Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BBC saying the team tomorrow, according to "their sources", will be:

Heskey - Rooney

Gerrard - Barry - Lampard - Lennon

Cole - Terry - Carragher - Johnson

James

I just don't get Capello. Rooney has had his best ever season playing as a lone striker the majority of the time. Was scoring all sorts of goals. Right foot, left foot, headers, everything. Put him up top alone and ensure he stays as far up the pitch as possible and let Gerrard and Lampard do the linking up behind him, with Barry holding. Lennon right and Joe Cole left. Honestly, what is the problem?

Because Gerrard/Lampard/Barry will inexplicably be unable to maintain possession against inferior opponents, and in their frustration will start lumping it up to Rooney who will be left isolated, ineffective and marked out of the game.  And we won't understand why, since they all play successfully with lone strikers at club level. 

It doesn't make any sense, but it's probably better to acknowledge the reality of the situation and play Heskey. 

Green

Johnson   Dawson :dave:   Terry   Cole

Barry                 

Lennon   Lampard   Gerrard   Cole

Rooney

How can Capello not have ever tried that?

BBC saying the team tomorrow, according to "their sources", will be:

Heskey - Rooney

Gerrard - Barry - Lampard - Lennon

Cole - Terry - Carragher - Johnson

James

I just don't get Capello. Rooney has had his best ever season playing as a lone striker the majority of the time. Was scoring all sorts of goals. Right foot, left foot, headers, everything. Put him up top alone and ensure he stays as far up the pitch as possible and let Gerrard and Lampard do the linking up behind him, with Barry holding. Lennon right and Joe Cole left. Honestly, what is the problem?

Because Gerrard/Lampard/Barry will inexplicably be unable to maintain possession against inferior opponents, and in their frustration will start lumping it up to Rooney who will be left isolated, ineffective and marked out of the game.  And we won't understand why, since they all play successfully with lone strikers at club level. 

It doesn't make any sense, but it's probably better to acknowledge the reality of the situation and play Heskey. 

I see what your saying, but Joe Cole on the left and Barry behind are really good in posession, and so it would certainly come together a decent amount of the time. I know it's been tried in the past before, but this back when Rooney was still uncomfortable alone upfront, and also Gerrard hadn't yet played behind a front man before. They are both now far more experienced in these roles, and even excelling in them. Just think it's a shame it hasn't been tried more recently, and there really isn't any reason why. There were more than enough friendlies to give it a go.

If we think Rooney's gonna have two or three players on him, let's use that to our advantage. Have players who can run in behind to exploit gaps or break from the middle. I think Heskey did well, but it'll be very hard for us to score like that, tbh.

If we think Rooney's gonna have two or three players on him, let's use that to our advantage. Have players who can run in behind to exploit gaps or break from the middle. I think Heskey did well, but it'll be very hard for us to score like that, tbh.

:thup:

I think Algeria will defend deep though so I'd put Crouch up there, he's much more of a threat from crosses than Heskey.

Anyone see that stat on SSN about how England and Rooney's 'minutes per goal' are both better when Rooney is playing with Crouch, and not Heskey? :iamatwat:

Never?! ;)

Guest firetotheworks

I find it hard to question Capello yet, when barely anything has went wrong aside from a goalkeeping fuck up. Which, if the BBC are right, he's immediately rectified.

The ball has to be dodgy, seriously, the amount of times the keepers have lost the ball when it should be a simple catch is flabbergasting.

Seems to float instead of bending/curving as well. So many passes, corners, crosses floating out.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/lifestyle-news/leisurenews/2010/06/16/alton-towers-resort-consoles-robert-green-s-by-offering-free-entry-to-theme-park-66331-26665697/

The Alton Towers Resort today announced that despite his blunder against the USA last week, on Friday 18th June the first 100 guests named Robert Green will be given free entry to the Theme Park.

To enliven fellow ‘Robert Greens’ who have suffered a week of flack from the high profile howler, the Resort is getting behind the goal keeper in preparation for the next England game against Algeria. Guests will be required to provide proof of their name on presentation of a passport or driving license to be eligible for free entry.

Morwenna Angove, Sales and Marketing Director at the Alton Towers Resort said ‘The England team have the whole country behind them and we're wishing them very best of luck. We’re especially showing our support to the goal keeper by offering Robert Greens free entry on Friday.’

* The first 100 customers to arrive at the admissions plaza of the Alton Towers Theme Park named Robert Green will receive free entry to the Theme Park. A passport or Driving License must be shown as proof.

Terms and Conditions apply. The Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to refuse entry

:lol:

If we think Rooney's gonna have two or three players on him, let's use that to our advantage.

He does at Man U against better defenders and still scores. I'd personally play Defoe or Crouch tomorrow, before going to 4-1-4-1 in the QF.

Green

Johnson   Dawson :dave:   Terry   Cole

Barry                 

Lennon   Lampard   Gerrard   Cole

Rooney

Has to be this.

Basically unless you are playing opp who are going to control the midfield ie Spain or Arg you put your best players on the pitch, which means Defoe should start with Rooney. Crouch and heskey have too many other limitations.

Actual, decent punditry for a fucking change.

just keep lee dixon off the screen, he adds nothing.

it would be better if the pundits actually disagreed with one another once in a while and engaged in a proper discussion.

http://www.4thringroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/maradona.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/17/article-1287382-0A13C67A000005DC-933_468x272.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7955/garrincha.jpg

:rose: