ITV

Dave

Whenever I have worked on live broadcasts, albeit only as a cameraman and for much smaller TV & internet companies, it has always been somebody's job to click a button to log a timecode for any goals scored as soon as the ball hits the back of the net.

It looks to me like somebody (presumably at TNS if they were doing editing & production work in addition to working the live feeds) mistakenly clicked on a 'Pause HD broadcast' button instead of the 'Log goal-time' button, thereby automatically triggering the advert on the HD feed as soon as the goal went in.

With there being a 5-second delay for the HD pictures to be encoded after being received from SA (I stand to be corrected here BTW), the advert (in SD) therefore came on straight away, and just as the throw-in was about to be taken in the build-up to England's goal.

Obviously panic then ensued...hence the black screen at the end of the advert as they tried to get the HD feed back, and it ended up with an SD broadcast in an effort to try and get something back online as soon as possible.

It's the only way I can explain the coincidence of a goal being missed twice.

It was probably the same scenario for the Everton v. Liverpool match when it happened before. (Somebody not hitting the right button to log the goal time and setting off something else in error).

I wouldn't mind betting it was inexperienced staff using new software/control panels.

Totally inexcusable and heads should roll.

41 page thread over there. :laugh:

Whenever I have worked on live broadcasts, albeit only as a cameraman and for much smaller TV & internet companies, it has always been somebody's job to click a button to log a timecode for any goals scored as soon as the ball hits the back of the net.

It looks to me like somebody (presumably at TNS if they were doing editing & production work in addition to working the live feeds) mistakenly clicked on a 'Pause HD broadcast' button instead of the 'Log goal-time' button, thereby automatically triggering the advert on the HD feed as soon as the goal went in.

With there being a 5-second delay for the HD pictures to be encoded after being received from SA (I stand to be corrected here BTW), the advert (in SD) therefore came on straight away, and just as the throw-in was about to be taken in the build-up to England's goal.

Obviously panic then ensued...hence the black screen at the end of the advert as they tried to get the HD feed back, and it ended up with an SD broadcast in an effort to try and get something back online as soon as possible.

It's the only way I can explain the coincidence of a goal being missed twice.

It was probably the same scenario for the Everton v. Liverpool match when it happened before. (Somebody not hitting the right button to log the goal time and setting off something else in error).

I wouldn't mind betting it was inexperienced staff using new software/control panels.

Totally inexcusable and heads should roll.

41 page thread over there.

Dave man some of them geeks looked over here the day KK was forced out &  thought "800 pages" :laugh:

Already infuriated with them fucking up the football I tuned into ITV2 to watch the Strokes at IOW. Instead of showing them they presented the show from the side of the crowd while they played and showed highlights of shit like N-Dubz for the whole show ending with 2 Strokes songs. Cunts.

Just rejoice in having super duper HD fellas.

Sleep easy knowing the scratters of the UK united in rejoicing Gerrards goal while the vain contemplated a new car purchase.

Stuck record.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Chiles has improved things for them no end, but they are still utter utter shit.

I think Chiles is coming down to their levels faster than ITV improving to his.

Holy shit Marcel Desailly  ;D Loves his Country so much he played for France.

Already infuriated with them f***ing up the football I tuned into ITV2 to watch the Strokes at IOW. Instead of showing them they presented the show from the side of the crowd while they played and showed highlights of s*** like N-Dubz for the whole show ending with 2 Strokes songs. c***s.

Not relevent to this topic but ITV in general had Neil Young at I.O.W and didnt show a bloody song last year  :rant:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Mirror saying that people have phoned to OFCOM and complained about the standard of ITV's coverage.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/World-Cup-Welcome-to-the-Woe-Cup-on-ITV-as-fans-complain-in-their-thousands-at-embarrassing-TV-coverage-from-South-Africa-article467469.html

Viewers have slammed:

* The calamitous 20-second ad break when more than 1.5million HDTV viewers missed England’s goal against the US.

* Ad breaks being crow-barred into every available break and going on for too long.

* Host Adrian Chiles’s scruffy appearance.

* The poor quality of pundits, including Kevin Keegan and Andy Townsend.

* An inappropriate item on the Battle of Rorke’s Drift, the bloody 1879 clash between 150 British troops and 4,000 Zulus, before the England v USA game.

Chiles, who quit the BBC to join ITV in a £6million deal, also came under fire for a jokey item about the US which saw the Brummie presenter brandishing a baseball bat and declaring: “Just stick to your sports why don’t you? You’re world beaters at them, mainly because no-one else in the world bothers playing them.

“Know your place, otherwise our special relationship might not be so special.”

Chiles was then also seen patting a greasy burger, adding: “We really love Americans – we just couldn’t eat a whole one.”

One irate England fan said: “The pre-game show was dreadful, especially the piece that Adrian Chiles did on the USA prior to kick off was bordering on racist. It doesn’t bear thinking about what ITV would have done if the opposition had been Iran.”

Other incidents which have not gone down too well include commentator Clive Tyldesley mixing up the captain in the Serbia v Ghana game.

One watcher said: “He keeps telling everyone that John Paintsil is the Ghanaian captain when John Mensah is. He’s even wearing the armband. He’s talked about Michael Essien being captain, even mentioned Stephen Appiah, but Mensah has always been the captain.”

Is the Freesat channel still fucked for anyone else? Jittery and keeps sticking. The red button feed seems fine.

This can be resolved by putting in a southern postcode. You lose regional programming but 119 works.

Guest neesy111

Chiles is good, he's a step in the right direction for ITV.

:no: steve ryder at least knows what he's on about, and makes sure football is talked about instead of someone trying to put a joke into every sentence

Ah you see I kinda like Chiles. Normally hate ITV's coverage but with Chiles, Southgate, Vieira and Desailly on board it seemed better and more laid back. But maybe thats just me  ;D

Still angry with the Gerrard blunder though  :angry:

Guest KeithKettleborough

Not that thrilled with both channels coverage really. Too many folk who struggle with English and makes them hard to listen to I find, not just Hansen either. Probably get more annoyed with some of the smug BBC lot though. I pay directly towards that and don't like to see licence payers money wasted especially if some of its mine.

Quite liked Robbie Earle but now that he's been sacked, seems like ITV will be even less watchable.

Already infuriated with them f***ing up the football I tuned into ITV2 to watch the Strokes at IOW. Instead of showing them they presented the show from the side of the crowd while they played and showed highlights of s*** like N-Dubz for the whole show ending with 2 Strokes songs. c***s.

Not relevent to this topic but ITV in general had Neil Young at I.O.W and didnt show a bloody song last year  :rant:

Or you could just live on the same street as me and get free tickets and party for 4 days without sleep. You know you've over done it when you're watching Pink swinging from the rafters thinking, ' she's actually quite good' But yes, the coverage was shit.