The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest bimpy474

Nobody said it was "irrelevant". All I said was that when you're outside the league positions that mean something (winning, Euro qualification, relegation zone), a few places one way or the other don't mean that much. Not as much as an actual trophy, at any rate.

And no, it hasn't been a "disaster". Relegation or bankruptcy would be a disaster. If all the half-decent players in the squad put in transfer requests, it would be a disaster. It's just been shitty. FA Cup win would make it less shitty.

With the amount of money you spent, its been a disaster that you are going to possibly finish in the bottom half, 8th is about as high as you could get now, if you think that kind of league position and from that kind of spending is anything but a disaster then you are kidding yourself.

Yes you won a trophy, and could win another tomorrow but that only mask a deeper problem, KKK and the squad he has put together isn't good enough, and the main problem is that you have the most average midfield i've ever seen in a Liverpool side EVER, Gerrard on form aside.

I think the real disaster may rear its face when they realize they will have to spend even more money to correct the mistakes of last summer. It's not just the case of being unlucky. Yes they have been unlucky on a few occasions this season, but not on as many as they would like to claim/think. Their squad isn't poor in terms of size, but it is very poor by their standards in terms of quality. Out of last summer's purchases, maybe only Henderson has a real chance of making a dramatic improvement (putting a side that he's been utter rubbish this season and a mackem). Carroll might have more of an impact next season, but nowhere near to justify his price tag. Plus, he's been the summary of how and why everything went wrong for them this season.

IMO their real problem is their manager. I really cannot stand the man, but even if I were to be objective, he's dropped quite a few clangers since he's been in charge. His arrogant demeanor on the touchline and in the press makes a mockery of what is a legendary football club. He looks like a dementia patient in desperate need of a bath. He's also a bit shit at this management lark. Taking Carroll off at St James', at the time that he did, and considering the scoreline at the time and the fact that he was at least trying, has got to be the poorest decision I have ever come across from a manager, anywhere. It confirmed that he really is way out of his depth.

What could have been of their season had Suarez not been banned for 10 odd games? As SBR always said, "if" is a big word in football. At the end of the day, as outrageously talented and brilliant a footballer he is, he is an odious detestable cheating snake in equal measure. From a personal point of view, I do want to see him chased out of this league. The racism issue is a grey area, and no one really knows what really happened. But I do believe in karma, and I believe the twat got exactly what he deserved for all the intentional cheating that he works so hard on during every single game he plays.

With FFP around the corner, this may only be the beginning of a bitter and twisted time for LFC. Their problems are several fold, and the solutions are far from simple. Someone needs to have the guts to call Dalglish out for the impostor that he is, throw him out on his arse, and make a VERY shrewd choice for the manager that will succeed him. If I were FSG I may be tempted by the availability of Capello, provided that he still had the hunger. In addition to that, they need to recoup as much money from selling Suarez as they could.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what happens to them as a club to be honest, as I have grown to hate them season on season since the first 4-3. Should they actually buck up their ideas and start acting like a professional football club, and should their fans tone down their unjustified arrogance and general cuntishness, I could learn to respect them once again for the big club they once were.

Brilliantly put mate, better than i could. Its the KKK is the right man stuff that warms me up no end, they just cant see he is going to be a problem, not just the fact that he isn't a good manager, i have never rated him as a manager, imo.

Him and his lack of grace, manners and constant moaning will be a joy to watch next season.

Surely the score 7-3 is misleading and doesn't truly reflect the ebb and flow of the season.

Liverpool have hit the woodwork a half dozen times (at least) and several of Parky's goals were blatantly offside. Also, Manc refs.

I would swap a tropy for our league positions tbh. Not squad, scouts or managers though.

If the choice were between fifth and the League Cup, I'd take the cup. If it were fourth place, I'd take fourth. Not year after year, but in any given season.

Qualifying for the CL gives you the cash and pulling power to push forward. On the other hand, it's a much bigger distraction from the league than other competitions.

Guest neesy111

FA Cup maybe but not a League Cup

Rubbish.  I'd take the league cup any day.  Remember the last time we won a major domestic trophy?

Guest PhilB

Winning a trophy would be splendid but to suggest league position is irrelevant is nonsense.

Liverpool tout themselves as title contenders each season...and this season was no different.

