Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not if you're from New York there isn't.

:lol: I don't mind foreign Yankee fans, tbh. More the merrier. Just be there when we're shit again.

Can I ask when that will be? I'd like to pass it along to the Orioles' front office.

:lol: I don't mind foreign Yankee fans, tbh. More the merrier. Just be there when we're shit again.

Can I ask when that will be? I'd like to pass it along to the Orioles' front office.

:lol: Man. Let me ask you, since you're an O's fan. This whole Tampa Bay actually being competitive in the AL East thing, it's killing you, right?

It's much easier to develop your basketball skills in American than your football skills. They've got rims every where and street ball exists in every city. It's just like the Brazilians and how the kids play football on the streets. Any good, athletic American kid is drafted into his JV/Varsity basketball/american football teams and that's it, there's no chance to develop them into a good footballer. I also think the fact that they've got to be drafted and s***, and thus not allowing professional teams to develop their own talent from a young age (like 12 or 13, like it is in Europe) means the quality of the players is much lower than you'd expect from a country with such a large population and good sporting infrastructure.

I agree with this and disagree.  You're right that basetballs is played more on the streets (just kids outplaying) because there are rims all over - city courts and sububan driveways, and you're also right that Football is king. Most American kids first organised sport is soccer, and then as soon as they are old enough to play football or baseball off they go.  Often because the parents prefer that sport.

BUT....the US soccer infrastructure is immense and I would estimate that there are more kids playing club soccer in Dallas than in Newcastle. The amount of teams, coaches, leagues that are set up in TX is huge. My suburban town on the edge of DFW has 38,000 residents and our local youth soccer association has approx 2,500 kids playing year round. Similar in the surrounding towns/suburbs too.  And High School Soccer is very good in TX - with very few kids walking onto the team that do not play Club soccer (and that costs players $2K-5K per year depending on clubs chosen).

The difference between soccer in america and basketball or even football, is that it's only ever really played as an organised sport. You don't see kids having a kickabout in the street or the park, only official team "practices" or team games.  So the players learn formation and tactics but less so the personal skills developed by playing 1-on-1 with your mates.

I see a very different style of play between the High School varsity teams that are Hispanic/Mexican vs the White/Suburban. Hispanic players are very "me"-centric, always wanting to take on a player, when a pass to a team mate is a better option. They see, culture and value the individual skill. The white/suburban player is all about teamwork and spreading the ball around, not as much close in skill.  They value, team work and athletic ability. And the two team styles don't mix well. :-)  But, the one thing that neither team does is the kick/run or Long Ball approach which is good to see.

I predict that in 10-20 years, the USA will be a permanent fixture in the Quarter/Semi Finals as they will be churning out more quality players that end up in Europe playing for our top clubs.

Ghana were rubbish second half. They'll need to improve to have a chance against Uruguay. I thought they were very sloppy in defence.

The US defence and central midfield are so average thar it is painful. I actually lkike their forward line and wings especially if Davies can recover and Adu ever comes around. The rest of the is awful apart from Howard.

It's much easier to develop your basketball skills in American than your football skills. They've got rims every where and street ball exists in every city. It's just like the Brazilians and how the kids play football on the streets. Any good, athletic American kid is drafted into his JV/Varsity basketball/american football teams and that's it, there's no chance to develop them into a good footballer. I also think the fact that they've got to be drafted and s***, and thus not allowing professional teams to develop their own talent from a young age (like 12 or 13, like it is in Europe) means the quality of the players is much lower than you'd expect from a country with such a large population and good sporting infrastructure.

I agree with this and disagree.  You're right that basetballs is played more on the streets (just kids outplaying) because there are rims all over - city courts and sububan driveways, and you're also right that Football is king. Most American kids first organised sport is soccer, and then as soon as they are old enough to play football or baseball off they go.  Often because the parents prefer that sport.

