Should England fail to qualify from the group?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd pick Torres and Drogba up front which would mean Rooney missed out btw. He would make the bench though.

I would too, but that's a fantasy Xl. What I was trying to get at, was just about every club would be interested in signing and starting those 5.

Terry, Ashley Cole, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney would make all but the very best teams, imo.

You'd have both Gerrard and Lampard in the world's best XI midfield ahead of the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Sneijder, Ronaldo, Kaka, Essien, Pirlo, Ribery, Robben, etc etc?

In reality, you'd be lucky if most people globally included one or two English players in their World XI, and even then it's mainly due because the Premiership is one of the most televised/popular leagues in the world.

If the England players have the same warped view of their own ability that goes a long way towards explaining why they aren't performing to the level the English public expect them to...

A world XI I'd have Cole for sure and probably Rooney too.

But the point is that you've got 4 genuinely top class players, and another (Terry) who is borderline as well. I'm just not buying the concept that England don't have enough quality in their squad to win the tournament if they get it going in the right direction.

I'd pick Torres and Drogba up front which would mean Rooney missed out btw. He would make the bench though.

I would too, but that's a fantasy Xl. What I was trying to get at, was just about every club would be interested in signing and starting those 5.

That's moved the goalposts a little tbh.  ???

Lampard & Gerrard > Xavi, Iniesta or Essien? Not sure what we're going for here.  ???

Terry, Ashley Cole, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney would make all but the very best teams, imo.

Can't believe most people would choose those 5 players in their World XI's tbh. It's on a complete tangent to the thread but only Rooney would be close imo. The other 4 are very good but you wouldn't pick them for your World XI. 

To be fair he didn't say anything about a world XI. I agree with the players he has chosen. They are they only ones I would call world class. Doesn't mean they would walk into any team on the planet though, far from it.

You'd have both Gerrard and Lampard in the world's best XI midfield ahead of the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Sneijder, Ronaldo, Kaka, Essien, Pirlo, Ribery, Robben, etc etc?

In reality, you'd be lucky if most people globally included one or two English players in their World XI, and even then it's mainly due because the Premiership is one of the most televised/popular leagues in the world.

If the England players have the same warped view of their own ability that goes a long way towards explaining why they aren't performing to the level the English public expect them to...

he did say "all but" the very best teams tbf to ronaldo.

he did say "all but" the very best teams tbf to ronaldo.

Fair enough, didn't read that..  :thup:

Lampard & Gerrard > Xavi, Iniesta or Essien? Not sure what we're going for here.  ???

I didn't say that though, mate. In my original post I said "all but the very best teams."

Madrid would take Lampard or Gerrard in an eyeblink, imo.

I'm intrigued by the notion that he lost the dressing room after stripping Terry of the captaincy .

Just imagine if he didn't strip Terry of captaincy and we were performing like this.

I didn't say that though, mate. In my original post I said "all but the very best teams."

Madrid would take Lampard or Gerrard in an eyeblink, imo.

No, I think your original post was:

Painters and decorators who made the QFs in the last 3 tournaments they qualified for. Not to mention the fact that 5 or 6 of them would get into just about any first Xl in world football. You don't get to be that good by looking for tea breaks.

I was going on the phrase 'just about any first XI in world football'. That sounded like you meant the best XI it was possible to name.  :thup:

Not arsed really. I still don't think we've got enough good players to win the thing, or come close tbh. Sadly.  :-[

If we were talking about a world Xl, I'd personally pick Terry, Cole and Lampard without much hesitation and Rooney would certainly make the bench.

Is this in your 'Fantasy XI' or your 'World XI' or both? Still not sure of who we're picking here or why tbh.  ???

Are they not the same thing?  ???

When I said 'world Xl' I meant (just about) any existing team in the world, mate. Perhaps I should have just said that.

For a 'fantasy Xl' - ie the best team I could dream up, i'd go with this:

Julio Cesar

Maicon  Lucio  Terry  Cole

Xavi  Essien  Lampard

Ronaldo  Drogba  Messi

Hope this eliminates confusion.

