just doesn't have stature or physicality to do it on a regular basis - and lets be fair he doesn't exactly need to be able to when other attributes clearly make up for it.

His vision and passing is excellent aswell ffs, I've watched him come deep to pick the ball up on numerous occasions and then play a defence splitting pass. He doesn't do it on a regular basis because he's generally playing very far up pitch. However when he's played the number #10 role this season he's done it just seemlessly.

I honestly don't see how anybody could say Rooney is the better player and that he has more to his game. If anything not only is Messi a more complete player than Rooney, but he's also more productive than Rooney and a damn site better to watch than Rooney.

I can't believe someone's seriously making the argument that Rooney is better than Messi.

Messi does have quiet games. Who doesn't? Zidane had a ton of quiet games but football is not about one single game. Trophies are not won in a single game, they're won through sustained excellence over a season, even trophies like the CL requires at least 6 quality matches to be played (everything after the group stages). Some people are extremely quick to jump on Messi when he has a quiet game but he's done it in big games and he's done it against the best teams, and he's still only 22. I see him developing into more a playmaker and thus getting more involved in the game. Right now, he's the finisher, he's the guy at the end of the move which he's good at because of his excellent finishing, close control and movement, but he's still developing.

He's not going to score or dominate every match, but that doesn't make him 'shit' or not the best player in the world. He is the best, and his performances throughout this season, against opponents of varying quality, are evidence of this fact.

Rooney is also an excellent player whose finishing has improved dramatically but even though he's been spectacular for Man Utd this season, he's still not as good as Messi is.

Maybe some people are overhyping Messi when they laud him as one of the best ever when he's only 22 and has only done it consistently for 3 years, but if he keeps this up, the list of team achievements and individual awards that he'll have accumulated at the end of his career will speak for itself. If Barca win La Liga and no one rapes the WC, he'll already have 2 world player of the year awards at only 23. If he keeps up his current form, he'll easily rack up 5 or 6 wpoty awards and that'll put him comfortably in the discussion for the best player ever.

Edit: His impact on each match is obvious to anyone watching. You can see the opposition team shaping up differently according to wherever he is on the pitch and how one or two midfielders are always following him. Even if he literally does nothing all game, his impact is already significant in terms of the invaluable space that his presence has created for his teammates. I know other players have this impact on matches; Rooney does against the shittier teams, Cristiano does as well, but no one to the extent that Messi does, and I suppose with the other players that Barca have, they take more advantage of this fact than any other team does with their star players.

Guest firetotheworks

no way

Please do, I'm interested to see what else you think Rooney is better at, considering you think Rooney is a better passer of the ball. Long balls might look nice, but unless they are Beckham/Pirlo style, and have intent, or split a defence, they're no better than a goal kick.

There is absolutely no way on earth that Rooney would overshadow Messi in La Liga. The Premier League isn't the yardstick anymore anyway imo.

Messi is streets ahead, man. In La Liga, Rooney would probably get sent off in every game for being so much uglier than everyone else on the pitch.

However, I don't think Messi would last long in the prem. Players over here are far quicker,stronger and just much better defensively, he'd get kicked to bits.

Guest firetotheworks

Messi is streets ahead, man. In La Liga, Rooney would probably get sent off in every game for being so much uglier than everyone else on the pitch.

However, I don't think Messi would last long in the prem. Players over here are far quicker,stronger and just much better defensively, he'd get kicked to bits.

He does in La Liga. And what about when he played Man United in the final and Man United couldnt get anywhere near kicking him, Xavi, or in particular Iniesta? It's an interesting though. It'll never happen, but imagine it man.

Getting kicked by Spaniards is hardly the same, Spaniards get beaten up by their wives. Take those goals he scored in that 4-2 win a few weeks back, there's no way he scores those goals in the prem, he'd get bounced from shoulder to shoulder. He'd be fantastic to a degree, but nowhere near as effective as he is in La Liga.

Getting kicked by Spaniards is hardly the same, Spaniards get beaten up by their wives. Take those goals he scored in that 4-2 win a few weeks back, there's no way he scores those goals in the prem, he'd get bounced from shoulder to shoulder. He'd be fantastic to a degree, but nowhere near as effective as he is in La Liga.

What? :lol: First of all, La Liga is not exclusively Spanish. I think Yaya Toure could kick the hell out of 99 percent of footballers. Secondly, I think in the modern game the levels of physicality do not differ as heavily across Europe as they once did.

It's hard to compare Messi and Rooney coz they are different type of players although both are 'strikers/forwards'. It becomes harder when both players have fans who overhype them.

Messi is clearly the entertainer, the dribbler, the unpredictable, the flair player and definitely more technically sound as well, (perhaps  the faster player too).

Let's not forget though that Messi is playing in front of probably the world's two best midfielders in Xavi and a Iniesta. Man Utd is a good team but the likes of Fletcher, Carrick and old Scholes is probably their weakest midfield combination in years.

