José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's not as good as it gets tactically though.  Barcelona had lost their edge before he started beating them with Madrid. Rafa Benitez bested him several times in 2 legged affairs with an inferior side. Not once did he outclass his opposition tactically in his Madrid CL semi finals.

He has a great approach to management which is great at getting the best out of individual players over the course of a season.  He also makes quick decisions for substitutes which helps.  But purely tactically? He has a default approach based on organisation, athleticism and counter attacking.

He's not inept by any means in that area. But it's not his greatest strengths and there are better out there.

:thup:

He's fantastic at setting up a team tactically when they are the underdog, but struggles at building a team to take the game to the opposition.

As shown by last season against Dortmund, his Real Madrid team always struggled when they had to break down a team he's not the best at that sort of stuff.

There's few better at what he excels at though.

Indifferent. His public persona is clearly a front, so I have no idea what he is as a person. As a manager his CV speaks for itself. Anybody who doubts him as a tactician should rewatch Chelsea vs. Inter and Inter vs. Barcelona from 2010. Two perfectly prepared matches, particularly the second one against the monstrous Barça of the time.

I do dislike how eager the doe-eyed media is to lick his boots (due to his apparent "entertainment" value). Hate that.

I also find this renewed fascination with him interesting, considering he's generally not as 'good' as he was pre-Madrid. In my estimation anyway.

He's not as good as it gets tactically though.  Barcelona had lost their edge before he started beating them with Madrid. Rafa Benitez bested him several times in 2 legged affairs with an inferior side. Not once did he outclass his opposition tactically in his Madrid CL semi finals.

He has a great approach to management which is great at getting the best out of individual players over the course of a season.  He also makes quick decisions for substitutes which helps.  But purely tactically? He has a default approach based on organisation, athleticism and counter attacking.

He's not inept by any means in that area. But it's not his greatest strengths and there are better out there. 

Rafa didn't do that well against Mourinho's sides. The CL semis we won were both close-run things, and in 2005 in particular, Chelsea's side was decimated by injuries and fatigue, while we went into the game with our best 11 in top condition (they were pushing for the league title, we were concentrating 100% on the CL).

IIRC, we bossed them twice: once when Gerrard and Hamann had an absolute barnstormer in midfield (while their 3 had a 'mare), and once when Essien was at CB because all their actual centre backs were out injured.

That said, I'd like to see Mourinho win the Champions League with Djimi Traore in his side …

Mourinho is, IMO, very astute tactically, but also a good man manager. He has the charisma to get away with defensive tactics where lesser characters would not.

He takes as much pressure off the players as possible.

He did exactly the opposite at Real Madrid, particularly in his last year there. Always deflecting blame.

True,I think he had already lost interest and gave up by then.He knew either Chelsea or Man Utd would be his next destination.

He did exactly the opposite at Real Madrid, particularly in his last year there. Always deflecting blame.

Did a lot to change my opinion of him tbh.

The situation at Real probably wasn't the ideal setting for him. Jose's hands were a little tied with their "galactico" recruiting policy, and the pressures to play certain players.

It's the exact same reason he fell out with Roman during his first Chelsea spell (if we believe rumors). I think the only draw he had to Real Madrid was the prospect of getting one over on Barcelona.

Exactly. Wait till stuff doesn't go his way, it'll all be 'players who betrayed me etc' like last time he left Chelsea.

Exactly. Wait till stuff doesn't go his way, it'll all be 'players who betrayed me etc' like last time he left Chelsea.

I don't remember him saying much negative about Chelsea when he left. I thought both parties parted with dignified silence so much so that it was left to the journalists to speculate who betrayed who. One common trait about Mourinho's management of players is that they will go the extra level for him. Quite a few of his ex players from the likes of Carvalho, Drogba, Lampard, Sneijder, Materrazi, has testified he was the best manager they've played under.

Did a lot to change my opinion of him tbh.

The situation at Real probably wasn't the ideal setting for him. Jose's hands were a little tied with their "galactico" recruiting policy, and the pressures to play certain players.

One of the reasons Jose went to Madrid was because he had final say on all transfers.

:lol:

Ummm, no.

Chelsea 1.0 was all Jose vs Roman and his cronies. 

Ummm, no.

In the end he left because of a bust-up with Terry, no? There where rumours  he had began losing the dressing room.

Obviously, it was just a short term issue and not fatal.

"I thought Mourinho was practically untouchable, but a lot of players had complained about him, notably John Terry," Makelele wrote.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=john+terry+mourinho&oq=john+terry+mou&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5848j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=john+terry+mourinho+bust+up

Certainly a strong rumour and Makelele has little reason to lie.

Ummm, no.

Oh yeah, Jose battling that cunt who give him hundreds of millions to build a dream team.

I'm not familiar with his exit at Chelsea, but Mourinho consistently threw his players under the bus during his last year at Real Madrid.

You could understand to a point when it was Casillas and Ramos... but you knew he had lost it completely when he started doing it to Pepe and when Cronaldo refused to align himself with Jose.

Ummm, no.

Oh yeah, Jose battling that cunt who give him hundreds of millions to build a dream team.

May have had something to do with appointing Avram Grant (lol) and Frank Arnesen (at least that kind of made sense if they could've worked together) over his head and spunking 30 million on Shevchenko when he wanted Eto'o.

And Madrid's just a clusterfuck no matter who's there, rumors are popping up already that they are ready to rumble Ancelotti if he doesn't win the La Liga or the Champions League.  Whole situation was weird, Ronaldo has said he'd work with him again and despite being the cause of it all, Ancelotti still has Lopez as his number one over Iker.