Should Harper be our number 1 in the Premier League - Next Season

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I know. But he wouldn't do that.

Not in a standard run of the mill game. Much like Green, and most other pro goalkeepers.

In the World Cup it's always a possibility. Harper is just as prone to making mistakes.

Not in a standard run of the mill game. Much like Green, and most other pro goalkeepers.

Harper shouldn't be there but neither should Green.

He made 4 mistakes last season leading directly goals, more than any other player in the Premier League.

Guest firetotheworks

He made 4 mistakes last season leading directly goals, more than any other player in the Premier League.

Did you not read the sentence after that one?  :lol:

Aye I was mainly replying to what the person above said but just pointing out that Green does make blunders in run of the mill games.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye I was mainly reply to what the person above said but just pointing out that Green does make does blunders in run of the mill games.

Aye, but then so has Harper. Especially recently. Not that I don't rate him, he's just not near England standard imo.

Aye I was mainly reply to what the person above said but just pointing out that Green does make does blunders in run of the mill games.

Aye, but then so has Harper. Especially recently. Not that I don't rate him, he's just not near England standard imo.

Which I agreed with, aye.

One of England's main problems is that Harper pretty much is England standard, sadly.

Aye, Alonso knocked one in from 65 yards....

Aye, Harper is the only footballer who has ever fallen over during a game.

:lol:

Was only saying like, Harper's not exactly infallible.

Guest BooBoo

Harpers terribly average. Forster should be our long term number one. Harper simply gets the gig for his loyalty to the club rather than his (limited) ability.

Guest Phil K

Harpers terribly average. Forster should be our long term number one. Harper simply gets the gig for his loyalty to the club rather than his (limited) ability.

Harpers been perfectly OK.

But we should be building for the future.

Forster and Krul

• 9 months later...

Sorry to have another Harper thread on the go, but I have to bump one of my own like, especially with the poll.

Next season simply has to be Krul and Forster battling it out for the No.1 place. Harper is past it and we will only suffer with him playing all next season. Lets concentrate on the future with our young keepers. Having said that though Pardew plans to sell one of them doesnt he? Lets hope he changes his mind on that one first and foremost.

Unfortunately I can't see Harper being sold or dropped, he's got too much of a sympathy vote for "all the years he waited behind Given" so for that I think he's going to stick around for a lot longer unfortunately.

I'd like to see us drop him and put Krul in for the remainder of the season but once Forster comes back from Celtic things are going to get intreresting as I think he's thrown things on their head over his last two loans spells as Krul was always the most promising prospect yet I now think it's Forster.

Guest BooBoo

When it comes to young talented players, Carroll was very much the exception. 99% of the time you can tell by the time a player gets to 20 whether he's got what it takes.

Krul blatantly isn't ready.

... and very likely will never be.

I remember some people saying something like that about Carroll when he was younger.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Krul has no future, but he clearly needs more experience at a lower level.

Raw talent is all he's got right now.

Krul blatantly isn't ready.

... and very likely will never be.

I remember some people saying something like that about Carroll when he was younger.

Well I certainly didn't.

Which is to say that Carroll has always appeared to have the mental toughness required, which was clear in his first few outings in the season we got relegated.  Krul hasn't shown that to me.  Maybe this is his shaky season, maybe he will improve and make a solid goalkeeper in years to come, but I very much doubt he'll be ready by the start of next season.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yes.

Krul out on loan as well. Although I don't really know how Forster is progressing- he may well be up to it.