Rooney on the other hand is a typical English centre forward, stronger, better header, packs more power in his shots and is streets ahead of Messi in terms of determination, aggression, willingness to fight for the cause (to the point that these attribues can become a liability).

It would be interesting how both players would fare in the other's league. To me, Rooney would probably get a decent amount of goals in La Liga (not as many as in the EPL though) BUT ONLY IF he is surrounded by flair players. If the defence play a waiting and defend deep game, Rooney would be ineffective without those flair players. In the EPL, the emphasis is mostly on attack, even average teams commit players to attack which leaves room for Rooney to exploit. This won't happen in La Liga.

Messi in EPL would also be interesting, Messi on the counter would be even more dangerous than Rooney as he can get past the last man with ease. If the defence defend deep, this is not a problem for Messi as he has the ability to dribble and create something ut of nothing. But Ronaldo is right, if playing against Messi, most EPL teams would just try to physically bully him with strong tackes, elbows and hacks. Messi is no C. Ronaldo in the sense that he is relatively strong and is able to ride tackles, but he is not the battering ram that Rooney is.

In the end, Messi in EPL would not be as good as Rooney and Rooney in La Liga would not be as good as Messi. They are both made for their leagues. 

Messi is playing in an extremely well drilled team, the most feared team in football right now, a team who create chances galore with or without him. He is the focal point of their attack, which is testament to his ability, but also gives him a great platform to show his ability. Rooney is playing in front of one of Man Utd's least creative midfields for a long time, he has been vital to their team this season and their lack of creativity in his absence shows just what he brings to the table. He is a more rounded player than Messi and would fit comfortably into all kinds of teams and succeed wherever he goes because of his skill and workrate.

Messi was quite literally made for Barcelona - a product of their youth system - he is in the perfect team for his abilities too. If you look at his form for Argentina he has struggled to shine in a less cohesive team. Time will tell how well he can adapt. He is the more gifted, but less rounded (no pun intended), player. He may be the better of the two but there are some games where I'd honestly rather have Rooney in my team.

Messi is in the better form but look at who he's playing for. The World Cup will be a good indicator of what he can do. Time will tell what both achieve in their careers as a lot of players who peak early struggle to maintain their form, motivation and so on. Ronaldinho is a prime example and C.Ronaldo's form has unquestionably dipped. Both, at the peak of their careers, were as good as Messi is now. It is rare that you get a player like Zidane, Maradona etc who dominate at the highest level for so long.

Guest firetotheworks

He scored a hat trick against Arsenal, he walked all over Man United. Whether you think they're tough or not, they're still two of the best teams in the league, which is enough.

What? :lol: First of all, La Liga is not exclusively Spanish. I think Yaya Toure could kick the hell out of 99 percent of footballers. Secondly, I think in the modern game the levels of physicality do not differ as heavily across Europe as they once did.

I agree, but come on, if you're gonna give an example, give an example of someone who doesn't play for Barca.

In the end, Messi in EPL would not be as good as Rooney and Rooney in La Liga would not be as good as Messi. They are both made for their leagues. 

Is pretty much what I think. It's kind of hard to prove though. I'd say "Messi in EPL would not be as good as Messi in La Liga, and Rooney in La Liga wouldn't be as good as Rooney in EPL" is a better way of putting it. Of course, without saying EPL, cos everyone will go APESHIT.

Guest firetotheworks

I just dont get it. The gap in quality between Rooney and Messi is almost astronomical. Rooney on a good day is like Messi on an average day.

Messi is singled out all the time in La Liga, and when he's played against English teams he's been just as effective. He's undoubtedly the best, at every level.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree that Messi is quite clearly the best player in the world by far. Would like to see him in a match against Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton however, think he'd absolutely s*** himself.

He gets kicked all over the place in La Liga though, and it doesnt stop him. I dont see the difference. It's not like Messi is like Robinho. Ferdinand, and particularly Vidic can be nasty bastards, and he wasn't afraid of them. I think if he was the type to lack any kind of courage then he wouldn't be where he is now. He's always been smaller than everyone else.

I agree that Messi is quite clearly the best player in the world by far. Would like to see him in a match against Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton however, think he'd absolutely s*** himself.

He gets kicked all over the place in La Liga though, and it doesnt stop him. I dont see the difference. It's not like Messi is like Robinho. Ferdinand, and particularly Vidic can be nasty bastards, and he wasn't afraid of them. I think if he was the type to lack any kind of courage then he wouldn't be where he is now. He's always been smaller than everyone else.

Players like Vidic can actually play though. The likes of Blackburn will go out simply to injure him. Wouldn't surprise me if he were to destroy a time like that, would just be interesting to see.

He scored a hat trick against Arsenal, he walked all over Man United. Whether you think they're tough or not, they're still two of the best teams in the league, which is enough.

Am I missing something, when did Messi walked all over Man United???

In the EPL, Arsenal is as far as you can get in terms of being an English team. Arsenal's philosophy is to attack and play beautiful football which is exactly the type of teams that Messi loves playing against. Still don't think he will do as well as Rooney against defenders who go out to nail and bully strikers