Messi

Thespence

Mourinho > Pep, rather.

Inter did what we all expected they would do, I was expecting Pep would have a counter (he isn't shy to change tactics when playing strong opposition, see the past Clásico), but he didn't.

And please don't call me fickle since I still worship the ground that he walks, but he isn't always right.

Inter defended him and generally, Barca, very well. They not only nullified Messi but only Xavi, Ibrahimovic and Alves too.

I also thought the pitch was horrible which was there were so many misplaced passes and a lack of control from both teams, but I'm not sure that it wasn't done on purpose to disrupt's Barca's style.

Mourinho ensured the exact same thing happened at Chelsea when Riijkaard was Barca manager. Had the Stamford Bridge pitch watered even though it was raining heavily and had been for a while. This was when Chelsea went 3-0 up in 30 minutes or something, one of those goals being down to Xavi slipping after receiving a pass, which then immediately lead to a Chelsea goal.

Yet another reason why although he's a brilliant manager, he's the wrong type of brilliant manager imo. He'll cheat his way to victory and couldn't care less about footballing aesthetics. He's like the successful version of Sam Allardyce. Or a more fitting analogy would be Sir Bobby being Obi Wan Kenobi and Mourinho being Anakin Skywalker - the prodigy who went bad after learning the ropes from the good master.

Inter defended him and generally, Barca, very well. They not only nullified Messi but only Xavi, Ibrahimovic and Alves too.

I also thought the pitch was horrible which was there were so many misplaced passes and a lack of control from both teams, but I'm not sure that it wasn't done on purpose to disrupt's Barca's style.

Mourinho ensured the exact same thing happened at Chelsea when Riijkaard was Barca manager. Had the Stamford Bridge pitch watered even though it was raining heavily and had been for a while. This was when Chelsea went 3-0 up in 30 minutes or something, one of those goals being down to Xavi slipping after receiving a pass, which then immediately lead to a Chelsea goal.

Yet another reason why although he's a brilliant manager, he's the wrong type of brilliant manager imo. He'll cheat his way to victory and couldn't care less about footballing aesthetics. He's like the successful version of Sam Allardyce. Or a more fitting analogy would be Sir Bobby being Obi Wan Kenobi and Mourinho being Anakin Skywalker - the prodigy who went bad after learning the ropes from the good master.

:lol: not far wrong. and I think that would make Van Gaal the emperor.

You can see why the pint size wizard skipped playing footie in Argentina as we have saw many times before when he has played for La Albiceleste he has not been as good when up against a load of South Americans.  South Americans defenders & DMs are brought up playing against the "gifted 10s" not many European grown defenders are.

How do you mean? Get back and get compact?

It is more to do with the individual they are used to & have grown up playing against "10's" in South America as every game they play it is more than likely the oppo has one, skill levels range from Marinelli, Ortega, Buonanotte,Riquelme,Aimar, D'Alessandro though. Likewise Brazilians defensive players grow playing against them as well. Messi has not grew playing against South American defenders of course he has come against many but that inter team was packed with tonight which was not a surprise.  I have watched  Messi many times playing for Argentina in Copa & WC qualifies games & he has never reached the level only he can.

They certainly don't hone the willingness to get back and be compact in Argentinian league games because there is absolutely none of it. Aside from Estudiantes the other 5 teams i saw over there were as open as you liked at the back.

You can see why the pint size wizard skipped playing footie in Argentina as we have saw many times before when he has played for La Albiceleste he has not been as good when up against a load of South Americans.  South Americans defenders & DMs are brought up playing against the "gifted 10s" not many European grown defenders are.

It is more to do with the individual they are used to & have grown up playing against "10's" in South America as every game they play it is more than likely the oppo has one, skill levels range from Marinelli, Ortega, Buonanotte,Riquelme,Aimar, D'Alessandro though. Likewise Brazilians defensive players grow playing against them as well. Messi has not grew playing against South American defenders of course he has come against many but that inter team was packed with tonight which was not a surprise.  I have watched  Messi many times playing for Argentina in Copa & WC qualifies games & he has never reached the level only he can.

They certainly don't hone the willingness to get back and be compact in Argentinian league games because there is absolutely none of it. Aside from Estudiantes the other 5 teams i saw over there were as open as you liked at the back.

Spot on, this is what I mean about it being the individual player who knows how to deal with these magicians who wear "10".

Spot on, this is what I mean about it being the individual player who knows how to deal with these magicians who wear "10".

Probably why smaller more mobile all round defender usually comes from Sth America - Cordoba, Ayala, Samuel even Coloccini even though he didn't play much for Boca. They learn their individual skills but then when they move to Europe they learn more about team defending as a unit etc.

Not sure how anyone can look at that and think it was definitely with intent, you never see Messi's eyes and he certainly doesn't visibly move his elbow towards Maicon.

I certainly wouldn't be shocked, I've never seen him as some sort of angel or anything, but I'm not sure an Inter fan and Real fan are the two most unbiased opinions on the matter. :lol:

As for Messi's form, I wonder if the hype after the Arsenal game has maybe gone to his head a bit? Last night and the Espanyol game at the weekend he seemed to be trying too much, trying to take on multiple defenders at once in place where it's really not been on. What he's always been very good at is not wasting the ball by trying too much and ignoring his teammates if they're in a better position to do something with it, few times in the last couple of games he's missed chances to put teammates in by trying to go himself.

Also, it's amazing how much they're missing Iniesta.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no intent in that Maicon incident. :lol: He's looking the other way as he jumps and his shoulder collides with Maicon. If that was intentional then Messi has done very well to disguise it as an accident.

Shoulder?

Can a shoulder blast your teeth out like that?

no way man, no f***ing way, maybe not wanted to knock him out like that but he sure puts in a good effort to hit him instead of getting out of the way.

Maybe it was more him trying to defend his own body but no need to put your elbow towards the face like that.

You seriously need to look at this again, it's his shoulder, if you can't see that then you're a slight window licker.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no intent in that Maicon incident. :lol: He's looking the other way as he jumps and his shoulder collides with Maicon. If that was intentional then Messi has done very well to disguise it as an accident.

This, just watched it, no way that was intentional.

This, just watched it, no way that was intentional.

agreed

Guest Heneage

Would be interesting to see if he could keep this ''best player in the world'' tag in the prem.

On a rainy tuesday night in Wigan perhaps? The ultimate Andy Gray Sky test for any potential wannabe superstar, shitty northern towns midweek.

Haha yeah. Seriously though, I don't think he'd be half the player in this league. Look what happened to him last night, Mourinho essentially used Premiership defensive tactics to put him under pressure and double up on him whenever possible.

Rooney shines in our league and if he was playing in La Liga, I think he would overshadow Messi.

I doubt he cares less about whether he'd be able to cope in the Premier League. It's the same with that whole 'never scored against English teams' statistic that gets banded about on certain players (Messi and Zlatan for example). Outside of England I doubt anybody even realises these statistics exist.

I mean, before last season's CL final when the English media repeatedly talked about Messi having never scored against an English team, did the Spanish media do a similar thing about the fact that Ronaldo had also never scored against a Spanish side?

Rooney shines in our league and if he was playing in La Liga, I think he would overshadow Messi.

no way

Why? He is stronger, a better passer of the ball, better in the air has a more powerful shot, I could keep going. What does Messi have over Rooney, with the exception of dribbling and finishing abilty/composure in front of goal?