NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I think if you look at the whole squad it's clear that we are using the Carroll sale to good effect.  Besides, there is still ages left in the window...

We're short at the back and upfront with our friendlies starting in a few days. This can't be considered as anything other than slightly worrying.

Sounds like a bad haircut.

Agreed mind, this window started out with promise but the club has managed to squeeze the joy out of it in no time. Not feeling as confident as I was at the start, but guess that was season ticket renewal time.

As said, you sell one very good striker you gotta replace him with atleast another or two pretty good strikers.

Ba seems the latter to me & i want another. Carroll was bullying defences, i think Ba's more of a finisher. Maybe with a better team behind him, Ba will impress. Either way we should have the money to get two quality strikers to replace Carroll still.

I think Ba and Carroll will be close in the goalscorers charts next season. 

There is still well over a month to go till the window shuts, and at the minute we have a stronger squad than the one that finished last season. Now isn't the time to panic.

Not panicing yet, but imo our aim should be to start this season with a squad better than the one we started with last, not what we ended it with.

There is still well over a month to go till the window shuts, and at the minute we have a stronger squad than the one that finished last season. Now isn't the time to panic.

Not panicing yet, but imo our aim should be to start this season with a squad better than the one we started with last, not what we ended it with.

At this point, we have or will.

As said, you sell one very good striker you gotta replace him with atleast another or two pretty good strikers.

Ba seems the latter to me & i want another. Carroll was bullying defences, i think Ba's more of a finisher. Maybe with a better team behind him, Ba will impress. Either way we should have the money to get two quality strikers to replace Carroll still.

May well be. Carroll gave more than goals though, he took the defences attention.

The 5-1 for example, Assist for the 2nd, gets bramble sent off with Pace/strength, assist for the 4th.

Do you expect Ba to have a similar impact atm? Im not sure i would, we'll have to see.

May well be. Carroll gave more than goals though, he took the defences attention.

The 5-1 for example, Assist for the 2nd, gets bramble sent off with Pace/strength, assist for the 4th.

Do you expect Ba to have a similar impact atm? Im not sure i would, we'll have to see.

Different players. Would much rather have Carroll.

I don't think theres much comparison tbh, Carroll was unplayable most games, he was absolutely everywhere and was unbeatable in the air, his goal record was just a bonus tbh, but one which put him amongst the best strikers in the league that season.

Demba Ba is a pretty physical player, but he doesn't use his strengh in the way Carroll does.

Ba                                Subs: Harper Williamson Kadar Gosling Marveaux Best Shola

HBA

Jonas

Cabaye

Tiote

Barton

Enrique

Colo

Taylor

Simpson

Krul

That's a rough guess of where we are at and it's certainly better than what we previously had. I think we are in a good position at the moment and no big reason to panic just yet but we would certainly need to get in a couple of more solid signings and obviously replacements if Enrique/Best leave. I'm certainly happy with what we have done so far though as long as we are still trying to push ahead for new signings.

Co

Ba                                Subs: Harper Williamson Kadar Gosling Marveaux Best Shola

HBA

Jonas

Cabaye

Tiote

Barton

Enrique

Colo

Taylor

Simpson

Krul

That's a rough guess of where we are at and it's certainly better than what we previously had. I think we are in a good position at the moment and no big reason to panic just yet but we would certainly need to get in a couple of more solid signings and obviously replacements if Enrique/Best leave. I'm certainly happy with what we have done so far though as long as we are still trying to push ahead for new signings.

Couple of more clever signings to that squad and i'll be well happy.

I think if you look at the whole squad it's clear that we are using the Carroll sale to good effect.  Besides, there is still ages left in the window...

I'm with you, but for some reason people are freaking out because there's been a lull in our activity.

I really think if we'd signed the players we had more recently, spaced them out more or spent more on them, people would be loving our transfer dealings so far.

It's not that in my case, I am pretty happy with how we have acted quickly so far, the reason I'm now moving into a more cynical frame of mind is that for whatever reason our search for a striker doesn't seem as urgent since the Gameiro knock back. The Erdinc deal has stalled supposedly due to a dispute with his agent despite the fact we've been publicly shouting how much of the Carroll fee has gone to paying agents of other players we've signed this summer. We've cooled our interest in Long according to the journos and according to the same sources we are not interested in anyone else. It seems a fair conclusion to draw that we may well not get another striker if that's close to the truth.

Co

HBA

Jonas

Cabaye

Tiote

Barton

Enrique

Colo

Taylor

Simpson

Krul

Yup - the starting XI is superior to what we finished the season on (except the Taylor/Williamson typo)

The promised two signings will add some much needed depth, because Gosling and Marveaux (and Smith and Lua Lua) as midfield cover isn't sufficient for a 38 game season, and no one wants to see Shola (or Lovenkrands) play more than the odd cameo role during an injury crisis. In fact, I'd hope the goal fairy is above Lovenkrands at this point.

Two ho-hum signings (like what the mackems have filled their squad with) should be adequate to give us a top-ten finish. Two top-drawer signings should help have us aiming for a top-seven finish.

At this point, we've done well, and the final two signings will tell us all we need to know about where we're aiming.

So can the Chicken Little crew please give it a rest? Yes, Mike Ashley probably won't spend a fraction of the 35 million we got for Andy Carroll. Yes, that might see Jose Enrique and Joey Barton leaving at the end of the season. But is raising your blood pressure going to change any of that? NO!

