World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

England have no real stand out goalkeeper, no centre halves in form/fit, a first choice right back who can't defend and a left back who hasn't played (& no cover for him either).

Dawson.

England have no real stand out goalkeeper, no centre halves in form/fit, a first choice right back who can't defend and a left back who hasn't played (& no cover for him either).

Dawson.

Hence no fit/in-form CBs.

Baines is probably in the top five back up left backs in the tournament, I rate him very highly tbh.

Praise indeed :lol:

Baines is probably in the top five back up left backs in the tournament, I rate him very highly tbh.

Praise indeed :lol:

:lol:

If we went for a 4-4-2, I'd currently probably go for something like what Rich has posted. Lennon however is looking doubtful, so I'd consider Gerrard on the right, Barry/Lampard central and Johnson on the left. Actually, maybe Milner.

So basically, you have no idea either :lol:

Something constructive next time?

If we went for a 4-4-2, I'd currently probably go for something like what Rich has posted. Lennon however is looking doubtful, so I'd consider Gerrard on the right, Barry/Lampard central and Johnson on the left. Actually, maybe Milner.

If you don't mind.

If you don't mind.

ZING!

If you don't mind.

ZING!

:aww:

Been toying with the idea of this side today:

Hart

G.Johnson - Ferdinand - Terry - A.Cole

Lennon - Lampard - Milner - A.Johnson

Gerrard

Rooney

I know a lot of people prefer someone sitting in front of the back four but Milner as a box-to-box midfield could work just as well in my opinion. He has the energy to do so and also isn't bad when the opposition have the ball. He's been brilliant for Villa this season and I'd like him to be in the side somewhere. He's played his best football through the middle of the pitch so I'd play him there for England too. Wasn't sure on the left wing spot but Johnson is the form man for that position at the moment so went for him.

Hasn't Barry played every game under Capello when fit/available? (Or damn near?)

He won't be dropped now, surely? Whatever people think of his form this season for Man City.

Hasn't Barry played every game under Capello when fit/available? (Or damn near?)

He won't be dropped now, surely? Whatever people think of his form this season for Man City.

I don't think we'll see that side but it'd be nice to see something similar. Barry has been very poor this season for Man City but has always been decent enough for England under Capello. I fully expect him to play but I'd prefer to see us go with a something a little different.

The idea of Rooney as the lone striker with a midfield of Lampard/Barry/Gerrard and then pace/trickery (Lennon/Walcott/Milner/Johnson/SWP/Cole) out wide is a good one and one I've suggested myself. But the more I read the more I think Capello will go with two strikers and Gerrard wide-left. I do honestly trust the bloke as well as far as team selection goes, first time I have felt that about an international manager perhaps ever. Just can't wait for the fucking thing to start!!

The idea of Rooney as the lone striker with a midfield of Lampard/Barry/Gerrard and then pace/trickery (Lennon/Walcott/Milner/Johnson/SWP/Cole) out wide is a good one and one I've suggested myself. But the more I read the more I think Capello will go with two strikers and Gerrard wide-left. I do honestly trust the bloke as well as far as team selection goes, first time I have felt that about an international manager perhaps ever. Just can't wait for the fucking thing to start!!

Agreed, I can't see him budging on the system he favours with Gerrard on the left. There's a huge weight on Heskey's shoulders if that is the case and it does worry me that we may not see the best of Rooney if we go down the 4-4-2 route. It also means we'll struggle to see the best of Gerrard too. I do trust him though and I'll happily go along with what he believes is best.

Can't wait for it to start either, trying to plan time off work at the moment. Think we're just going to close for the game which is an afternoon kick off. :lol: I'm just praying I get to use the ticket I have for the Final!

Dawson.

Take it you haven't been watching Spurs recently. He and King have been the best CB partnership in the league in the last month or so.

Guest Stephen927

Dawson.

Dawson has had a very good season, definitely not international quality.

I would be split on who to take out of Bent and Zamora. Bent has more goals against the top 6 in the league, but Zamoras overall play and attitude has been excellent, he's been a brilliant focal point for Fulham. I would be concerned though about bringing in a player who hasn't been in any of the squads in qualifying.

David James #1 for the World Cup, then I would really push Joe Hart in Euro 2012 qualifying.

Hart

Gerrard

Rooney

I know a lot of people prefer someone sitting in front of the back four but Milner as a box-to-box midfield could work just as well in my opinion. He has the energy to do so and also isn't bad when the opposition have the ball. He's been brilliant for Villa this season and I'd like him to be in the side somewhere. He's played his best football through the middle of the pitch so I'd play him there for England too. Wasn't sure on the left wing spot but Johnson is the form man for that position at the moment so went for him.

Milner does have the energy and tenacity to play in the middle, but neither he or Lampard are good enough in the air, or at tackling to compete with the best strikers in the world.

Hart

Gerrard

Rooney

Milner does have the energy and tenacity to play in the middle, but neither he or Lampard are good enough in the air, or at tackling to compete with the best strikers in the world.

I think we have a problem in central midfield. Carrick has been poor, Hargreaves has been dead and personally, I don't think Barry is that good. I'd play him for lack of anyone else, and that he has experience in England's central midfield. I worry against quality exponents of pass and move that we will be taught a lesson there due to a lack of a top-class defensive midfielder.