World on alert Germans marching again!

Parky

Last months FourFourTwo had an interesting article on the German mentality. The title was "Q. Why will Germany do well at the World Cup Finals? A. Because they always do". It says that it doesn't really matter how much ability German players have, but they've got an unshakable winning mentality thats been drilled into them all their lives. Thats why they overachieve time and time again - they've been brought up as Turniermannschaft (a tournament team). The U21 and U17 winning sides of late have epitomised this.

Still think England will win though  :pow:

The main things they have are very good organisation, pitch intelligence and positional awareness and they always seem to be fitter and fresher than us. It will take 2 goals if we do it. I never know untill I wake up on the morning of the game if I think we can win. Atm think we are going to pay the price for the first two pathetic performances and especially for Rooney's mental breakdown at this tournament.

Think we'd do well to consider not starting Rooney.  I know that'll not go down well, but he just seems done, to be honest.  Bring him on, all fired up, because, let's be fair, our bench is very uninspiring or frightening. 

We could do with some kind of numpty ref with a secret hatred of the Germans.

you mean a pole,

or a czech,a russian, an israeli, a frenchman,a belgian, a dutchman,a ukranian,a belorussian,a dane or a slovak ?

We could do with some kind of numpty ref with a secret hatred of the Germans.

you mean a pole,

or a czech,a russian, an israeli, a frenchman,a belgian, a dutchman,a ukranian,a belorussian,a dane or a slovak ?

All of which could have a healthy dislike for the English.. :hmm:

I'd rather lose to the Germans than that cheating little Argie twat. Can you imagine the posturing if the Argies beat us. I can see us beating the Germans and losing to Messi - I can't stand the thought of Maradona celebrating.

Shit; I'd rather lose to Scotland than that drugged up, cheating, lying, self righteous dwarf. Come on the Germans.

Capello should be a good enough manager to know how to stop Messi. Even Rehagel with his bloody bad team could stop Messi. Inter kept him quiet for 2 x 90 mins as well. Messi shouldn't be the problem.

And if he isn't the problem anymore, there won't be any problem left.

... Apart from Higuain, Di Maria, Tevez, Aguero, Milito and the rest of the potential match-winners in their squad... But if THEY aren't a problem anymore, we're laughing.

And Jonas. of course!!!

Although Ashley Cole will have a field day against him, which would be bittersweet.

I seem to remember in the last world cup the finalists - Italy and France - had an underwhelming start but grew as the tournament went on. Other teams like Spain flew out of the traps playing amazing football but bowed out at the first sign of a big team.

Had England dominated the group, the weight of expectation would be massive now. It will be a very physical game but I think we'll see a different England - the stakes are much higher and the opposition far stronger.

Perhaps the timing is good for us. There was an air of complacency in the first two group games, and while Slovenia was hardly a vintage performance, Capello seems to have some idea of his best XI now. A performance and the right result against Germany would announce our arrival at this world cup at a crucial stage. This may have been a better draw than Ghana, I think we have needed a fixture to get the pulses racing.

I seem to remember in the last world cup the finalists - Italy and France - had an underwhelming start but grew as the tournament went on. Other teams like Spain flew out of the traps playing amazing football but bowed out at the first sign of a big team.

Had England dominated the group, the weight of expectation would be massive now. It will be a very physical game but I think we'll see a different England - the stakes are much higher and the opposition far stronger.

Perhaps the timing is good for us. There was an air of complacency in the first two group games, and while Slovenia was hardly a vintage performance, Capello seems to have some idea of his best XI now. A performance and the right result against Germany would announce our arrival at this world cup at a crucial stage. This may have been a better draw than Ghana, I think we have needed a fixture to get the pulses racing.

Been thinking much the same thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1289329/WORLD-CUP-2010-Frank-Lampard-lead-fateful-picked-end-spot-jinx.html

England's 5 penalty takers:

Frank Lampard

Steven Gerrard

Wayne Rooney

James Milner

Gareth Barry

....doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence tbh. Neither do the rest (Terry, A Cole, Defoe, Johnson etc)

Reckon it would be Gerrard to miss out of that lot.

Some reports are suggesting that there is a small chance that King would be fit for the game. For me he is much better than either Carragher or Upson. Would you take the risk of playing King, stick with Upson (who I was not convinced with) or reinstate Carragher?

staggering how we went from seemingly having a massive amount of quality in every position (barring the cliched LW problem) to having virtually no CB's, & FW's worthy of the name isn't it?

thankfully we've got plenty of pedestrian midfielders who don't perform very well (sounds like NUFC actually)

Some reports are suggesting that there is a small chance that King would be fit for the game. For me he is much better than either Carragher or Upson. Would you take the risk of playing King, stick with Upson (who I was not convinced with) or reinstate Carragher?

Against the German team, Upson should suffice. There might be a lack of pace in the middle if he's alongside Terry, but not sure the Germans have anyone pacey who would be a threat. Cacau has looked dogshit.

Against the German team, Upson should suffice. There might be a lack of pace in the middle if he's alongside Terry, but not sure the Germans have anyone pacey who would be a threat. Cacau has looked dogshit.

That Ozil guy is not fast? serious question