NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Really?, I thought The Sun handled our transfer business? :lol:

Should have stuck with :rolleyes: sunshine. 

I'm only saying there's no point in attaching value to anything said about this stuff. 

I should have, since you're talking shite.  Nobody said anything is negotiated in the press.  What's being suggested is that it might not really be a good idea to keep saying "We have £35m and we'll spend it all in the summer", its not just the fans of NUFC who read those comments.

Dude. It literally doesn't matter who reads those comments. Clubs don't give a faint whiff of a damn about what Pardew may or may not blather on about (in regards to this clearly; individual players are another story).  They know we've got 35m.  Nothing else matters;  they'll move the price based on that, not whether or not he says we are buying/we aren't buying,

I can see people getting worked up about the £35million as if we have to spend that amount to have a good summer. I agree to an extent with Pardew that it's less about how much we spend and more about bringing in the right players.

I guess IF Pards does get the £35m to spend...

"I said to Mike: 'Look, this money has to be reinvested in the team. All of it,'"

Still don't know why people don't get it - we won't spend £35M on players in the next transfer window. 'The Carroll money' will be spent on transfer fees, sign on fees and wage...

In that case Carroll's wages should be included as well.

Really?, I thought The Sun handled our transfer business? :lol:

Should have stuck with :rolleyes: sunshine. 

I'm only saying there's no point in attaching value to anything said about this stuff. 

I should have, since you're talking shite.  Nobody said anything is negotiated in the press.  What's being suggested is that it might not really be a good idea to keep saying "We have £35m and we'll spend it all in the summer", its not just the fans of NUFC who read those comments.

Dude. It literally doesn't matter who reads those comments. Clubs don't give a faint whiff of a damn about what Pardew may or may not blather on about (in regards to this clearly; individual players are another story).  They know we've got 35m.  Nothing else matters;  they'll move the price based on that, not whether or not he says we are buying/we aren't buying,

Ok, I don't agree though, who knows what Pardew and the club in general think either.

I can see people getting worked up about the £35million as if we have to spend that amount to have a good summer. I agree to an extent with Pardew that it's less about how much we spend and more about bringing in the right players.

Since when is bringing in the right players a new idea though? I'd love to add a load of good players on frees, low fees and cheap wages. Who wouldn't?

The reality is that we're already trundling along at a reasonable level in the Premier League. To get to the next level and try to compete for a European spot we'll inevitably have to spend some money. The fact everyone knows we have £30m in the bank will just make things harder.

Since when is bringing in the right players a new idea though? I'd love to add a load of good players on frees, low fees and cheap wages. Who wouldn't?

The reality is that we're already trundling along at a reasonable level in the Premier League. To get to the next level and try to compete for a European spot we'll inevitably have to spend some money. The fact everyone knows we have £30m in the bank will just make things harder.

Agreed. Also this "notion" that we have to sign more Tiote's and less Luque's is massively over-simplistic... As if it is so easy to predict that a relative unknown will be a huge hit in the Premiership. If it was, everybody would be doing it.. The reality is that there is a huge correlation between money spend (on fees and wages) and success (league position). Anybody who thinks there isn't is kidding themselves, which is not to say it is not worthwhile to try and get players that will most likely improve us on good deals (frees, last year of contract, etc).

People will point at the good deals we have done in recent times, but forget all the deals we haven't done because there was no bargain available but should really have done (essential cover for full back and wing position, let alone one or two Premiership strikers). We have been riding our luck imho, and our good results on the pitch this season are as much despite the regime than thanks to them. If we don't seriously improve both the first team and the squad this summer despite the resources being available it will be criminal.

Agreed. Also this "notion" that we have to sign more Tiote's and less Luque's is massively over-simplistic... As if it is so easy to predict that a relative unknown will be a huge hit in the Premiership. If it was, everybody would be doing it.. The reality is that there is a huge correlation between money spend (on fees and wages) and success (league position). Anybody who thinks there isn't is kidding themselves, which is not to say it is not worthwhile to try and get players that will most likely improve us on good deals (frees, last year of contract, etc).

People will point at the good deals we have done in recent times, but forget all the deals we haven't done because there was no bargain available but should really have done (essential cover for full back and wing position, let alone one or two Premiership strikers). We have been riding our luck imho, and our good results on the pitch this season are as much despite the regime than thanks to them. If we don't seriously improve both the first team and the squad this summer despite the resources being available it will be criminal.

You are right, we have been riding our luck somewhat. If Enrique or Jonas or Tiote picked up a bad injury this season we would be in trouble. Luckily they haven't yet.

Guest scottnufc1892

I agree with an earlier post..... the most important signings in the summer are Barton, Tiote and Enrique! Id like to think somebody else would own the club by then and we can add a few new players in order to kick on however i think its just wishful thinking on my behalf

Agreed. Also this "notion" that we have to sign more Tiote's and less Luque's is massively over-simplistic...

disagree with this myself - spurs are an example of the way to play it:

you're right to say that every player can't be a success, of course they can't, but if you buy 5 people well scouted from different leagues for 3m each you're more likely to end up in a better position than blowing 15m on a single player imo

we need to be stable for it to be a success, not change the scouting team (as they appear to be doing a decent job at the moment) and give them the remit of scouting up and comers domestically and continentally as soon as they hit the radar and taking the ones we fancy for the lowest fees possible

spurs problem now is pushing on as this approach will not take you to the top of the league anymore, well as we don't have to cash to propel ourselves there anywhere (who does?) i say take this and run with it

:thup:

Spurs don't do that though do they? I'm struggling to think of spurs regulars that were unknown or not signed for big money.

mixed bag for spurs as they've obviously got more money than us behind them and definitely do reinvest the overinflated fees they get back into playing staff...they run this lower cost type of thing alongside their increasingly bigger recruitment drive where they've started spending more and more to try and break the CL spots

fyi lennon, huddlestone, dawson were all bought for peanuts and they're pretty much regulars...sure i'm always hearing about them picking kids up from all over the place as well, rose springs to mind not that i've seen him play

ashley is never gonna spend like spurs, the best we can hope for when he's in charge is what i've described

i'm in no way saying this is how i'd run the club if i had 100's millions in my account but it's the best hope we've got under MA

Spurs don't do that though do they? I'm struggling to think of spurs regulars that were unknown or not signed for big money.

