Nicky Butt

binnsy

I'm no fan of Nicky Butt but there was a time when he was fucking excellent for us in the 06/07 season - after he scored those two goals in the 3-3 pre-season with Villareal.

He was pretty shit for the majority of it but there's no need to rewrite history just because you don't like the bloke - he kept us together at times in that season and for that I thank him.

Never whinged this season when out of the side either.

Good luck Nicky (I forgive you for Cardiff but I'll never forget)

Tbf to Butt, he did have a good 06/07 season and I thought he was decent enough when Keegan was in charge.

But definitely been very poor this season and last - everytime I saw him in the pre-match warm up this season, I thought: "FFS!"

It is rather spectacular that, when players who have been on the whole absolutely shocking leave, people come out and sing their praises.

He may be a decent professional but lets not beat around the bush, he was/is s***. Good riddance :thefinger:

very much a victim of our shite tactics in our latter prem years (he wasn't shit under keegan when we had players moving and creating space so he could play his natural game of win it and give it simply). too many times he was caught holding on too long looking round wondering why all our players were stood still. i very much agree with that true faith article.

It could be argued that Butt wasn't the problem in midfield but then who was? We had Milner and Duff on the wings and Butt was partnered by a succession of high profile central midfielders like Speed, Bowyer, Emre, Parker and Dyer. I don't recall either Owen or Martins being provided by a great service by this high value midfield. The truth is we suffered because we brought in tired has-beens whose best days were behind them...and Butt was one of those.

It is rather spectacular that, when players who have been on the whole absolutely shocking leave, people come out and sing their praises.

He may be a decent professional but lets not beat around the bush, he was/is s***. Good riddance :thefinger:

very much a victim of our s**** tactics in our latter prem years (he wasn't s*** under keegan when we had players moving and creating space so he could play his natural game of win it and give it simply). too many times he was caught holding on too long looking round wondering why all our players were stood still. i very much agree with that true faith article.

It could be argued that Butt wasn't the problem in midfield but then who was? We had Milner and Duff on the wings and Butt was partnered by a succession of high profile central midfielders like Speed, Bowyer, Emre, Parker and Dyer. I don't recall either Owen or Martins being provided by a great service by this high value midfield. The truth is we suffered because we brought in tired has-beens whose best days were behind them...and Butt was one of those.

even when he first came robert was going through a sulky spell, milner never stopped moving but his movement was that of a young kid who hadn't found his position. the problem was the whole team ethos, we went from pass and move to subbuteo in about 6 months. i can only guess too many players thought they had made it. since then can you remember our team having good movement  ? not just the midfield, it has to come from all over  or it just doesn't work.

Couldn't pass for shit, caught in possession so many times.

Isn't that what the ManUre fans were saying when we bought him as well?  His passing was complete shit - especially when he tried the fifty yard 'disguised' passes that would invariably end up being more of a danger to the crowd than the opposition.

He hasn't had the legs to play at anywhere near the top level for the past three to four years and his game has been based mostly around hacking opposition players if they ambled into his personal space.  Kinnear giving him a contract extension last year was irresponsible at best and moronic at worst.

Guest toonlass

Are they many players left on the HUGE wages? Or are they all on the Mike Ashley wage structure now?

Loads

Such as?

Smith and who else?

very much a victim of our s**** tactics in our latter prem years (he wasn't s*** under keegan when we had players moving and creating space so he could play his natural game of win it and give it simply). too many times he was caught holding on too long looking round wondering why all our players were stood still. i very much agree with that true faith article.

even when he first came robert was going through a sulky spell, milner never stopped moving but his movement was that of a young kid who hadn't found his position. the problem was the whole team ethos, we went from pass and move to subbuteo in about 6 months. i can only guess too many players thought they had made it. since then can you remember our team having good movement  ? not just the midfield, it has to come from all over  or it just doesn't work.

To some extent I agree. The problem hasn't always been the personnel, it has more often been the lack of a manager with a coherent team plan on how to build or get the best of his squad. Butt would be fine in a midfield which had plenty of movement around him, but we often had too many similar players in the same midfield or up front and for that you have to lay the blame with the manager. Butt and Nolan playing together is a prime example, just as playing Shola up front with Shearer didn't really work whereas Shearer and Bellamy was a massive success.

Guest BooBoo

Good post and reference by binnsy. So many people have fallen for Alan Olivers shite following that Semi Final in Cardiff. At the final whistle Butt shook hands with his ex team mates and left the field. What did the fans expect? I've been to numerous games over the years where following defeats some of our players have "snubbed" the away fans. None of them got hung out to dry like Butt did.

Oliver printed bullshit in the next days Chronicle about Butt laughing with Alex Ferguson and numerous people lapped it up as they needed a scapegoat for a shitty day. Most of those bleating about it, probably weren't even there that day.

Guest secteur2010

Good post and reference by binnsy. So many people have fallen for Alan Olivers s**** following that Semi Final in Cardiff. At the final whistle Butt shook hands with his ex team mates and left the field. What did the fans expect? I've been to numerous games over the years where following defeats some of our players have "snubbed" the away fans. None of them got hung out to dry like Butt did.

Oliver printed bullshit in the next days Chronicle about Butt laughing with Alex Ferguson and numerous people lapped it up as they needed a scapegoat for a shitty day. Most of those bleating about it, probably weren't even there that day.

Nailed it in one.

Some people on here need to give their heads a shake.

Oliver's words mean less than s**** to me. We've all got eyes, he's been abysmal 90% of the time, as a captain and footballer.

i'd disagree before this season. a lot of the time before that he was ok but it was butt therefore ok gets downgraded to shit.

I actually base none of my opinion of Butt on one performance in a semi final of an FA Cup match. He's just been a crap footballer for us for a long time.

I've never understood how every manager that has come in (apart from Hughton to be fair) has seem his as a "first name on the team sheet" player. Unless you count players that weren't in the team through injury's and off field issues, as a constant in the team, Butt was one of, if not the biggest reason why we went down last year. His passing was shocking, he gave away SO many penalties and free kicks around the area, and was pretty much immobile.

I remember thinking he looked a good passer of the ball when he first signed for us, but other than that, he's been awful for us. I'm glad we won't have to use him at all any more.

A couple. None were quite as bad as him.

smith was, as he has been this season, nolan was as bad last season,geremi was worse as was cacapa,beye was poor and gutierrez played most of last season like he couldn't give a shit then lets throw owen,martins and viduka into the mix.

There is no point in defending Butt's time at Newcastle.  As much as he tried he was just poor and a weak link in the team most of the time.  For his wages we should have a midfielder that can pass, shoot, tackle and run.