World on alert Germans marching again!

Parky

Never even noticed that. :lol:

I was going more on the content of the thread. That said, I'm glad that's the case. Initially, before stumbling upon this thread, I did assume Newcastle fans would be more likely to have their feet on the ground. Going by the coverage of ITV, at least, you'd think it was a dead cert we were through and as we know, many people have their opinions decided for them by the mainstream. Listening to the radio earlier, the general consensus was we should be winning this.

The general England hype and over-inflated confidence is very, very off-putting. Maybe I notice it more this side of the border, but the coverage and constant referrals to '66 are fucking embarrassing. The assumption we have a right to be winning the WC is misguided and pathetic. You earn your right to that status, and we've far from begun to earn anything.

Never even noticed that. :lol:

I was going more on the content of the thread.  That said, I'm glad that's the case.  Initially, before stumbling upon this thread, I did assume Newcastle fans would be more likely to have their feet on the ground.  Going by the coverage of ITV, at least, you'd think it was a dead cert we were through.  Listening to the radio earlier, the general consensus was we should be winning this. 

The general England hype, and over-inflated confidence is very, very off-putting.  Maybe I notice it more this side of the border, but the coverage and constant referrals to '66 are fucking embarrassing.  The assumption we have a right to be winning the WC is misguided and pathetic.  You earn your right to that status, and we've far from begun to earn anything.

I think most people who know football will totally agree with you there. It's when you talk to the spastics out there (Sun readers, most of the population) who believe all of that shite.

Guest Heneage

Tooj's post coincides with a shit joke Jack Whitehall just cracked on James Corden's live show. Just really isn't funny to mention the war.

People have faith. So what?

It's not the faith that's the problem - it's more the same old tired clichés that get brought up about either '66 or the War.

Over here (Germany) they're also still going on about '66 and the "cheating third goal".

They don't talk about the war much, though.

Argh.

Faith and bullshit are different.

I know, but you're tarring them with the same brush.

Aye there are people out there that read the Sun shit and think it's our divine right to win the World Cup and that we'll definitely thrash Germany 8-0 but there are also people out there, like me, who believe that we're not completely out of it and that if things go our way, we are good enough to nick it. Different things.

Guest Heneage

I think if anyone is going to suffer from arrogance it's Germany. BeckenBauer is obnoxious arrogant and quite a fool.

I find it most amusing how he says that the Bundesliga used to suffer from 'too many foreigners' 5-10 years ago. Yet you look at some of their stars, and see that a lot of them are foreigners. If Parky got his way and every country was fenced in, they'd lose Ozil & Tasci (Turkey) Boateng (Ghana) Klose, Podolski, and Trochowski (Poland) Gomez (Spain) Cacau (Brazilian) Aogo (Nigeria) Marin (Bosnia) Khadira (Tunisia)

I think if anyone is going to suffer from arrogance it's Germany. BeckenBauer is obnoxious arrogant and quite a fool.

I find it most amusing how he says that the Bundesliga used to suffer from 'too many foreigners' 5-10 years ago. Yet you look at some of their stars, and see that a lot of them are foreigners. If Parky got his way and every country was fenced in, they'd lose Ozil & Tasci (Turkey) Boateng (Ghana) Klose, Podolski, and Trochowski (Poland) Gomez (Spain) Cacau (Brazilian) Aogo (Nigeria) Marin (Bosnia) Khadira (Tunisia)

The arrogance I've had to endure today on two seperate ocassions is mind boggling....They really think it's just a matter of turning up. If only once in my lifetime in a world cup game, let us win on Sunday.

Got them running scared... :shifty:

Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer has issued an apology after his recent criticisms of England's World Cup campaign.

Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup as a player and manager, had claimed England were "stupid" to set up a World Cup last-16 clash with his home nation on Sunday.

And the man nicknamed 'Der Kaiser' during his playing days suggested Fabio Capello's players are "burnt out" following a gruelling Premier League season.

He had earlier accused the Three Lions of 'going backwards' under the Italian and adopting a 'kick and rush' approach to the game by playing too many long balls.

But Beckenbauer has backtracked with the two nations due to go head-to-head for a place in the quarter-finals in Bloemfontein on Sunday afternoon.

Bad mood

He said: "Before the World Cup I thought England would play a major role in the tournament, maybe win the title.

"They have a great team and a great coach and then after the first two games I was so disappointed - not angry, but very, very disappointed.

"Maybe this (attack on England) was the reaction of my disappointment, but I apologise."

Beckenbauer continued: "Because I like England and English football I am really a big, big fan of the English style. Maybe it was a reaction because I was disappointed, maybe I was in a bad mood.

"In other words I apologised already and now I look forward to the game on Sunday. I think it will be a very, very interesting game."

I think England will win, if and it is a big if, they really attack Germany. Crouch and Defoe up front, Rooney in behind. result  3-0 win.

My Team

James

Johnson, Terry, Upson, Cole

Barry

Gerrard, Rooney, J.Cole

Crouch, Defoe

Guest Heneage

The arrogance I've had to endure today on two seperate ocassions is mind boggling....They really think it's just a matter of turning up. If only once in my lifetime in a world cup game, let us win on Sunday.

I think it's because Bayern were in the Champions League final too. What they ignore is that the fantastic Bayern Munich are hardly filled with Germans, of the normal starting eleven there is maybe 3-4 Germans, and their best players are Ribery and Robben, Franz seems to ignore that neither is German.

Their captain is even Dutch!?

Really it stretches quite far along Germany, when Bremen were in the UEFA Cup final, it was Diego and Naldo, Brazilians who were the best players.

Then there's Podolski, who was touted as a fantastic talent, scored nigh a goal every 2 games in Koln, moved up and was found out, now back at Koln and having scored like 2 goals in just under 30 games, he looks a shadow of the player he was, and they now have so many better options but refuse to admit it.

I think Ozil is a fantastic talent, but he's not really been tested yet.

I'm not saying England have it sewn up, far from it, but by the same right, Germany are far from through.

Guest BooBoo

If we go out, I just hope it's with a bang because we've been one of the poorest sides to watch in the group stage.

If we go out, I just hope it's with a bang because we've been one of the poorest sides to watch in the group stage.

In previous years, we'd be honouerd to be in the same area as France and Italy ;)

People have faith. So what?

It's not the faith that's the problem - it's more the same old tired clichés that get brought up about either '66 or the War.

2 World Wars and 1 World Cup, doodah, doodah!!!

The vast amounts here, and all the coverage I've seen.  You really trying to say most people reckon we're the underdogs and will probably be put out? 

FWIW we're the bookies favourites - very marginally like, but still.

The vast amounts here, and all the coverage I've seen.  You really trying to say most people reckon we're the underdogs and will probably be put out? 

more a financial position than a judgement one i guess. i wonder if german domestic bookies have us as favourites (if there are german domestic bookies) ?

more a financial position than a judgement one i guess. i wonder if german domestic bookies have us as favourites (if there are german domestic bookies) ?

You're right. Oddset (the only german bookmaker) has Germany as favourites to win this.