Silly Money Thresholds

afar

For the love of Christ, just delete that first post. We're just starting to get away from the 'deluded' label, this could revive the whole thing.

OK explain to me clearly how this is deluded, read the first line, THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT PLAYER VALUES. Thresholds of where it becomes silly money is more accurate a discription.

Surely it is a post about player values, if you are setting a price on a player. Just because the prices are laughable doesn't mean owt. It is the value you place on the player.

No it's a post on when an offer becomes so silly you have to take it. Lets take Steven Taylor as an example, I set the silly money threshold at 15 mill, personally I think his value is around 5 - 7 million, being English, still highly thought of in the game. We need to keep him though, and there's no gaurentte that if we sold him for that amount we would get a equivalent player in return. If someone comes along and offers around 10 million however, that's got you thinking, it's a good offer over the player value, but again you've got to weigh up whether you can replace him, chances are you'll take it, but it's not a no brainer of a decision 15 million would be.

I thought a players value is the price somebody is willing to pay, and seller is willing to let go for.

So what you are saying is that you wouldn't sell Carroll for anything less than £20m?  :idiot2:

Instead of making my own list, you can just look at your numbers and divide it by 2.

You are crazy   :cheesy:

OK this is my last attempt at explaining this, clearly my thought process is not in line with the majority of you here.

The opening few sentences explain things, not a list of values, not even a list of how much you would take for a player, it's a list of thresholds of how much you would consider as silly money to accept for a player.

If you don't understand the difference in those terms, then I give up.

Im really trying to understand. Maybe because im Norwegian, there is some small misunderstanding, so I'll try again with a small twist on it:

You would consider £20m for Carroll silly money, and sell immediatley, yet, you would perhaps sell him for £10m, which would be reasonable?

I'd let Best go for £400k tbh.

id let him go for a bag of Tudor

Some of These prices are just ludicrous no wonder people call us deluded in all fairness most of our squad are valued at below 5M apart from maybe Steven Taylor and Enrique the rest are valued from 500k to 5M

Thats right, everyone else is stupid here. Shame on us ;D

I have no idea who you are, or where you've come from, but from some of your post you don't exactly seem the most pleasant of individuals. I did not call anyone stupid, just acknowledge the fact that obviously my thought process is a little different.

If you think the thread is so comical stay out of it, again I apologies for wasting your time.

It's quite surprising how much more highly people rate Jonas over Routledge.

Well, he has more of a name given he's in the Argentine squad so he would sell for more.

Won't comment on some of the values people are suggesting there... José Enrique the most expensive LB in the world...

But this is about what price we would sell for rather than what we think others would pay, I would have thought their values to us would be closer, Routledge possibly even edging it.

I don't see that much difference. You'd get better offers from Jonás, particularly in a World Cup year, so not holding out for more would be stupid irregardless of how both players contribute to your squad.

It's not about what offers we would get, it's about what we would be willing to let them go for so should surely be based on how we rate/how important we think they are to the them rather than any outside factor like how big a name they are etc...

Let's put it this way. If Ashley sold Routledge for the same price as Jonás, it would be stupid. One has to look at all the aspects, not only footballing ones. It's the same reason younger players are valued higher than older ones, even if they have the same ability.

Lol at the opening post, but seriously... the only ones who i'd hang on for double figures with are Colo and Jose. With Colo, there's no reason why we couldn't get our money back if we held out long enough - there's every chance he's turned the corner for us. Jose's just a fantastic footballer, so shouldn't be going for anything other than big money.

In terms of our other highly rated players; Taylor/Jonas/Carroll - i'd probably let any of them go for anything in the £6-10m region tbh. Particularly Taylor.

Guest Roger Kint

Thats right, everyone else is stupid here. Shame on us ;D

I have no idea who you are, or where you've come from, but from some of your post you don't exactly seem the most pleasant of individuals. I did not call anyone stupid, just acknowledge the fact that obviously my thought process is a little different.

If you think the thread is so comical stay out of it, again I apologies for wasting your time.

Hark at you Princess Leia, when you use 'If you don't understand the difference in those terms..' its pretty clear why i said it. I apologise for trying to help, in hindsight my original act of kindness was deeply unpleasant behavoir.  ;D

I thought a players value is the price somebody is willing to pay, and seller is willing to let go for.

So what you are saying is that you wouldn't sell Carroll for anything less than £20m?  :idiot2:

Instead of making my own list, you can just look at your numbers and divide it by 2.

You are crazy   :cheesy:

OK this is my last attempt at explaining this, clearly my thought process is not in line with the majority of you here.

