Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

Fall over Fereday.

Billy Askew

Paul thingy, Gazza's mate.

Mark Stimson

Also remember a Darren someone, I'm fairly sure it was Keegan that paid the money out for him.

McDonough or something?

Aye, that's him. Probably the oddest Keegan signing.

Here's some more..

Andreas Anderson

Dave Beasant

Paul Bodin

Paul Dalglish

Talent to wage ratio he's easily the worst player to have ever earned money at the club.

Michael Owen.

Owen comes close but considering he's actually scored goals for us and won us matches instead of losing matches and generally being the oppositions 12th man, its a Alan Smith KO on Owen's shitness.

Owen comes close but considering he's actually scored goals for us and won us matches instead of losing matches and generally being the oppositions 12th man, its a Alan Smith KO on Owen's shitness.

£17,000,000 transfer fee and over £110,000 a week will work out at almost £40,000,000 and our reward was 26 league goals.  I'm not sure how many points his goals were worth but we could have done a lot better for that outlay.

Edit.

That £40,000,000 will be lower because we received compensation after his injury while playing for England.

Owen's the worst value for money signing we've ever had i reckon - Mick highlights that. There's no doubting, however, that for a couple of spells he was one of the best strikers i've seen play for us. I haven't seen a great deal, certainly not in comparison to some, but his quality when he first signed was undoubtedly very high. He was superb at attacking-midfield under Keegan, too.

The best part of £20m will have been spent on Smith for a 0 goal return, with probably 50 yellow cards, several hundred free kicks against plus several thousand misplaced passes.

We got £13m back off the FA for Owen when he got injured plus England paid his wages for that time, that's nearly half of his total wiped out.

The best part of £20m will have been spent on Smith for a 0 goal return, with probably 50 yellow cards, several hundred free kicks against plus several thousand misplaced passes.

We got £13m back off the FA for Owen when he got injured plus England paid his wages for that time, that's nearly half of his total wiped out.

I've commented (added an edit) on the compensation which wasn't £13 million and the compensation was to cover his wages.  We received a one off payment from the FA.

Owen was out for 10 months and while the FA's insurance policy covered half of his £110,000-a-week wages at Newcastle, Shepherd launched a claim to recover medical expenses and other costs. It is understood Newcastle will receive around £10m from their own and the FA's insurers, plus a payment from Fifa.

Takes Owen down to at least £30m total spend. Smith wins.

It's probably fair to point out that injuries have quite literally crippled his career. He was a decent player before the leg break.

Indeed, it also didn't help that SAF insisted on playing him in defensive midfield - that was never his best position.

Thought he was a key player for us in the Championship (better than Butt anyway).

Owen was out for 10 months and while the FA's insurance policy covered half of his £110,000-a-week wages at Newcastle, Shepherd launched a claim to recover medical expenses and other costs. It is understood Newcastle will receive around £10m from their own and the FA's insurers, plus a payment from Fifa.

I've just checked the accounts, we received £6.7 million from the FA for Owen.

I've commented (added an edit) on the compensation which wasn't £13 million and the compensation was to cover his wages.  We received a one off payment from the FA.

was around 6 or 7 million iirc.

Owen was terribly average for us, it's his inflated wages and fee that makes him a bad signing. Disregarding those aspects, there's been far worse forwards at nufc over the years. mind you, for the lack of bottle he showed in his last 6 months here he's my most hated ex-nufc player.

I've just checked the accounts, we received £6.7 million from the FA for Owen.

Plus our own insurance and FIFA payments which is stated above.

Owen was just fucking dispicable for the majority of his time here. Even in early 07/08 - i recall him coming on and scoring against Wigan late on. Then cupping his ears to the supporters cos he thought they'd booed him (when infact they were just booing the substitution of Martins). I mean wtf? I'm not saying there was always an underlying vendetta between Owen and the fans, but what's for certain is that he was never, ever right for this club. From the forced smiles infront of the Leazes till his last moments at Villa Park.

His performances in his final half-season, after everything the club had rewarded him with... a colossal wage packet, a way back into English football, the club captaincy, an injury table... were fucking pathetic. He still and will always owe us. Little fucking cunt.

Owen was just fucking dispicable for the majority of his time here. Even in early 07/08 - i recall him coming on and scoring against Wigan late on. Then cupping his ears to the supporters cos he thought they'd booed him (when infact they were just booing the substitution of Martins). I mean wtf? I'm not saying there was always an underlying vendetta between Owen and the fans, but what's for certain is that he was never, ever right for this club. From the forced smiles infront of the Leazes till his last moments at Villa Park.

His performances in his final half-season, after everything the club had rewarded him with... a colossal wage packet, a way back into English football, the club captaincy, an injury table... were fucking pathetic. He still and will always owe us. Little fucking cunt.

didnt Martins set up Owen in the wigan game?

Ah he did actually. It'll have been N'Zogbia or something then. But either way, they weren't booing Owen. Even if they were - why even bother cupping your ears to your own supporters? It's a fairly tennuous part of my argument but the point still stands. He never attached himself to the club.

Guest VegasToon

I would say Owen is by far the worse.  At least Smith is a leader in the clubhouse.

Can't imagine Smith being good at golf like.

Haha...I can.  He has had a lot of time to play.  :lol:

I infinitely prefer Smith as a human being and someone who tries hard and gives his all, but he still represents much worse value than Owen.

We got something for our massive outlay on Owen, we've had nothing at all from our large outlay on Smith. Can't pass, shoot, tackle, dribble or score. At least Owen, as cretinous as he is and as pathetically as he behaved, knocked a few goals in and had a few decent games.

Guest Mucky01

Michael Owen brought with him loads of sponsorship £millions for the club as well as loads of replica shirt sales — which one of the main reasons FS wanted someone of his profile.

Something that Smith could never do, except for MA’s XXXL shirts, that he probably never paid for anyway.