Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

He was on about £3m a year, so I imagine they have settled for a figure significantly less than that - benefit to him is that he can go off and get a new contract, with (for example) £1.5m in his pocket. Benefits the club as they save some money from the £3m, and benefits the player (he gets to find some match time and still gets a fair bit of wedge, plus a new contract elsewhere).

Seems like a decent bloke, but a disaster here.

Only concern is that the fantastic spirit everyone talks about seems to have been based upon Nolan, Smith, Harper, and to a lesser extent Carroll and Barton. Two of those gone, two of those are likely to be a bit p*ssed off about contract situation, which leaves Harper, who I imagine will be under a lot of pressure from Krul/Forster next year.

If all these rumours are true about Nolan, Barton, Smith, Ranger etc then it looks like there is a "cleansing" process going on. Golfmag's post all those months ago referred to Ashley's concern that there was too much player power and (I think) a lack of discipline. Maybe now is the fallout time or at least the start of it. 

Don't think play power has anything to do with it, it's wages IMO.

Certainly agree that there is a certain amount of cleansing like.

Well yes but the wages go hand in hand with the power thing, in that the power seems to rest with some of the highest paid players. Certainly Nolan and Barton have been the two most gobby players in the squad and have given clear instructions and opinions in public on what they expect the board to do, I don't think that will have gone down at all well.

Any time you try and bring in a change of culture you are taking risks and, if that is what is going on now, then it needs careful handling.

Not sure why so many people hate him. Don't get me wrong, I think he's s****, totally s****, but he isn't an arsehole and is a 100%er .

Always wondered the same with a few players.

I also don't think somebody who hides from the ball and fails to impose himself on any game - only to try and cover it up with ludicrous hollywood challenges - as a '100%er'

Just because he is shit doesn't mean, doesn't mean he isn't a hundred percenter. Still though i am glad he is gone.

Guest dazzanufc1892

tried to engineer a move away a few years ago, useless waste of the wage bill.

seems like the club are determined to rid of any wasters or attitudes. campbell offered early release, spear and ranger gone, now smith

So has he been released and is now a free agent, or just been made available for no fee?

wrapped in a towel and shoved off an aircraft carrier at sea, in accordance to the traditions of his religion

wrapped in a towel and shoved off an aircraft carrier at sea, in accordance to the traditions of his religion

:lol:

I dont hate the lad I just think he aint got the legs to cope with the prem anymore, his wages are insane for someone on the bench.

Feel a bit sorry for him now. :lol:

Cack player, but don't wish him any ill at all. It's not his fault we pay him stupid wages yet don't realise he's way past it.

Guest schmuck

... with the Newcastle hierarchy were worried that any on-land burial site may become a shrine for Sam Allardyce.

Thread title is a little harsh though aye.