Shola's Testimonial

Ocho

Shouldn't Given get one too? (and Harper)

harper yes. too late for given now he's gone

Would be more than happy to go to Given's if he wanted us to play in it. Although I would prob go anyway if he wanted to play Ireland.

Unless he donates it all to charity this will be one of the worst attended testimonials for years.  :undecided:

He hasn't got one yet, this is all speculation.

Oh aye, I know that. Was just...speculating. :)

Oh aye, I know that. Was just...speculating. :)

I read "this will" and thought that you thought something was actually happening.  :lol:

It will, one day. He's entitled to it and he'll get it.

Scary to think he's been here 10 years.  :kinnear:

It will, one day. He's entitled to it and he'll get it.

Scary to think he's been here 10 years.  :kinnear:

I'd be surprised if he would take one, I would think he would understand that he wasn't going to draw a big crowd, he'd get less than Rob Lee did.

Guest toonlass

You know we all got free scarves at Shearer's testimonial, would we all get a free apple at Shola's?

You know we all got free scarves at Shearer's testimonial, would we all get a free apple at Shola's?

Free hat I'd imagine.

Free hat I'd imagine.

A fucking linesman's flag no doubt.

He will be here next season. All the usual signs are pointing towards it. I am already resigned to it.

the day he signs a contract extension is the day i buy a season ticket :)

Guest KeithKettleborough

Testimonials were originally given to players who were paid a pittance, to help them after they retired. As stated here it was for long service and probably 10 years was the "qualifying time".

These days, with millionaires and even the Sholas of this world very wealthy men, they should be consigned to the history books and ended just like many of the old traditional aspects of football have ended. Certainly for those players who don't need the extra cash.

Of course they can provide money for charity but like all things in life nowadays, there are folk not connected to the charity who will benefit financially from it including the players themselves. Even Shearer would have made something out of his game, the knock on effects of videos, interviews, merchandising etc all have value to those involved. By making the game a charitable one increases the standing of a player and over time, that will benefit him for sure. Imagine how Al's adulation may have been diminished in many folks eyes if he had taken all the proceeds from his testimonial.

On the plus side the games do bring a lot of pleasure to those who attend and it is you choice whether you spend your cash going to see them, so in spite of my negativity, I am sure they will continue, perks and all!

50+k all singing the Ameobi song  :snod:

This one?

I saw him play a match down St James' Park

Where his shots on goal were like he was playing in the dark

S-h-o-l-a Shola

He ran up to goal and he blasted it wide

But it was OK 'cos he was flagged offside

S-h-o-l-a shola sho-sho-sho-sho shola