Club statement

Magpie

For a club that's not making statements, there making statements.  O0

Next up a statement telling us that that was the last statement, bar this one, which had to be stated to clarify their position.

Next up a statement telling us that that was the last statement, bar this one, which had to be stated to clarify their position.

Yep, you don't anything from someone for months, then all of a sudden they're back & you can't shut them up. O0

Yep, you don't anything from someone for months, then all of a sudden they're back & you can't shut them up. O0

Tbf Llambliar was v.chatty for a few days when his sons film got released. Does anyone know how much the club for that?

Guest elbee909

"And that's why you don't teach a lesson to your father.

My final lesson."

Nufcblog made a good attempt of making the statement even less obvious, sadly it looks like they aren't accepting comments pointing the errors of their ways!

I'm still staggered by how many people think this statement was a good idea.

It reminds me of the old phrase "You can fool some of the people some of the time, and usually that's enough".

I don't think anyone has said that releasing this statement was a good idea.

I'd be canny gutted if he was still the owner in 5 years time. Imagine that, man. Still making the same daft decisions, no doubt.

5 years!! the thought of him still being the owner in 5 days time has me gutted.

Seems like Ashley's stupidity switch gets activated by premiership football.

All season long we've heard fuck all like it should be, and then to have a dumbass statement about no funds being available really sets the fans  up to be positive before the new season.

I'd be canny gutted if he was still the owner in 5 years time. Imagine that, man. Still making the same daft decisions, no doubt.

5 years!! the thought of him still being the owner in 5 days time has me gutted.

A few clubs over the years have talked 5 year plans & I cant recall anyone saying we have achieved our 5 year plan. This is definitely the 2nd 5 year plan under Ashley.

Do you think Ashley has watched a few youth cup games & got carried away? Look at the league tables of the stiffs & juniors & they were shit. Also if they don't want to miss anyone they imo will have to increase what they carry so for me there would be 4 pro team below the 1st team: PL stiffs league, totesport stiffs league, U18s & then bairns football for 1st years & the odd schoolboy.

The whole truth is that the club shouldn't have made ANY 'statement' apart from reassuring fans that there would be continuity and a more professional approach to handling the media/transfer speculation etc.

They have made a rod for their own backs by talking about money which is naturally going to be seized on by the fans and media - everyone knew that there wasn't going to be a fortune available but they have made it sound worse.

When Harry Catterick was in charge at Everton, they handled all their transfers in a very secretive manner - players were actually at a press conference before anyone knew anything about it ; at NUFC during the same period, we had CONSTANT speculation in the Press about this or that player, most of which never materialised on our books at all. The club seemed to think that the fans needed a constant diet of news about poss transfers which made it all worse.

The club should have kept everyone guessing about monies available and done their deals on the quiet - the Press don't like it but tough - pleasing them hasn't done the club much good over the years...

Well that update makes about 18 of the last 22 pages irrelevant.

Looking forward to seeing what malandro makes of it.

There's still no money for transfers. :lol:

A £32m loss in the Championship will turn into at least a £10m profit in the Premiership, if he's not planning to take that money out he's obviously looking to use it for player recruitment.

that leads you to question what "break even" means. is it to be able to run the club without running up any debt (if so your post says we could possibly do that next season) or is it for the club to be debt free in which case it's a lot to be paid off in 4 years.

I wonder if it just happens to coincide with the date that UEFA are looking at to block European entry to clubs that aren't financially sound.

A £32m loss in the Championship will turn into at least a £10m profit in the Premiership, if he's not planning to take that money out he's obviously looking to use it for player recruitment.

that leads you to question what "break even" means. is it to be able to run the club without running up any debt (if so your post says we could possibly do that next season) or is it for the club to be debt free in which case it's a lot to be paid off in 4 years.

I wonder if it just happens to coincide with the date that UEFA are looking at to block European entry to clubs that aren't financially sound.

Aye were thinking of Europe :thup:

The thing is, you could imagine that they are.  :lol:

No way will UEFA be turfing out any of the big 3 plus Liverpool mind.

The thing is, you could imagine that they are.  :lol:

No way will UEFA be turfing out any of the big 3 plus Liverpool mind.

if by then there is a liverpool to turf out

The whole truth is that the club shouldn't have made ANY 'statement' apart from reassuring fans that there would be continuity and a more professional approach to handling the media/transfer speculation etc.

They have made a rod for their own backs by talking about money which is naturally going to be seized on by the fans and media - everyone knew that there wasn't going to be a fortune available but they have made it sound worse.

Agree that the statement was less than reassuring, especially if we were looking for better news regarding the finances, but at least it does a job dampening down some of the more damaging speculation (even more so when you include the bizarre bonus 2nd statement).

