Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was a second yellow wasn't it? Refs often play advantage then go back and book someone.

It was.  But surely the same anomaly (somebody being able to influence the game when they shouldn't be on the park) exists whether it's a second yellow or a straight red no?

Was a second yellow wasn't it? Refs often play advantage then go back and book someone.

It was.  But surely the same anomaly (somebody being able to influence the game when they shouldn't be on the park) exists whether it's a second yellow or a straight red no?

Google tells me;

''When a referee applies advantage and a goal is scored, the player cannot be sent off but can be cautioned''

I guess that means straight red card and what you say is just one of those risks that has to be taken, it is highly unlikely to happen.

Need PM to clarify.

Google tells me;

''When a referee applies advantage and a goal is scored, the player cannot be sent off but can be cautioned''

I guess that means straight red card and what you say is just one of those risks that has to be taken, it is highly unlikely to happen.

Need PM to clarify.

As I say, I don't know the rule in it's exact form but would be interested to find out.

The only problem I can see is that the referee would need to know on the spot who he's booked and who he hasn't when the incident occurs (he can't very well stand and take his book out for a quick look before deciding whether or not to play advantage).

Other than that, it should be treated the same as far as i'm concerned.

Surprising that would be in the rule book. Just common sense the ref should be able to play advantage through and take appropriate action (whatever it is, be it telling off, yellow, red etc...) once play stops.

Otherwise it's worth punching another player in the face near the half way circle when the other team go one on one with the keeper. Ref can only either give a red or play advantage and not both! You either save a goal or only get booked :lol:

Surprising that would be in the rule book. Just common sense the ref should be able to play advantage through and take appropriate action (whatever it is, be it telling off, yellow, red etc...) once play stops.

Otherwise it's worth punching another player in the face near the half way circle when the other team go one on one with the keeper. Ref can only either give a red or play advantage and not both! You either save a goal or only get booked :lol:

What if the keeper saves the one-on-one, kicks the ball up the park and the mad-puncher-of-the-face batters the ball into the net?  The referee would then have to use that goal as the break in play to send off a guy who's just scored a goal that he shouldn't have been on the park to score.

Google tells me;

Need PM to clarify.

This would be true for Red Card for DOGSO (Denies Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity) such as a deliberate handball or foul to prevent a goal because if the goal is actually scored, then the opportunity was not denied and then it's only a Yellow for the handball or foul.

BUT, if there was violent conduct or some other reason etc for a straight Red, and the goal was scored then you would still dismiss the player for their action regardless of a goal being scored or not.

Like you're a woefully unskillful team that works hard and that's about it?

Wonder if Ghana can get themselves a piss poor goal and claim they're footballing gods.

:lol: As if they're nothing special when the fact is that the pundits on TV are just falling back on nonsense to cover the fact that they know nothing about them.

No one ever said the US were footballing gods either. Group winners? Oh hell yeah.

Ghana would be awesome if they had an Eto'o.

Still scared to death of them.

Guest mrainey

This is gonna sound reeeeaaaallllyyyy boring, but here we go.

Why did the referee play advantage for Spain's second goal when he was going to send the lad off?

If the lad had cleared Iniesta's shot off the line and the referee had waited for the next break in play then he'd have had to send the lad off after he'd prevented a goal for doing something prior to preventing the goal which would surely have been no sort of advantage at all?

I always thought that you weren't allowed to play advantage if you were going to show a red card for the foul in question?  Or does that only hold for straight red cards?  Or am I just havering nonsense?

Can anybody clarify?

It should hold only for straight red cards, as referees can't show a second yellow without confirming the player had already been booked (checking their little notes). So yeah, ref deems it bookable and lets the play continue whilst the guy who is bound to get sent off has till the next break in play to do whatever he can do. That said, I thought the booking was extremely harsh and Torres looked like an arse flapping his hands around mid air. Chile rocks, shame about those suspensions though.

Wonder if Ghana can get themselves a piss poor goal and claim they're footballing gods.

:lol: As if they're nothing special when the fact is that the pundits on TV are just falling back on nonsense to cover the fact that they know nothing about them.

No one ever said the US were footballing gods either. Group winners? Oh hell yeah.

You obviously haven't talked to my girlfriend and her brother / family / friends.

You obviously haven't talked to my girlfriend and her brother / family / friends.

:lol: Dan, man. Let them be excited. You want to get them back, make them Newcastle fans.

Guest mrainey

The only thing I don't like about the USA team is the fact that in 20yrs time we'll all refer to football as soccer. That and that miss congeniality thing they've got going with that stripe of theirs.

The only thing I don't like about the USA team is the fact that in 20yrs time we'll all refer to football as soccer. That and that miss congeniality thing they've got going with that stripe of theirs.

Throwback to 1950. Wore something similar when we beat England. Think they went with superstition when they made the new shirt.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7820/blog1950usengland.jpg

American press starting to treat Ghana the way English press treated us.

You're doomed, in that case.

They're talking too much shit, bound to end in tears.

I'm kind of glad we're not playing Ghana because it would feel bad to turf out the only surviving African team. They have more of a chance against the Septics, which is obviously good for the whole tournament.

:lol:

Excellent positioning there.

I'm kind of glad we're not playing Ghana because it would feel bad to turf out the only surviving African team. They have more of a chance against the Septics, which is obviously good for the whole tournament.

:lol:

Excellent positioning there.

:coolsmiley:

Guest mrainey

Throwback to 1950. Wore something similar when we beat England. Think they went with superstition when they made the new shirt.

Meh, better but still looks real awkward. Even if the superstition bit did work.

Off topic: just realised how brilliant the word awkward is. Sums up its meaning perfectly. :pow:

Back on topic: Still blame your lot for the whole soccer thing though.  :knuppel2:  :razz:

Meh, better but still looks real awkward. Even if the superstition bit did work.

Off topic: just realised how brilliant the word awkward is. Sums up its meaning perfectly. :pow:

Back on topic: Still blame your lot for the whole soccer thing though.   :knuppel2:  :razz:

I'm pretty sure the Aussies and Canadians call it "Soccer" as well. You can't go around blaming the US for everything you know... take Thatcher for instance. I am pretty sure that's your fault... that and the opium wars of the 1880s.

Ha, gargle my piss Switzerland.

Just watched the Spain game on Sky+, fucking delighted that group ended the way it did. Sets up two very tasty games in the next round.

On a side note, Barcelona are going to be stupidly good next year. Villa looks a terror playing from the left which is where I assume he'll spend most of his time for Barca.