Signing centre-halves, and full-backs, and right-wingers is as fantastical as me guiding the Toon to five consecutive Champions League titles on FM. It can happen, but chances are it won't...

I think if you look at the whole squad it's clear that we are using the Carroll sale to good effect.  Besides, there is still ages left in the window...

I'm with you, but for some reason people are freaking out because there's been a lull in our activity.

I really think if we'd signed the players we had more recently, spaced them out more or spent more on them, people would be loving our transfer dealings so far.

Nah man.

We haven't spent any money! If we don't spend all of the Carroll money by Saturday, we'll end up losing it all and won't be able to make any more transfers before the window closes :frantic:

The question for me though is have we gotten better than we would have been had we kept Carroll?

I've said all along that I felt we got far more for Carroll than he was or ever would be worth, but that only really matters if you use the money to improve beyond where you would have been had you ignored the big money and kept hold of him.

As it stands we've swapped Carroll for Ba and Marveaux.

Actually use that money (rather than continue peddling this nonsense that every single penny we ever spend again must be covered by the Carroll money) and buy a couple of quality players to improve the team and the Carroll deal can be remembered as a good one for the club.

Not optimistic though.

It's not that in my case, I am pretty happy with how we have acted quickly so far, the reason I'm now moving into a more cynical frame of mind is that for whatever reason our search for a striker doesn't seem as urgent since the Gameiro knock back. The Erdinc deal has stalled supposedly due to a dispute with his agent despite the fact we've been publicly shouting how much of the Carroll fee has gone to paying agents of other players we've signed this summer. We've cooled our interest in Long according to the journos and according to the same sources we are not interested in anyone else. It seems a fair conclusion to draw that we may well not get another striker if that's close to the truth.

So many ifs, buts and assumptions in that though, it's almost farcical.

If they don't sign another striker then they'll deserve a bit of criticism, but they don't deserve any yet IMO.

If they don't sign another striker then they'll deserve a bit of criticism, but they don't deserve any yet IMO.

I'm just giving my take on it, there might well be a lot more happening behind the scenes. As things stand though I'm not convinced.

I'm just giving my take on it, there might well be a lot more happening behind the scenes. As things stand though I'm not convinced.

Fair enough :thup:

The question for me though is have we gotten better than we would have been had we kept Carroll?

I've said all along that I felt we got far more for Carroll than he was or ever would be worth, but that only really matters if you use the money to improve beyond where you would have been had you ignored the big money and kept hold of him.

Actually use that money (rather than continue peddling this nonsense that every single penny we ever spend again must be covered by the Carroll money) and buy a couple of quality players to improve the team and the Carroll deal can be remembered as a good one for the club.

Not optimistic though.

I don't think the Carroll deal should be judged in hindsight based on what happens to the team afterwards.

Let's face it, we sold him because the club needs income and the deal was too good to turn down. That's it. Any other reason is just an attempt to justify an unpopular move.

I think it swings both ways really, i am on the side of the fence that is currently happy however i can see where the people who are unhappy are coming from.

They moan and kick up a fuss at the lack of signings in the striker department and they carry this on then suddenly we sign Long and Erding in the last few days of transfer window, them fans aren't going to lick ashley's arse and forgive ashley for making them moody c***s all through the summer.

On the othe rhand if they kick up a fuss throughout and we fail to sign anyone else but our current crop, Mike Ashley isn't going to give a flying a s*** about what we think and how depressed and angry we are at the lack of signings.

There's not much we can do at this present moment excpet look at what we currently have, weigh up where we currently stand and just have faith in the fact there will be more signings to come and not too much loss going out.

Not optimistic though.

I don't think the Carroll deal should be judged in hindsight based on what happens to the team afterwards.

Let's face it, we sold him because the club needs income, the player wanted an improved/inflated contract and the deal was too good to turn down. That's it. Any other reason is just an attempt to justify an unpopular move.

Added a key point to the reasons for the sale

Co

HBA

Jonas

Cabaye

Tiote

Barton

Enrique

Colo

Taylor

Simpson

Krul

Yup - the starting XI is superior to what we finished the season on (except the Taylor/Williamson typo)

The promised two signings will add some much needed depth, because Gosling and Marveaux (and Smith and Lua Lua) as midfield cover isn't sufficient for a 38 game season, and no one wants to see Shola (or Lovenkrands) play more than the odd cameo role during an injury crisis. In fact, I'd hope the goal fairy is above Lovenkrands at this point.

Two ho-hum signings (like what the mackems have filled their squad with) should be adequate to give us a top-ten finish. Two top-drawer signings should help have us aiming for a top-seven finish.

At this point, we've done well, and the final two signings will tell us all we need to know about where we're aiming.

So can the Chicken Little crew please give it a rest? Yes, Mike Ashley probably won't spend a fraction of the 35 million we got for Andy Carroll. Yes, that might see Jose Enrique and Joey Barton leaving at the end of the season. But is raising your blood pressure going to change any of that? NO!

Signing centre-halves, and full-backs, and right-wingers is as fantastical as me guiding the Toon to five consecutive Champions League titles on FM. It can happen, but chances are it won't...

No idea how you can state both of those things in the same post.