When Harry Catterick was in charge at Everton, they handled all their transfers in a very secretive manner - players were actually at a press conference before anyone knew anything about it ; at NUFC during the same period, we had CONSTANT speculation in the Press about this or that player, most of which never materialised on our books at all. The club seemed to think that the fans needed a constant diet of news about poss transfers which made it all worse.

The club should have kept everyone guessing about monies available and done their deals on the quiet - the Press don't like it but tough - pleasing them hasn't done the club much good over the years...

???

Tend to disagree. They are still keeping everyone 'guessing about monies available', and they have done the vast majority of their 'deals on the quiet' (looking at the agent centric section of the statement they will apparently continue to do their best to keep it that way too).

???

They are keeping everyone 'guessing about monies available'.

They have done the vast majority of their 'deals on the quiet', and looking at the agent centric section of the statement they will apparently continue to do their best to keep it that way.

I've no doubt that's right. The club will invest some money this summer imho - but they want to keep their dealings below the media and fan radar because publicity and speculation are a hindrance to working efficiently in the transfer market.

None of which alters the fact that the statement was put together by an idiot. 

Agree that the statement was less than reassuring, especially if we were looking for better news regarding the finances, but at least it does a job dampening down some of the more damaging speculation (even more so when you include the bizarre bonus 2nd statement).

???

Tend to disagree. They are still keeping everyone 'guessing about monies available', and they have done the vast majority of their 'deals on the quiet' (looking at the agent centric section of the statement they will apparently continue to do their best to keep it that way too).

It was still idiotic to bring up the subject of 'no funds for players from capital' etc - there was NO need whatsoever to mention it. IF they actually DO make a signing before anyone is sold, Agents and selling clubs will not believe a word they say in future.

Most deals have been known about well in advance I think that is a bit of myth to honest. Of couse the odd unknown signs on but that happens with every manager.

???

It was still idiotic to bring up the subject of 'no funds for players from capital' etc - there was NO need whatsoever to mention it. IF they actually DO make a signing before anyone is sold, Agents and selling clubs will not believe a word they say in future.

So long as they get their money/cut they won't give a flying fuck tbh.

Most deals have been known about well in advance I think that is a bit of myth to honest. Of couse the odd unknown signs on but that happens with every manager.

Most of our business in January was not revealed anywhere until the day it was completed IIRC.

Most of our business in January was not revealed anywhere until the day it was completed IIRC.

Williamson dragged on for a week+ ffs

Routledge was known about  days in advance as we going against the Boro who were first in.

Danny Simpson was a known.

Leon Best a deadline day signing was the only one.

Routledge was known about days in advance as we going against the Boro who were first in.

I thought Routledge wasn't known about until it was revealed we'd got him? I certainly remember Boro being in for him without any mention of us. Certainly the way it reads there http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,67272.0.html  I'd say it's an excellent example.

There was also Hall & Van Aanholt which just "happened" as well.

Routledge was known about  days in advance as we going against the Boro who were first in.

I thought Routledge wasn't known about until it was revealed we'd got him?  I certainly remember Boro being in for him without any mention of us.  Certainly the way it reads there http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,67272.0.html  I'd say it's an excellent example.

iirc on the day routledge signed it was thought he was going to boro then it was broke "that another northern champioship club had bid for him", couple of hours later he'd signed.

I thought Routledge wasn't known about until it was revealed we'd got him?  I certainly remember Boro being in for him without any mention of us.  Certainly the way it reads there http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,67272.0.html

Davie Craig was ITK & dropping hints well before http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,64337.msg2160448.html#msg2160448 & it was in some of the rags before he joined us.

WOW!!! Loan signings signed as backup/short term are naturally going to be under the radar.

Best a deadline day signing was the only transfer that was not reported before it happened but that happens on deadline day.

I thought Routledge wasn't known about until it was revealed we'd got him?  I certainly remember Boro being in for him without any mention of us.  Certainly the way it reads there http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,67272.0.html

Davie Craig was ITK & dropping hints well before http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,64337.msg2160448.html#msg2160448 & it was in some of the rags before he joined us.

WOW!!! Loan signings signed as backup/short term are naturally going to be under the radar.

Best a deadline day signing was the only transfer that was not reported before it happened but that happens on deadline day.

i can't remember david craig dropping hints well before. defintly on the day though.

Whereas us being in for Harewood was widely reported.  You can't just include the ones that suit your point of view man.  :lol:

Signing Routledge came pretty much under the radar, very few people were expecting it.

Mind if Best is an example of getting someone in without others bidding, perhaps there's a different lesson there. No fucker else was interested.  :lol: