Vuvuzela

Thespence

It's worse when you have a surround sound system set up, I keep looking over my shoulder for fear of being mauled by, what sounds like, an angry swarm of hornets.

First of all these plastic bastards aren't even cultural, they were used by the Mexicans in the seventies and have been a South African "tradition" for little more than 5 years. Its about as African as a Soweto-based Burger King.

Secondly, noone is trying to 'de-africanize' the World Cup. We're all embracing the zaniness of the African supporters; their passion and enthusiasm is doing nothing but contribute to the whole spectacle. Tens of thousands of idiots blowing monotones out of some plastic tube, however, is destroying the ambience of football matches, it's drowning out the atmosphere and ruining the experience for countless people watching all over the world. We won't have another world cup in Africa for quite a while, so as a host nation, South Africa needs to step up and ban these god-awful things so we look back on it with fond memories.

I've just received a new amp this morning set it up and the first thing i've sat down to watch is the football, 9 mins in and i want to take a cricket bat to my new toy. :~(

I can actually picture the regretful post, describing in detail your vicious rampage. :lol:

Once upon a time, probably. Not now though.  :lol:

I think.  :frantic:

I still picture you as being Happy Gilmore ever since that thread.

The description "Nice guy, liable to go absolutely nuts every now and again" was perfect. :lol:

Guest Phil K

It's not 'their' World Cup. It's the 'World' cup and they should embrace common footballing culture.

It is their World Cup.  It's theirs to host.  If their fans want to blow horns for 90 mins, that's their choice.

By the same token, whats the sodding point of putting the backs up of the rest of the world ?

Ive yet to hear anyone say the cacophony of these things is a good atmosphere.

They do have some uses though:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs596.snc3/31392_10150185994355456_861635455_13000144_2871570_n.jpg

(Linked so as not to risk being libellous :pow:)

Nice one ! ;D

As for the vuvuzela's, they're absolutely stupid and are succeeding in doing absolutely nothing other than making African people look like a bunch of brainless retards who haven't got the mental capacity to do anything to add to the atmosphere of the games other than make the same annoying sound for a full month.

The irony being that all the fans there have been blowing on the things, and not just the Africans. I bet if most of you were down there right now you'd be doing the exact same thing.

I thought someone on here (Pilko?) looked it up and found out that they'd only been used since the 1990s at most. 'Culture' my arse. :lol:

Singing, dancing, playing music and generating a party atmosphere - yes. Blowing a stupid mass-produced piece of shit plastic horn to make a constant single note drone for 90mins - no.

Guest johnson293

As for the vuvuzela's, they're absolutely stupid and are succeeding in doing absolutely nothing other than making African people look like a bunch of brainless retards who haven't got the mental capacity to do anything to add to the atmosphere of the games other than make the same annoying sound for a full month.

The irony being that all the fans there have been blowing on the things, and not just the Africans. I bet if most of you were down there right now you'd be doing the exact same thing.

Strange thing is, in all the matches I've seen so far, everytime the crowd has been shown (low level, behind playesr, etc), I haven't seen anyone with one of these things yet??!!!

Are they all up away in the top of the stands?

If it's what the fans enjoy doing it's what they enjoy doing. Not sure why it has to be a culture from the beginning of time to be valid. I think that is a silly argument to make. Again I repeat, from the images I have seen everyone is blowing these things. Including your very own.

Strange thing is, in all the matches I've seen so far, everytime the crowd has been shown (low level, behind playesr, etc), I haven't seen anyone with one of these things yet??!!!

Are they all up away in the top of the stands?

I've certainly seen all sorts of fans blowing them. This has also been confirmed by friends who are currently down there watching the tournament.

I was responding to the people attacking those who don't like it by saying it's part of African culture, effectively implying that disliking it is tantamount to racism.

Guest firetotheworks

If it's what the fans enjoy doing it's what they enjoy doing. Not sure why it has to be a culture from the beginning of time to be valid. I think that is a silly argument to make. Again I repeat, from the images I have seen everyone is blowing these things. Including your very own.

It was a response to an argument made that its part of African culture. And once again, no one gives a shit who is doing it, its about the vuvuzela, not some insinuated argument that people can only hate it if it's made by South African. Must try harder.

I was responding to the people attacking those who don't like it by saying it's part of African culture, effectively implying that disliking it is tantamount to racism.

"I find these complaints absolutely baffling. First of all, the drone of the vuvuzelas is a tremendous, otherworldly sound. What is the point of holding a World Cup in South Africa if you are going to prevent South African crowds from expressing themselves in their own way? For me, it adds an unexpected and genuinely different feel to the whole occasion. So you can put me down as a vuvuzela-lover.

But secondly, why is it that the incessant chanting or singing of football fans is suddenly so widely cherished by viewers? Personally, I find the sound of a football crowd either dreary, boorish or, if England fans are around, plain offensive, particularly if we happen to be facing Germany or Turkey.

A ban on vuvuzelas would be a victory for bland, globalised non-culture over the current cultural expression of South Africans. It doesn’t matter that these horns are relatively new in cultural terms, having been adopted only in the early 1990s; there are plenty of things in every culture that are equally new, and it doesn’t make them any less valid.

Finally, a word of advice: if you don’t like them, I suggest you use the mute button. That way you kill two birds with one stone, getting rid not only of the vuvuzelas but the crass partiality and borderline racism of the ITV/BBC commentators."

First of all, the drone of the vuvuzelas is a tremendous, otherworldly sound.

At this point I stopped reading. Other worldly? Yep, if you believe in hell.

Guest firetotheworks

"I find these complaints absolutely baffling. First of all, the drone of the vuvuzelas is a tremendous, otherworldly sound. What is the point of holding a World Cup in South Africa if you are going to prevent South African crowds from expressing themselves in their own way? For me, it adds an unexpected and genuinely different feel to the whole occasion. So you can put me down as a vuvuzela-lover.

But secondly, why is it that the incessant chanting or singing of football fans is suddenly so widely cherished by viewers? Personally, I find the sound of a football crowd either dreary, boorish or, if England fans are around, plain offensive, particularly if we happen to be facing Germany or Turkey.

A ban on vuvuzelas would be a victory for bland, globalised non-culture over the current cultural expression of South Africans. It doesn’t matter that these horns are relatively new in cultural terms, having been adopted only in the early 1990s; there are plenty of things in every culture that are equally new, and it doesn’t make them any less valid.

Finally, a word of advice: if you don’t like them, I suggest you use the mute button. That way you kill two birds with one stone, getting rid not only of the vuvuzelas but the crass partiality and borderline racism of the ITV/BBC commentators."

Who is that quote attributed to?

Guest johnson293

I'm waiting for the racism card, you've played everything else.  :rolleyes:

There it is.  :frantic:

I'm waiting for the racism card, you've played everything else.  :rolleyes:

There it is.  :frantic:

Nothing to see here but a massive WUM doing a canny job reeling people in.

Bold bit 1) There isn't a point other than to force feed some tourism cash to S.Africa, be thankful

Bold bit 2) :facepalm:

Culture :lol:

Ban the fuckers!

This needs a poll

There's already a mass one, 60,000+ to ban, 6k to keep them.

http://www.banvuvuzela.com/

Sky News: "A website /\/\ organised to give fans a vote on whether they should be banned has seen nearly 60,000 users vote to get rid of it - as of Sunday night - whereas just 6,500 wanted it to stay"

Guest firetotheworks

The thing I find the funniest is that we should accept specifically one countries 'culture' and not be racist. Not only is that a complete contradiction, but it's ironic considering that if you want to play his game and separate countries down to culture, then its a country with, historically, an incredibly racist one.