Lampard in a world XI?  :iamatwat:

you can name all the individuals you want but if they don't make a team then it doesn't matter. Tactics don't suddenly become meaningless when you move to international football - if anything, because of the collective strengths and flaws players from one nation will exhibit, they become even more important. you can't just sign the player you need to plug the gap or improve a side's collective weakness, you have to make do with what's available. England trying to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same side is as stupid as Brazil playing both Maicon and Dani Alvez at right-back, there's only room for one and you have to make the decision. If you do play both then there's got to be an innovative tactical solution rather than sticking with the orthodox or traditional ie thinking back to our discussions about which two from Martins, Owen and Viduka to pick for the side - Keegan had to do something completely different to achieve the best result.

When I said 'world Xl' I meant (just about) any existing team in the world, mate. Perhaps I should have just said that.

For a 'fantasy Xl' - ie the best team I could dream up, i'd go with this:

Julio Cesar

Maicon   Lucio   Terry   Cole

Xavi   Essien   Lampard

Ronaldo   Drogba   Messi

Hope this eliminates confusion.

funnily enough i'd choose similar, except Iniesta for Lampard. I wouldn't want Terry in there either, but i'm not so sure about other centre-half candidates after Lucio - there's not really a stand out since Ferdinand decided to become shit. You've also got to wonder about Essien too, he's had two injury blighted seasons in a row and his career as a world class midfielder is in danger is fizzling out.

Lampard would not get in a 3 man midfield.  :facepalm: He's useless in a four for Engalnd and Messi and Ronaldo would hardly trek back.

Lampard would not get in a 3 man midfield.  :facepalm: He's useless in a four for Engalnd and Messi and Ronaldo would hardly trek back.

He said Fantasy XI 'the best team I could dream up'. No-one cares about tactics here.

Casillas

Maicon -- Lucio -- Chiellini -- Lahm

Xavi -- Essien -- Iniesta

Villa -- Drogba -- Messi

Lampard would be nowhere near my Fantasy XI. I remember having an argument on here before world cup 2006 with someone (who shall remain nameless) who told me quite insistently that Gerrard and Lampard were far better footballers than Xavi. 

:facepalm:

Lampard in a world XI?  :iamatwat:

you can name all the individuals you want but if they don't make a team then it doesn't matter. Tactics don't suddenly become meaningless when you move to international football - if anything, because of the collective strengths and flaws players from one nation will exhibit, they become even more important. you can't just sign the player you need to plug the gap or improve a side's collective weakness, you have to make do with what's available. England trying to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into the same side is as stupid as Brazil playing both Maicon and Dani Alvez at right-back, there's only room for one and you have to make the decision. If you do play both then there's got to be an innovative tactical solution rather than sticking with the orthodox or traditional ie thinking back to our discussions about which two from Martins, Owen and Viduka to pick for the side - Keegan had to do something completely different to achieve the best result.

Haven't you just concisely summed up England's problems there?  Cappello is not picking a team to of players that complement each other thus far, he's basically just best the "best players".

Better off dropping 2/3 of the "names" and replacing them with people who can contribute overall.  I'd have Lampard out of that team in a heartbeat, he's never gonna perform in a WC to the level he needs to.  And before people start if not him then ship Gerrard out and play to Lampard's strengths and so on.

Which ever one it is the above remains the key.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750672.stm

The Football Association anticipates England coach Fabio Capello will resign if his team make their World Cup exit on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

The FA is refusing to publicly discuss the possibility of the team's elimination at the group stage.

But, privately, senior figures admit they are considering their next move if England crash out against Slovenia.

This is a remarkable turn of events given the FA renegotiated Capello's four-year contract only on 2 June.

The FA removed a break clause from the Italian's four-year deal that would have allowed it to avoid paying him hefty compensation in the event it wanted to sack him.

:facepalm: