France gets EC 2016

Kaizero

24 teams is sheer stupidity. 16 is a nice, round, symmetric number

How is 24 any more or less 'round/symmetric' than 16?  :lol:

Think he's on about 16 > 8 > 4 > 2 rather than 24 > wtf? let's let the thid placed team join as well, lolz.

Yep that's what I meant. Should've picked a better word.

Guest Brummiemag

No problem with it going to France (although they had it as recently as 1984 and I dont think Turkey have ever held it)  but 24 teams seems too many. It means nearly half the teams entering will qualify.

I think it will lower the quality of the competition, even more dull matches.

It will also devalue the qualification competition to the extent where it may become almost meaningless for some teams 

I think it'll go against our 2018 bid to be honest, Platini will probably come out and state there can't be two concurrent tournaments so close to each other geographically!!

I imagine it'd be a dream for students, but the harsh reality is most of us would be at work and the tournament would largely pass us by. Although I think it'd be similar to when the F1 is on in Australia and the game is just replayed "as live" at a more sociable hour.

I think it'll go against our 2018 bid to be honest, Platini will probably come out and state there can't be two concurrent tournaments so close to each other geographically!!

Germany 2006

Austria/Switzerland 2008

Yeah but we're England and Platini, and Blatter, hates us!!

Germany 2006

Austria/Switzerland 2008

Yeah but, Switzerland is near Peru.

No need to have 24 fucking teams in it like. Fucking gash. Far too big and makes for a shoddy playing field. 45% of the teams taking part are going to qualify for the finals.

Also it should have gone to Italy, they're in much more need of it with all there shite grounds that need doing up and could serve as a real boost for the game there but Platini is French so there you go.

Probably try and get myself over though.

Shouldn't it be awarded to the best bid with the best facilities and stadiums, not the one with the shit grounds which need to be done up.

No need to have 24 fucking teams in it like. Fucking gash. Far too big and makes for a shoddy playing field. 45% of the teams taking part are going to qualify for the finals.

Also it should have gone to Italy, they're in much more need of it with all there shite grounds that need doing up and could serve as a real boost for the game there but Platini is French so there you go.

Probably try and get myself over though.

Shouldn't it be awarded to the best bid with the best facilities and stadiums, not the one with the shit grounds which need to be done up.

Germany should host every tournament then.

Take a running jump, Michel Platini... we can see right through your plan

Hello and welcome to part 137 of an irregular feature entitled How Football Works.

Last Thursday, Michel Platini, president of UEFA, finally pushed through his fabulous plan to cement all the richest, biggest clubs in Europe into the top league positions for the next 200 years, starting from 2012.

He calls this financial fair play. In short, it means that Manchester City have two years to spend £300million on players and ensure they are in the top four, after which the drawbridge will be raised and any future investors in football will not be allowed to incur debt.

So, if Everton were to find a buyer, his spending power would be limited proportionately to the turnover of the club, which would again be limited by the fact that Everton are mired in mid-table and need to invest in success before receiving any financial return.

That is what happened at Chelsea. Roman Abramovich put in big money, the club grew, became part of the elite and may soon be self financing. 

No wonder Abramovich is such a fan of Platini’s law; it stops a potential rival mimicking his method and busting through the glass ceiling. Now he is on the right side of it, Abramovich wants the whole thing double-glazed and reinforced.

To continue with the Everton example, even if sold to Sheik Mansour’s wealthier cousin, the club would not have as much money to spend as Liverpool, owned by the two biggest cowboys since Alias Smith and Jones.

This is fair, apparently. Then, on Friday, the 2016 European Championship was awarded to France. It will be the third major international tournament the country has hosted in 32 years.

Naturally, Platini made all the right noises, said his loyalties were divided as he had played so long in Italy and had many friends in Turkey, who were also bidding, but it was inescapable that UEFA had delivered the right result for their French president.

For just moments after the decision had been announced, Platini revealed its very handy byproduct.

‘France can now upgrade all their stadia to make them the same standard as other countries in Europe,’ he said.

And with money conveniently provided by the state, too. So this is how it ties together. French football gets a total government-financed refit just as UEFA is introducing strict financial controls.

Platini says ground improvements will not be part of debt calculations but that does not matter as most major English clubs have already rebuilt stands and facilities themselves and are still paying off the loans.

Fortunately, their French equivalents will not be so encumbered because as a result of hosting the first 24-team European Championship, they will benefit from increased capacities and other revenue-generating schemes, such as improved corporate areas, leading to additional turnover and therefore greater spending power under Platini’s rules for financial — ahem — fair play.

Only a cynic would not support UEFA on tighter economic controls, I am regularly informed, yet only a fool could not see through them. Unless, of course, this is all just a happy coincidence.

Quelle chance, as they would say in France, no doubt with increasing regularity since the scrupulously fair Monsieur Platini took charge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1282674/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Take-running-jump-Michel-Platini--right-plan.html

Guest @St_James

I think 24 is better. Smaller nations have opportunity to join the party. I don't think the quality of the Euro 2008 would have been significantly worse if England, Serbia, Scotland, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Ireland and Bulgaria had joined the other 16 who had already qualified.

You're right. England '96 / France '98 could never happen.