NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Routledge has excellent pace, good close control and can strike a ball very well. It's a mistake to give up on him.

I appreciate all that and his passing last year was excellent at times.  For some reason he is  a serial underachiever at the top level. It looks psychological as he has good physical attributes.

He isn't good enough either. He got pace, but that doesn't help since he doesn't know how to use it. And what's the point of having a wide man that cannot cross.

Gutierrez ...

Jonas has improved his crossing over the last couple of months.

Agreed..5 assits and many free kicks awarded..

Routledge has excellent pace, good close control and can strike a ball very well. It's a mistake to give up on him.

I am not sure what you mean by good close control.  He can dribble with the ball ok, but his ability to control a football coming towards is not of a Premiership standard.

I prefer to use my eyes rather than judge on what he did elsewhere. The player I watched last year would comfortably be good enough for the top flight.

Psychologically, there seems to be a problem. Ability wise, no way. Not seen anybody give Jose the runaround as much in four years. Deciding he's not good enough without making efforts to get him to use his clear assets is a cop out imo.

This. Those sayig he isn't good enough for the PL have made up their minds. Look at him in the CC, he's been outstanding. It just hasn't ran for him in the PL.

His quotes in that article alone are worth having him back I reckon before his recent performances have been added to the equation. For him to have such an attitude where he wants to come back and show what he feels he can do is exactly what we will always need in this side. he could be comfortable at QPR next season, back in London, starting, with a manager and fans that want him, but to pass that and want to come back here is very commendable. I'd take him back now!

I get the impression we might have seen LuaLua in the first team, certainly on the bench, if he wasn't still injured. His return to fitness for the start of next season could well be another reason why we let Routledge go.

Wasn't there quotes from Pardew saying he rated LuaLua? Or did I just make that up?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I get the impression we might have seen LuaLua in the first team, certainly on the bench, if he wasn't still injured. His return to fitness for the start of next season could well be another reason why we let Routledge go.

Wasn't there quotes from Pardew saying he rated LuaLua? Or did I just make that up?

You didn't.

Was this it? http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/12/18/pardew-kazenga-lualua-will-get-his-chance-72703-27848425/

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/toulouse-reject-newcastle-offer-cheikh-m-bengue-1571171?

Newcastle United have failed with a bid for Toulouse defender Cheikh M'Bengue.

French sources say Toon have had a €5 million bid for M'Bengue thrown out by Toulouse.

The 22 year-old is under consideration at Newcastle as a replacement for unsettled left-back Jose Enrique.

Toon chief scout Graham Carr has been active in the French transfer market since the New Year and made several checks on M'Bengue.

I prefer to use my eyes rather than judge on what he did elsewhere. The player I watched last year would comfortably be good enough for the top flight.

Psychologically, there seems to be a problem. Ability wise, no way. Not seen anybody give Jose the runaround as much in four years. Deciding he's not good enough without making efforts to get him to use his clear assets is a cop out imo.

:thup:

Championship or not, he's been absolute class at QPR. If he can just get over that stumbling block, he can be an asset to us in the PL.

I remember him being the best player on the pitch against Chelsea too. And that was up against arguably one of the best left backs there is.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Routledge's level is the championship, no coincidence that he's had so many opportunities to prove himself prior to joining us (palace, fulham, villa, spurs etc), played well in the championship (qpr), and then struggled in the premier league. Let's face it, he was good last year, but he's not worth persevering with now. Getting rid of him once we got promoted was always an inevitability inky opinion because he just isn't good enough

Heard Pardew in interview with Radio Newcastle after the window shut specifically say about Routledge when questioned something along the lines of "We don't think Wayne has quite the right quality for where we want to go". Was very surprised at the time to hear something so direct as that (and that it wasn't picked up by the papers), but guess it backs up the point about Routledge reckoning he isn't part of Pardew's plans.

He also said they thought they had a done deal for a replacement at the time - presumably Larsson.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Heard Pardew in interview with Radio Newcastle after the window shut specifically say about Routledge when questioned something along the lines of "We don't think Wayne has quite the right quality for where we want to go". Was very surprised at the time to hear something so direct as that (and that it wasn't picked up by the papers), but guess it backs up the point about Routledge reckoning he isn't part of Pardew's plans.

He also said they thought they had a done deal for a replacement at the time - presumably Larsson.

And of course, Pardew thought Gosling was back.

Regardless of Larsson coming in or Gosling coming back, we didn't have to get rid of Routledge at all.

Unless Pardew has a phobia of squad depth like - "I could only possibly have two players for one position"