Vuvuzela

Thespence

I really don't like them. Nearly all the games have been really boring so far and although that's 99% down to the shit football being played, in the past I've been able to get into an awful game, but this time I'm finding it hard. I reckon that's partly down to these things, they're drowning out all the other crowd noise with their monotonous droning sound and it stops you from getting caught up in the atmosphere. If someone scores all you get is dronnnnnnnnnnnnne, and if someone hacks someone down all you get is dronnnnnnnnnnnnne, and if someone hits the bar all you get is dronnnnnnnnnnnnne, and...

Having said that, if that's what they do at South African footy matches then that's what they should be allowed to do, otherwise what's the point in hosting it in South Africa. I don't want a plastic World Cup - well no more plastic than it already is! - if the tournament isn't going to reflect the country in which it's hosted then what's the point in moving it around the world each time? They might as well host it in the same place every time, somewhere bland, boring and inoffensive, like I don't know Switzerland? Part of what makes the world cup special is having it in a different place every time, even if that means that you've got to put up with the vuvuzelas, or you've got to get up in the middle of the night to watch, or the players have to put up with extreme heat, or altitude, or the the shitty British summer, perhaps? So as much as I hate them they should stay.

It's not really their "culture" though, they only became popular about seven/six years ago, they'd managed fully well without them on their own matches before.

I could hear a bit of crowd noise during the England game, even at one point a brief snatch of that brass band playing The Italian Job theme.

See, it's not all bad they managed to drown out that fucking talentless band!

Vuvuzela>>>>>>>>>>>>>England band.

I really don't like them. Nearly all the games have been really boring so far and although that's 99% down to the shit football being played, in the past I've been able to get into an awful game, but this time I'm finding it hard. I reckon that's partly down to these things, they're drowning out all the other crowd noise with their monotonous droning sound and it stops you from getting caught up in the atmosphere. If someone scores all you get is dronnnnnnnnnnnnne, and if someone hacks someone down all you get is dronnnnnnnnnnnnne, and if someone hits the bar all you get is dronnnnnnnnnnnnne, and...

Having said that, if that's what they do at South African footy matches then that's what they should be allowed to do, otherwise what's the point in hosting it in South Africa. I don't want a plastic World Cup - well no more plastic than it already is! - if the tournament isn't going to reflect the country in which it's hosted then what's the point in moving it around the world each time? They might as well host it in the same place every time, somewhere bland, boring and inoffensive, like I don't know Switzerland? Part of what makes the world cup special is having it in a different place every time, even if that means that you've got to put up with the vuvuzelas, or you've got to get up in the middle of the night to watch, or the players have to put up with extreme heat, or altitude, or the the shitty British summer, perhaps? So as much as I hate them they should stay.

It's not really their "culture" though, they only became popular about seven/six years ago, they'd managed fully well without them on their own matches before.

Who said anything about culture? What's it got to do with culture? :lol: I hardly think that if you were invited for a meal at a South African's house they'd get out their antique Vuvuleza collection to show you over coffee. The fact is if that's what they do that's what they do, when they started doing it is neither here nor there.

I'm used to the sound by now, doesn't bother me that much, but I just think it's shit that they kill the atmosphere completely. There's absolutely no reaction to a goal or when the players enter the pitch, which is fucking wank.

Who said anything about culture? What's it got to do with culture? :lol: I hardly think that if you were invited for a meal at a South African's house they'd get out their antique Vuvuleza collection to show you over coffee. The fact is if that's what they do that's what they do, when they started doing it is neither here nor there.

It's defended by FIFA using it as a reason to allow it and so on because they say it's part of South African culture. That's what it has to do with it.

I could understand being upset by them if you're in the stadium but watching it on TV it's not as bad as some here are making out.

I think it's the opposite. I could imagine it feeling like a good atmosphere at the stadium using them.

It's defended by FIFA using it as a reason to allow it and so on because they say it's part of South African culture. That's what it has to do with it.

Yeah? Well FIFA have always been full of shit.

I just don't understand the point.  I don't think I would mind if the noise in any way correlated with what was happening on the pitch.  During goals, or moments of high action.  Fine, no problem.

But it is just a steady, constant drone.  There must be a few thousand people at every match who are constantly blowing on their vuvuzela.  Without breaks, without any joy, passion or attention paid to the game.  You can't tell me they get any pleasure out of it.  It must be hard work.  Just 90 minutes of intently blowing on their trumpet, interspersed with deep, heavy gasps.  Since it can't bring them much enjoyment, I can only conclude that it is a serious, well planned and concerted effort to annoy the hell out of me.   

I like the part where it says it could lead to deafness.

No doubt 2 years time we'll have Lenny Henry begging us for cash to operate on these clowns so they get their hearing back.

Definitely find they lessen my interest in the minor games. If I'm not particularly rooting for someone and the game isn't up to much, then ending the damn drone sooner or later becomes a stronger imperative than continuing with the football.

Awful things. Normally when watching football I like to hear the passion of the crowd, the chants, the atmosphere. Now that's all drowned out and the only thing I can hear is "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Should only be allowed for games involving South Africa - if it's tradition for South African fans to use it, then using it when their own team is playing is fine. There's no need for it to be present in the other games where noone gives a shit about a repetitive droning sound.

I hate them, but it's their World Cup, they can make whatever noise they like as far as I'm concerned.

exactly - if they wanted simple racist chanting and homo-phobic abuse they should have given it to us or the Russians

They are moronic and are killing some of the enjoyment of watching the games.

It will be fucking fantastic seeing football again in August and hearing a crowd go "ooooh" when a shot goes close or celebrate when a goal is scored.

You really don't realize how much the Vuvuzela takes away until you go back and watch highlights of a "normal" match. We have some of the best international fans in the world and I love hearing them sing, but I couldn't hear any of that against Greece.

Ideally they'd be banned immediately but I doubt FIFA or the organizers would take the risk messing with "cultural" shit like that.