NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

One thing's for sure, as great as it is playing the big strong guys "OMG look at us! We're banning the press from our stadium", I reckon we'll soon pay the price.

Although they spread unlimited amounts of crap these days, there's no question that the media in this country can easily make or break a person. The most we twist the kinfe in, the worse it'll become.

Don't forget that 70-odd % of the people in this country are like "It's in the paper so it must be true - why else would they say it?" - they'll spark protests and urest at SJP within a month of the season starting.

They already try to do that at every opportunity.

Lots of people enjoy all the speculation and most know that the rumous are rubbish so I cannot see why the club have to be so pathetic about it.  Everyone knows a lot of the stories in the press are put there by the agents trying to move their clients on.  What is the harm in fans discussing it and analysing potential teams.

I think this attitude could be very damaging for the club in the long tem.  They may think cutting out all the rumours will provide some sort of stability but this city thrives on that and if they continue to push fans away and change the club into one where nothing ever happens and there is nothing to talk about, then maybe even more supporters will start to lose interest.  As supporters and a city, we are pretty obsessive about the club and I just don't think they understand how to nurture that at all.

And I agree that the press will give the club a hard time next season.  We are highly likely to struggle and we won't get the sympathetic press that West Ham did.  And since Hughton does not play the media game, I think he will be seen as a legitimate target as well - no friendly soundbites they can print as with Redknapp and Allardyce.

Lots of people enjoy all the speculation and most know that the rumous are rubbish so I cannot see why the club have to be so pathetic about it.  Everyone knows a lot of the stories in the press are put there by the agents trying to move their clients on.  What is the harm in fans discussing it and analysing potential teams.

I think this attitude could be very damaging for the club in the long tem.  They may think cutting out all the rumours will provide some sort of stability but this city thrives on that and if they continue to push fans away and change the club into one where nothing ever happens and there is nothing to talk about, then maybe even more supporters will start to lose interest.  As supporters and a city, we are pretty obsessive about the club and I just don't think they understand how to nurture that at all.

And I agree that the press will give the club a hard time next season.  We are highly likely to struggle and we won't get the sympathetic press that West Ham did.  And since Hughton does not play the media game, I think he will be seen as a legitimate target as well - no friendly soundbites they can print as with Redknapp and Allardyce.

let them do what they want I don't give 2 shits what the morons have to say. The fact that they hold a crook like Redknapp and someone so totally anti football like Allardyce in high esteem says it all about them. All the press are is a bunch of guys with an inflated sense of their own self worth

The lawyers will make a f***ing mint if they are brought in to deny every transfer rumour.

Surely this iß costing the club money? Also, what's the point of denying transfer rumours?

The emails to the papers (the Sun and Mirror have also had them apparently) are from some law firm in London, so won't come cheap.

All the emails demand that rertractions are printed in the papers. Haven't seen any so far......

So how does phoning the press to deny a transfer story tie into

There will be no comment from the Board regarding the purchase of players

from the statement?

The email sent to the Journal cited the  'no new capital outlay' line in the club statement as proof of why the bid for Onuoha story was wrong.

from the statement?

The email sent to the Journal cited the  'no new capital outlay' line in the club statement as proof of why the bid for Onuoha story was wrong.

that was to sunday sun wasnt it dont remember seeing diddly in journal on it other than a lack of clarification

Guest dazzanufc1892

Newcastle use Addleshaw Goddard, one of the biggest firms in Europe, and their fees are through the roof. Every denial is going to be well near £500 or more if you consider taking instructions would take 20 minutes, an hour to draft a quick release, then get approval.

Newcastle use Addleshaw Goddard, one of the biggest firms in Europe, and their fees are through the roof. Every denial is going to be well near £500 or more if you consider taking instructions would take 20 minutes, an hour to draft a quick release, then get approval.

Guess we cannot spend any money on players as we have to save it for all the legal fees they are going to be paying out.

The lawyers will make a f***ing mint if they are brought in to deny every transfer rumour.

Surely this iß costing the club money? Also, what's the point of denying transfer rumours?

The emails to the papers (the Sun and Mirror have also had them apparently) are from some law firm in London, so won't come cheap.

All the emails demand that rertractions are printed in the papers. Haven't seen any so far......

This seems an extremely odd way to be acting if indeed it is true.

Do they not use Freshfields like it says in the accounts?

How would the Sunday Sun know if they're banned from SJP and (I presume) official contact with the club?

The club has to deal with Thommy House &  the Sunday Sun is in Thommy House.

Correct. I'm told the club lawyers contacted the Journal denying they wanted to buy Onuoha, citing the "no capital outlay" statement as evidence.

Since when did a club's lawyers get involved in denying transfer rumours?

At a guess since they put a statement out would be my reckoning.

You really think that? I'd much sooner know we're going to sign fuck all, than getting excited about the likes of Modric, Turan and Aimar only to end up with Xisco and Nacho.

Guest Roger Kint

Newcastle pull out of Bullard bid who will now go to Celtic on 12 month loan.

Pretty much every paper

Strange but true.

from the statement?

that was to sunday sun wasnt it dont remember seeing diddly in journal on it other than a lack of clarification

It's one team that now put together Journal, Chron and Sunday Sun.

How is it strange? They fired out statement & now they clamping down on organisations since then, I would say it was to be expected.

I've got to hand it to Ashley he has a truly unique way of handling the media and PR in general. It's really bizarre. At this time of year newspapers will speculate, it fills up the pages when there is no football being played and everyone knows most of it is bollox. Despite his high profile he is a very private and secretive man and his record of (not) giving interviews is testament to that. I can only assume that the reason he is so arsed about the press is that his hatred of having his business dealings made public has reached a paranoiac level.   

How is it strange? They fired out statement & now they clamping down on organisations since then, I would say it was to be expected.

They issued a statement saying:

The Board at Newcastle United wish to reiterate the points made above that there will not be at any stage in the future any comments coming from the Board regarding any issues surrounding Newcastle United save for prepared statements that are issued by the Newcastle United Media Officer.

Once again, for the sake of clarity, this does not affect the Manager and coaching staff talking to the press/media about footballing matters on an everyday basis. The Board are being absolutely transparent in respect of this policy and would ask that the press/media direct any future questions that they may have regarding Newcastle United to our media officer.

Nowhere does it say they will have lawyers sending threathening letters to media who write about our transfer targets and policy, does it?

One of the reasons I'm sceptical about this story is it hasn't been reported in the media. If the club was firing off solicitors' letters about transfer rumours, then that would surely have interested the papers. They're not usually hesitant about poking fun at the club, and if these letters really have been sent, then they can't be done for libel.

One of the reasons I'm sceptical about this story is it hasn't been reported in the media. If the club was firing off solicitors' letters about transfer rumours, then that would surely have interested the papers. They're not usually hesitant about poking fun at the club, and if these letters really have been sent, then they can't be done for libel.

Might be a little difficult saying you've made stuff up, but the letters saying you've made stuff up are real.

The information embargo seems to be working well.  In recent days both the Ronnie and the Morning Ronnie have led on Kris Boyd stories - both saying in different ways that IF we were in for him then there are other clubs interested.  It may be that there is little going on, the info isn't getting out to them, they are scared of legal action if they get things wrong or even a combination of the 3.