NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

My worry with Long would be that this season is a one off. Yes, he's been quality this season but its the first time he's got more than 10 in a season.

Aye, see your point, depending on the price i think it would be worth a gamble.

My worry with Long would be that this season is a one off. Yes, he's been quality this season but its the first time he's got more than 10 in a season.

True, but like you said I wouldn't want him being our sole piece of striker business should we buy him.

Guest Roger Kint

True, but like you said I wouldn't want him being our sole piece of striker business should we buy him.

Agree with both, not sure if he has had injuries in past seasons or not but if he cam in i would want at least one better as well to come in.

On the best season of his career, but not that special. More than likely an expensive waste of money.

Be disappointed if we are really interested, cant see Reading wanting to part with him and we can probably get someone twice as good for the price on the continent. Rather have Elmander on a free tbh.

I'd be happy with him + someone who would really show that we mean business. Could maybe swing a deal that would mean Ranger going the other way for a year, but that sort of thing rarely happens for some reason.

Mr X, Ben Arfa, Ameobi, Best, Long, Ranger, Lovenkrands ... would be a reasonable pool of attackers, assuming the main striker we get is bang on the money. Definitely think it should be him plus Ben Arfa just off him, though.

Heard 8 mil quoted for Long somewhere. If so no fucking thanks.

Seriously? :lol: Right then.

Ameobi, Best, Long, Ranger, Lovenkrands

:suicide:

... being 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th choice - would be decent.

Heard 8 mil quoted for Long somewhere. If so no f***ing thanks.

Seriously? :lol: Right then.

Ameobi, Best, Long, Ranger, Lovenkrands

:suicide:

... being 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th choice - would be decent.

|

Think he only has one year left on his contract, so  more likely 4/5m tops, Still 2/3m too expensive

Five fucking mediocre strikers, what a waste of time and money.

??? What are you expecting like? £35m is not going to go purely on strikers, and nor should it. If we could pick up another squad filler upfront for a couple of million, plus getting someone mint as well as having Ben Arfa fit... we'd be doing alright iyam. Obviously, it's absolutely imperative that we adequately replace Carroll in the first place before looking for more squad fillers.

We've already got far too many squad fillers. Not enough quality.

Man Utd only have three strikers and one squad filler and they fight on four fronts every season. Ben Arfa isn't even a striker anyway.

So basically you're advocating having one striker, one playmaker/winger shoved up front and then a shitload of backups who range from decent on their day to downright pointless. Even if they're all on £15k per week that's enough to pay two good ones instead. I just think it's false logic, and typical of the type of 'risk management' we've seen under Ashley - bring in lots of cheap players and just hope some of them increase in value.

We've already got far too many squad fillers. Not enough quality.

Man Utd only have three strikers and one squad filler and they fight on four fronts every season. Ben Arfa isn't even a striker anyway.

So basically you're advocating having one striker, one playmaker/winger shoved up front and then a shitload of backups who range from decent on their day to downright pointless. Even if they're all on £15k per week that's enough to pay two good ones instead. I just think it's false logic, and typical of the type of 'risk management' we've seen under Ashley - bring in lots of cheap players and just hope some of them increase in value.

agreed. the squad's not small, it's just full of players who aren't very good - perch, the taylors, campbell, shola, lovenkrands, ranger, smith. even in the first team there's pretty mediocre players like Harper, Williamson and Simpson, but because we have some glaring gaps elsewhere they're not seen as priorities for upgrades.

Enrique, Coloccini, Tiote, Ben Arfa are what i'd build the side around. Nolan i'm still unsure about, despite an undoubted contribution this season, and I feel Barton's season has been over-rated by some. Since Carroll left he's only had a couple of good games.

basically there's room for improvement in most positions. what we need to be doing is buying players good enough to relegate current first teamers like Jonas, Best etc to our squad fillers, and subsequently getting rid of the current squad fillers. bringing in more back-ups who happen to be slightly better than raylor, loven etc is pointless.

Guest Heneage

Sick of being linked to all these average squad players. 2 or 3 quality players is what we need, not more dross to pad out the dross we already have.

How often are the papers right though? They only linked us with Tiote after we'd bid.