BUT....the US soccer infrastructure is immense and I would estimate that there are more kids playing club soccer in Dallas than in Newcastle. The amount of teams, coaches, leagues that are set up in TX is huge. My suburban town on the edge of DFW has 38,000 residents and our local youth soccer association has approx 2,500 kids playing year round. Similar in the surrounding towns/suburbs too.  And High School Soccer is very good in TX - with very few kids walking onto the team that do not play Club soccer (and that costs players $2K-5K per year depending on clubs chosen).

The difference between soccer in america and basketball or even football, is that it's only ever really played as an organised sport. You don't see kids having a kickabout in the street or the park, only official team "practices" or team games.  So the players learn formation and tactics but less so the personal skills developed by playing 1-on-1 with your mates.

I see a very different style of play between the High School varsity teams that are Hispanic/Mexican vs the White/Suburban. Hispanic players are very "me"-centric, always wanting to take on a player, when a pass to a team mate is a better option. They see, culture and value the individual skill. The white/suburban player is all about teamwork and spreading the ball around, not as much close in skill.  They value, team work and athletic ability. And the two team styles don't mix well. :-)  But, the one thing that neither team does is the kick/run or Long Ball approach which is good to see.

I predict that in 10-20 years, the USA will be a permanent fixture in the Quarter/Semi Finals as they will be churning out more quality players that end up in Europe playing for our top clubs.

We were told that 15 years ago and really all that's come through since is a couple of average premiership players.

:lol: I don't mind foreign Yankee fans, tbh. More the mierrier. Just be there when we're shit again.

:lol: Man. Let me ask you, since you're an O's fan. This whole Tampa Bay actually being competitive in the AL East thing, it's killing you, right?

The shame hurts.

We were told that 15 years ago and really all that's come through since is a couple of average premiership players.

:nods: :thup:

Love the meaningless predictions.  Same with the Pele one that an African team would win the WC by the end of the last century.

:lol: I don't mind foreign Yankee fans, tbh. More the mierrier. Just be there when we're shit again.

The shame hurts.

:lol: I'd be furious if I was an O's or Toronto fan.

btw, Sorry about Jeffrey Maier.

the US just hasn't pushed on in terms of developing players in the last decade or so, which is surprising. back in 94 the received wisdom was that the US would be great/win a world cup in 20 years, so that leaves 4 years left for them to get good... but the progress has only been in small increments and the player pool they have to pick from is quite poor, both in quality and depth.

the US just hasn't pushed on in terms of developing players in the last decade or so, which is surprising. back in 94 the received wisdom was that the US would be great/win a world cup in 20 years, so that leaves 4 years left for them to get good... but the progress has only been in small increments and the player pool they have to pick from is quite poor, both in quality and depth.

The fact is the intricacies of football and all the effort that goes into draws and the beautiful subtelties of the game will always be lost on a mass american audience growing in the vacum otherwise known as American culture. It's basically a wasteland apart from NY and LA.

It's the beauty of football, tbh. You take a piss poor country like Brazil and they are the best in the world at the game though US soccer must be better funded.

Irrelevant. Even in rich countries the best players grow up poor. Rich people are fat.

That's my point, man. That's where the US will never be able to compete.

It's the beauty of football, tbh. You take a piss poor country like Brazil and they are the best in the world at the game though US soccer must be better funded.

Irrelevant. Even in rich countries the best players grow up poor. Rich people are fat.

..and the fattest are americans.

ps You think we'll see more of Appiah?

The fact is the intricacies of football and all the effort that goes into draws and the beautiful subtelties of the game will always be lost on a mass american audience growing in the vacum otherwise known as American culture. It's basically a wasteland apart from NY and LA.

:lol:

:lol:

:joker:

:nods: :thup:

Love the meaningless predictions.  Same with the Pele one that an African team would win the WC by the end of the last century.

True -easy to say.

What I am saying is that soccer is growing in USA, and building deeper roots. Much deeper than in the 70 etc.

While the USA will never be a Brazi or Argentina (pure samba skill) they will be a Germany (with Teutonic efficiency rather than skill)

..and the fattest are americans.

ps You think we'll see more of Appiah?

Plenty of poor people in America and every other Western nations. The key s to get them in rich people's facilities when they are in their teens so they can polish their games. It's something we definitely don't do enough of in Africa.