The German Steve McClaren

Guest Geordiesned

Gelsenkirchen is twinned with Newcastle n all.

It is indeed.

Think Hamburg are more similar to us tbh. Great supporters and stadium. One manager per season and so on. Schalke had won the DFB Pokal (sim. to the FA Cup) only few years ago as well. Don't think they're too similar to us.

Have you been auf Schalke? It's a fantastic stadium, with one hell of an atmosphere.

At any rate, the cities of Gelsenkirchen and Newcastle have a lot more in common than Newcastle and Hamburg, I'd wager. I've never actually been to Newcastle, but I've lived in both Hamburg and Gelsenkirchen. HSV always struck me as a bit of a prawn sandwich brigade (St Pauli for the real fans), while I'll never forget the 2000 Schalke fans waiting at the train station in 2001, who all started singing "shove the league trophy up the Bayerns' arse" the second the team arrived.

Ok, have to say, I've never been to Hamburg or Gelsenkirchen. I've only said that Hamburg are a bit similar to us because of the things I've heard about that.

After seeing your pics and reading your argument I have to agree. Schalke fans are great, indeed. Everytime I watch a match of Schalke I think that tbh.

I've always equated Schalke's champions-for-six-minutes tragedy with what happened to NUFC under Keegan as well. My god do I hate Man Utd and Bayern.

:thup: Can only agree with that. Hate Bayern more than any other club. Just hope that Mourinho will have a masterplan to destroy them in the CL final. Bayern should not be in that final, I can only say that again. I hope their luck finally comes to an end.

McClaren could make himself into the new Roy Hodgson in a few years, fair play to him for carving out a career abroad - not many English managers or players have the balls to try.

But it took Hodgson decades to achieve any kind of domestic recognition, and he'd still never be considered by one of the "big" clubs.

English clubs' directors are mostly incredibly narrow-minded. You can be sure as shit that Ferguson would never have been offered the Man Utd job today.

McClaren could make himself into the new Roy Hodgson in a few years, fair play to him for carving out a career abroad - not many English managers or players have the balls to try.

But it took Hodgson decades to achieve any kind of domestic recognition, and he'd still never be considered by one of the "big" clubs.

English clubs' directors are mostly incredibly narrow-minded. You can be sure as shit that Ferguson would never have been offered the Man Utd job today.

He already has an ok English club record to back it up whereas Hodgson didn't as much.

He already has an ok English club record to back it up whereas Hodgson didn't as much.

Man Utd is the only English club Fergie's ever managed.

It seems that top English clubs just won't sign an English manager nowadays. The only way is going abroad like Hodgson, Sir Bobby and now McLaren did.

No English manager has ever won the Premier League, right? Says it all. Although Chelsea and Liverpool are the only contenders that have switched managers these years. But even ManCity have an Italian now.

It seems that top English clubs just won't sign an English manager nowadays. The only way is going abroad like Hodgson, Sir Bobby and now McLaren did.

No English manager has ever won the Premier League, right? Says it all. Although Chelsea and Liverpool are the only contenders that have switched managers these years. But even ManCity have an Italian now.

Totally. Top clubs demand a manager with European experience (and usually league titles, too), because the game is so tactical, and you *have to* play possession football in Europe, while in the English game tactics are largely secondary to physicality. Fergie made this mistake till Queiroz talked him round (and he still fucked up by trying to *play* against Barca the other year, when his team was clearly outmatched and he should have done what Benitez did and shut the fuckers right down).

You only have to look at Benitez's record in Europe compared to the Prem to see that. The consummate tactician, he's consistenly beaten the very best continental sides (Barca, Real, Milan, Juve, Inter) with inferior players yet struggled against relative dross like Bolton and Stoke who fuck off tactics completely and just go for packing the box, hoofing the ball up front and relying on forcing the ball into the net.

Continental refs won't stand for that, so managers who only know the English game invariably get found out very quickly. McClaren's Boro only got to the UEFA Cup final after repeatedly and jammily digging themselves out of very deep holes that McClaren's lack of tactical nouse had got them in. Everton fell twice at the very first hurdle in 2005 largely for the same reasons (their bypassing the UEFA Cup and going straight to the CL hurt them, too, because they had no European ranking and were therefore guaranteed a pretty tough draw).

Given the general reluctance of English players and managers (hell, Englishmen in general) to broaden their horizons, any club with European ambitions would be daft to hire most English managers, and the odd rarity like Hodgson (and the truly world-class Sir Bobby) gets tarred with the same brush.

Man Utd is the only English club Fergie's ever managed.

Meant McClaren.

• 4 months later...
Guest GeordieAce

:lol:

Guest johnson293

Is he some kind of alien that just adopts the accent of wherever he lives?

Or just like normal people who adapt to their habitats

If it happens, then people tend to adapt/adopt an accent after a few years in a place (Jan Molby / Lovenkrands in Liverpool / Glasgow respectively for example).

McClaren hadn't been at Twente too long before 'that' Press Conference, had he?

And he's only been in 'Jormany for a few months too!

Normal? Normal is a Geordie living in London for 3 years coming back with his accent diluted, not fully blown cockney. Certainly not an Englishman living in Holland for 3 weeks and speaking broken English, then changing to a German accent a few months in to a stay in Germany. It's just not normal, and if it was no one would be batting an eyelid, as it stands people are taking the piss out of him, fans and media alike.

I've been in Spain for 20 days before, I didn't come back talking like Rafa Benitez even though I was young and trying to interact with the Spanish in their language, why? Because I'm not a mentalist like McClaren.

I just hope his next job is in Asia.

Who's arsed?

He took the enland job too early. But after sven he was the only real candidate for the job. But he's had the balls and the desire to better himself, he's gone abroad when it would have been a much easier to take a job here. And look what he'sachieved so far! Personally i take my hat off to the guy.

Fuck sake man  :lol:

Still can't believe he was England Manager.

Not that hard to believe. The mongs demanded an English manager and he was the best option.

Normal? Normal is a Geordie living in London for 3 years coming back with his accent diluted, not fully blown cockney. Certainly not an Englishman living in Holland for 3 weeks and speaking broken English, then changing to a German accent a few months in to a stay in Germany. It's just not normal, and if it was no one would be batting an eyelid, as it stands people are taking the piss out of him, fans and media alike.

I've been in Spain for 20 days before, I didn't come back talking like Rafa Benitez even though I was young and trying to interact with the Spanish in their language, why? Because I'm not a mentalist like McClaren.

;D

Can you imagine?

So, Steve, how do you explain your sides defeat in your management debut here in Thailand?

"Thee oppo nence pray velly goo fooboar I sink. Ha so. Me, you fucky fucky, 10 dollar"

;D

Can you imagine?

So, Steve, how do you explain your sides defeat in your management debut here in Thailand?

"Thee oppo nence pray velly goo fooboar I sink. Ha so. Me, you fucky fucky, 10 dollar"

bluelaugh.gif

'Mee so horny, me play you wide left.'