The opening few sentences explain things, not a list of values, not even a list of how much you would take for a player, it's a list of thresholds of how much you would consider as silly money to accept for a player.

If you don't understand the difference in those terms, then I give up.

Im really trying to understand. Maybe because im Norwegian, there is some small misunderstanding, so I'll try again with a small twist on it:

You would consider £20m for Carroll silly money, and sell immediatley, yet, you would perhaps sell him for £10m, which would be reasonable?

Yes almost, 20 million silly money, accept without even thinking about it. 15 million, that's got me thinking a little. 10 million, that's probably his value on today's market, I'm sure people think that's high, but the English factor plays into it as does the potential, and position he plays in. I'm wary that we've been burned in the past here, a lot thought selling Zoggy for 5 Million or so was a great deal as was selling Milner for 12 million, both those players could move again this summer, for probably double what the clubs pay for them.

Obviously we are not exactly flushed with money right now but at the same time we are in no great need to sell, so hanging on to players that have potential and have not yet reached their prime in terms of market value should be paramount and therefore we need to put ridiculously silly money thresholds on them.

Lol at the opening post, but seriously... the only ones who i'd hang on for double figures with are Colo and Jose. With Colo, there's no reason why we couldn't get our money back if we held out long enough - there's every chance he's turned the corner for us. Jose's just a fantastic footballer, so shouldn't be going for anything other than big money.

In terms of our other highly rated players; Taylor/Jonas/Carroll - i'd probably let any of them go for anything in the £6-10m region tbh. Particularly Taylor.

Yorkie, I think you are talking more about value and what you would accept rather than what I was talking about which is just plain silly money. I agree with you, I would probably accept those figures, except Carrol who has a much higher price in my book because of his position, physique, potential and how much others think of him in the game.

Bassong last year prime example. We had no need to sell him, he was on a cheap contract that had a couple of years to run on it, so we shouldn't have been shopping him. His market value was about 5 - 6 million.  8 - 10 million was about the region where we should weigh up our options. 12 million, was silly money we should snatch their hands off. That's the figures I put in the first post, I wasn't meaning to come over as deluded or a source of ridicule, but it looks like it had that effect, oh well, I guess people laughed at me last year when I started a thread about us needing to lower our expectations to just survival in the premiership, after the fiasco with KK and then appointing JFK. So I'm used to it. 

Yorkie, I think you are talking more about value and what you would accept rather than what I was talking about which is just plain silly money. I agree with you, I would probably accept those figures, except Carrol who has a much higher price in my book because of his position, physique, potential and how much others think of him in the game.

Bassong last year prime example. We had no need to sell him, he was on a cheap contract that had a couple of years to run on it, so we shouldn't have been shopping him. His market value was about 5 - 6 million. 8 - 10 million was about the region where we should weigh up our options. 12 million, was silly money we should snatch their hands off. That's the figures I put in the first post, I wasn't meaning to come over as deluded or a source of ridicule, but it looks like it had that effect, oh well, I guess people laughed at me last year when I started a thread about us needing to lower our expectations to just survival in the premiership, after the fiasco with KK and then appointing JFK. So I'm used to it.

I don't think i really get your point.

I don't think Coloccini's worth £10m*. He's barely worth six. He had an absolute fucking mare in the Premiership last year, irrespective of what's been an excellent season in the second division this year. That's not knocking his current form by the way, that's just the reality of it. He's looked a cut above this year but he's still not proven in the big league, so there's no way you can value him at £10m. And there's no way you'd be able to hold out for more if someone were to come asking; and even then, it's largely cos his past reputation abroad.

You said "what fee should we accept for Player X?", rather than valuation.   ... That's exactly what my post is all about. You think we should hold out for £15m for Colo if someone came sniffing. I'm saying that's crazy insano and £10m is the absolute max.

*neither's Enrique ateotd.

Btw; someone quick - fench a hanky. The lad's about to blub.

This is not a thread about perceived value of players, I repeat this is not an estimated value of players thread.

What kind of bid do you think should be accepted for our current players assuming someone ponies up the lolly?

Factor in potential, resale value, off the field issues, squad depth, injury records and the ability to replace the player.

Here’s my list:

GK

Harper – 5 million

Krul – 7.5 million

Forster – 10 million

Def

R.Taylor – 2 million

Simpson – 3 million

Enrique – 25 million

S Taylor – 15 Million

Collocini – 15 million

Williamson -  8 million

Kadar – 8 million

Mid

Barton – 3 million

Smith – 2 million

Guthrie – 12 million

Jonas – 15 million

Routledge – 10 million

Nolan – 5 million

Fwd

Shola – 3 million

Loven – 3 million

Best – 1 million

Carroll – 20 million

:dowie:

If someone put a bid in for £16m, for Carroll, afar - would you reject it? Or if someone came in with a £9m bid for Guthrie.

I get what you mean now - this isn't about a misunderstanding - i just think your post is mental regardless.

Bassong last year prime example. We had no need to sell him, he was on a cheap contract that had a couple of years to run on it, so we shouldn't have been shopping him. His market value was about 5 - 6 million.  8 - 10 million was about the region where we should weigh up our options. 12 million, was silly money we should snatch their hands off. That's the figures I put in the first post, I wasn't meaning to come over as deluded or a source of ridicule, but it looks like it had that effect, oh well, I guess people laughed at me last year when I started a thread about us needing to lower our expectations to just survival in the premiership, after the fiasco with KK and then appointing JFK. So I'm used to it. 

I don't think i really get your point.

I don't think Coloccini's worth £10m*. He's barely worth six. He had an absolute f***ing mare in the Premiership last year, irrespective of what's been an excellent season in the second division this year. That's not knocking his current form by the way, that's just the reality of it. He's looked a cut above this year but he's still not proven in the big league, so there's no way you can value him at £10m. And there's no way you'd be able to hold out for more if someone were to come asking; and even then, it's largely cos his past reputation abroad.

You said "what fee should we accept for Player X?", rather than valuation.   ... That's exactly what my post is all about. You think we should hold out for £15m for Colo if someone came sniffing. I'm saying that's crazy insano and £10m is the absolute max.

*neither's Enrique ateotd.

Btw; someone quick - fench a hanky. The lad's about to blub.

All you are saying is that you have a different threshold to how much you would snatch someone's hand off at the offer.

The thread title didn't help I guess, I might rename it to Silly money thresholds, that would have avoided a lot of pisstaking, I think but I could be wrong again.

LOL, I'm not even close to being all teary eyed yet, but if someone links a youtube of the part in Forrest Gump when his Mrs's dies, that might push me over the edge.

Honestly I'm not bothered in the slightlest, I'm not even close to rage quitting this board. Interesting though that I think in a completely different way to normal people though and how I'm absolutely awful at explaining my intent. :)

This is not a thread about perceived value of players, I repeat this is not an estimated value of players thread.

What kind of bid do you think should be accepted for our current players assuming someone ponies up the lolly?

Factor in potential, resale value, off the field issues, squad depth, injury records and the ability to replace the player.

Here’s my list:

GK

Harper – 5 million

Krul – 7.5 million

Forster – 10 million

Def

R.Taylor – 2 million

Simpson – 3 million

Enrique – 25 million

S Taylor – 15 Million

Collocini – 15 million

Williamson -  8 million

Kadar – 8 million

Mid

Barton – 3 million

Smith – 2 million

Guthrie – 12 million

Jonas – 15 million

Routledge – 10 million

Nolan – 5 million

Fwd

Shola – 3 million

Loven – 3 million

Best – 1 million

Carroll – 20 million

Shocking. Forster worth more than Krul, no.

Carroll's worth £20 million?! Why?

And pretty much the rest of it ... why do you value some of them so highly? A lot of players have done well this season, in the CCC wait and see what they are like next term.

If someone put a bid in for £16m, for Carroll, afar - would you reject it? Or if someone came in with a £9m bid for Guthrie.

I get what you mean now - this isn't about a misunderstanding - i just think your post is mental regardless.

I would seriously consider it and would 99% certain I would take it, but not without first making them sweat a little and  lining up a replacement. I wouldn't think that if I walked away from that deal I would be kicking myself forever, even if it meant taking a little less for him a year later if he had taken a step back. 20 Million however and I would.

Yeah I agree probably a mental thread, but someone has to start them, I like to be a little crazy at times :)

Routledge 10 million

Forster 10 million

Carroll - 20 million

:ben: :facepalm:

The valuations on Jonas and Guthrie are worse.

:facepalm:

Market valuation, as in what you'd accept.

This entire is an utter fucking disgrace and an homage to the nonsense that has the southern hacks drooling into their wireless notebooks. You'd accept no less than £15m for Jonas, for crying out loud?

Young, English, can to hit you in the face with a glass from 20 yards.

Yeah you can't put a price on that, this is a guy that can break someone's jaw with one left hook, if he fails to make it in the PL, the club could make a fortune from him in the ring.

Young, English, can to hit you in the face with a glass from 20 yards.

Yeah you can't put a price on that, this is a guy that can break someone's jaw with one left hook, if he fails to make it in the PL, the club could make a fortune from him in the ring.

And as a footballer?