Hall

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How realistic do you (pl.) suppose Senderos or Metzelder are? The price is right, but are the wages? Would they come to Newcastle?

Would like to have Metzelder here. He's a bit injury prone, though. But if he plays, he'll be a great defender. Hardly gets a game at Madrid as far as I know. Probably would come here, probably will just see out his contract at Real Madrid because of the money he's earning there. Would maybe also prefer a Bundesliga team.

Hes s**** anyone that thinks he could even warrant a place in a premier league squad needs their heads read

Even Wigan binned him for being vastly inferior to Titus

He is shit based on what? How can you say that if he hasnt done anything wrong for us this season?

Obviously he is nowhere near a top class player, but he would be a handy 4th-5th centre half.

Metzelders made 23 Appearances in 3 seasons. Keep well away.

That's not due only to injuries, though, he only had one serious injury in his first season and afterwards none of the (several) Madrid managers have played him, he's just been like 6th choice.

I'd class Hall as a back up signing in case everything goes tits up in our transfer plans. Should we still be in need for another centre half, as back up come august 31st, then we will give Hall a ring.

I'd also put Harewood in this bracket.

I think we need to look at young solid centre backs such as Williamson. Players like Dann and Johnson for Birmingham have been great this year and are the sort of players we should be looking at.

Might be able to get them cheap too with Birmingham's apparent looming financial crisis.

I think we need to look at young solid centre backs such as Williamson. Players like Dann and Johnson for Birmingham have been great this year and are the sort of players we should be looking at.

DW is 26 & so is Johnson.  That is not young man. Check out the PFA award thread where some folk reckon 23 is too old be classed as young.

What CCC Lampard said:

Nolan has been impressed by 6ft 4in central defender Williamson, and sees the same no-nonsense qualities in him as Scott Danns and Roger Johnson, the Birmingham City pair who have made the smooth transition from Championship to Premier League football Williamson will be hoping to attempt next season.

“He is someone we needed,” said Nolan. “He stands out because he is an old-fashioned English centre-half who does the job.

“If you look at the two lads at Birmingham who are getting all the plaudits right now, they just go and head the ball and do the job, making sure the centre-forwards don’t score, simple as that.

I personally reckon Williamson, Taylor, Coloccini, Hall, Kadar is more than an adequate 'CB squad' for the Premier League. Hall's nowt amazing but he has been good, and i'd be happy to continue keeping him as cover, providing his fee was pretty low.

Agree with this. We do need to strengthen our squad but central defence and goalkeepers are our strongest positions and i can't see us aquiring better than we already have here or tinkering with our back five. We have more urgent priorities.