They don't... Third biggest spenders over the last five year period:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html

Nice try though..

read my reply to Wullie

even then, within their spending up to say VDV they're usually signing 'potential', where they feel the value of the player will rise

modric, hutton, bale, bassong, ekotto, dawson, hudd etc. being examples of when they've paid a decent fee for a player but would expect to get more in future and in most cases they will

palacios, VDV, pavly, woodgate, keane being examples of big money where the value is unlikely to increase or decrease significantly when they signed them

what i'm saying is they might spend 30m in a window but until the last one just gone (where they tried and failed) they're not spunking it all on one player who is the finished article are they?

You've misunderstood my point regarding it being over-simplistic to just state we should buy more Tiote's instead of Luque's. I'm not advocating signing players with little or nor resale value at all, why would I? It's really not hard to understand: improving a football team to the point of challenging at the top end of the Premiership takes significant investment as well as good scouting and a dose of good fortune. It's not as easy as saying"Allreet lads, Tiote is a monster find for 3,5 million. I'll have ten more of those please".

You've misunderstood my point regarding it being over-simplistic to just state we should buy more Tiote's instead of Luque's. I'm not advocating signing players with little or nor resale value at all, why would I? It's really not hard to understand: improving a football team to the point of challenging at the top end of the Premiership takes significant investment as well as good scouting and a dose of good fortune. It's not as easy as saying"Allreet lads, Tiote is a monster find for 3,5 million. I'll have ten more of those please".

no i know what you mean but i'm approaching it from a realistic perspective given who we have in charge of the club

to say: "go out and find me an attacking midfielder" is a very different thing from saying "you have 3.5m go and find me an attacking midfielder"

it narrows the search, or it should, it should change the parameters of what you're looking for and where you look for it - this is what the 'more tiotes, less luques' means to me, it's as much about where you go searching as what you're searching for depending on the money available to spend

Guest EastEndGeordie

The Bad News:

Looks like we're a cert to be signing Carlton Cole if the hammers go down.

For ten mil :sigh:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/20/2360473/newcastle-weigh-up-10m-summer-bid-for-west-ham-striker

Or, we may be bringing in Odemwingie.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/02/20/newcastle-united-keen-on-6m-rated-west-bromwich-albion-striker/

Now for some good news:

Two very large potential youngsters may be arriving:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/19/2359607/newcastle-united-chase-sevilla-midfielder-diego-perotti-and

Agreed. Also this "notion" that we have to sign more Tiote's and less Luque's is massively over-simplistic...

disagree with this myself - spurs are an example of the way to play it:

you're right to say that every player can't be a success, of course they can't, but if you buy 5 people well scouted from different leagues for 3m each you're more likely to end up in a better position than blowing 15m on a single player imo

:thup:

This!

Spreading money on multiple players minimizes the risk and increases the squad depth. A single player will never perform better than four others, unless he's HBA-good.  If we buy four players for around £2-3 each, all of those money will be earned back if just one of them performs above normal. The rest could then be given time to develop further, or function as better reserves than Perch.. That is what Liverpool did not do with Joe Cole: They pay him £80 000 a week, he probably was handed almost £10 mill in sign on fee, and he now rots the bench. Cole's wages could alone have "fed" three top notch talents, and his sign on fee could have been used to buy them. Gary Hooper for example only cost Celtic £2.4 mill.

Second, it's a myth that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. It's all about doing proper research. Unlike before, Castle is investigating properly before a player is bought. Does he fits into the group? How's his mentality etc. Maybe the player come cheap because of his contract situation? Maybe his style of play is perfect for the physical PL, bot doesn't fit his current league (Tiote). Maybe he got a mental problem, that his club cannot deal with, but we can (HBA and Ireland).  Maybe he isn't playing his best football because his team uses a 4-3-3 formation, but he's much better in a 4-4-2 system? That we know because we got a video from his breakthrough season, where they had a different coach, who preferred 4-4-2. All this information is important, because it may tell us why he's underachieving. That enables us to buy him on the cheap, and fix the problem when he's with us. Eg. he will fit perfectly with us, because we play 4-2-2 and not 4-3-3. Castle never did this before. It was all about getting in a big name, hoping that would signal to the surroundings that the club had "ambitions." Never mind that the person didn't care less about the club (c*** Owen), that he fitted into the football the club played and so on.

Barton's motto should accordingly be turn on its head: Through proper research, good players could be bought for peanuts. Good research hinders us paying money for players that only is worth a fraction of what we used to pay (Luqe, Boumsong, Smith, Owen). Consequently, paying too much can be a sign of utter lack of ambition, because you have no clear strategy regarding which players you're going to bring in. That leads to a total lack of vital information, and you end up paying way too much, because the agents sit with all the intel.

The conclusion is that sometimes price and quality can be closely related. But just as often, it doesn't mean s***. Do proper groundwork, and gold can be found for almost nothing.