It's been a disaster for them and no cup trophy will change that.

If we were in flipped positions...we'd be over the moon. Of course we would. But we've never claimed to be title contenders and 7th or 8th would have been a good season for us.

We've grown up to believe that Liverpool exists to win trophies.  On that score we've been none too shabby at all, so our league finish though disappointing, is never a disaster in a million years.  I've seen us finish 8th before.  If we're good enough to win the FA Cup tomorrow, making it a cup double winning season, I don't know anyone who won't be over the moon.  Considering 18 months ago the club was on the edge of administration, had had to let go some of it's best players, and got rid of a brilliant manager, I think we've come a long way in a short time.  Of course a lot of the credit goes to Rafa for keeping us still fighting on all fronts while being hampered by the chaos that was going on behind the scenes. 

On our squad, and money spent, I think we're only 3 or so players away from challenging top 4, and I'm more than happy to see Kenny in charge to give it a go next season.  Our football has been very pleasing, our finishing appalling, but 3 new players  in, Carroll out on loan, Sterling, Suso and Robinson brought through, and I think we'll be strong next season. 

The net spend on players last summer was quite small, and other than Carroll and maybe Downing, I have no problem with them.  Adam is what he is, and was only going to be a squad player, pricewise, anyway, but Lucas and Gerrard getting injured early on gave him a bigger role than he would have played.  Henderson has a lot going for him, he just needs to gain confidence in his own ability, which will come I'm certain.  Bellamy, Suarez, Enrique and Coates have all worked out fine.  Fortunately I'm old school and am prepared to wait and see the team built, I'm not of the microwave generation (ding, ding, here's your title) and I've seen Kenny build before, hopefully he'll build as well again.

Guest bimpy474

Only made it to the end of the first sentence.

It typified the exact reason why I dislike them so much

Oh definitely feckin aye  :snod:

FA Cup maybe but not a League Cup

Rubbish.  I'd take the league cup any day.  Remember the last time we won a major domestic trophy?

Yeah, the League Cup with such illustrious past winners like Birmingham, Middlesbrough and the reserve teams of the big four. I'd much rather our team was playing well consistently. Any other trophy though, I'd take.

At this point it's worth remembering that both Dalglish and Souness both came close to winning trophies with Newcastle with squads left behind with their predecessors. So Dalglish winning a domestic cup can't really gloss over the fact that Liverpool are so far behind us in the league despite spending fortunes on players fees and wages in the last few years.

Winning a trophy would be splendid but to suggest league position is irrelevant is nonsense.

Liverpool tout themselves as title contenders each season...and this season was no different.

If we were in flipped positions...we'd be over the moon. Of course we would. But we've never claimed to be title contenders and 7th or 8th would have been a good season for us.

We've grown up to believe that Liverpool exists to win trophies.  On that score we've been none too shabby at all, so our league finish though disappointing, is never a disaster in a million years.  I've seen us finish 8th before.

My god, that must have been horrific.

Guest PhilB

At this point it's worth remembering that both Dalglish and Souness both came close to winning trophies with Newcastle with squads left behind with their predecessors. So Dalglish winning a domestic cup can't really gloss over the fact that Liverpool are so far behind us in the league despite spending fortunes on players fees and wages in the last few years.

Dalglish also built his own teams that won titles and trophies at clubs other than yours. 

Our net spend over the last 4 years, according to The Swiss Ramble, is 22 million.  You have bought some great players who were bargains, and have done magnificently in the league,  but us being behind you, however far away or near is neither here nor there.  We're in Europe, have a trophy in the bag, and in the final of another, that's enough gloss for me.

The telling point for both teams, imo, is next season.  Europe can take it's toll, and other teams know better what to expect from your team. 

Guest PhilB

We've grown up to believe that Liverpool exists to win trophies.  On that score we've been none too shabby at all, so our league finish though disappointing, is never a disaster in a million years.  I've seen us finish 8th before.

My god, that must have been horrific.

It was traumatic.  ;)

Dalglish also built his own teams that won titles and trophies at clubs other than yours. 

Our net spend over the last 4 years, according to The Swiss Ramble, is 22 million.  You have bought some great players who were bargains, and have done magnificently in the league,  but us being behind you, however far away or near is neither here nor there.  We're in Europe, have a trophy in the bag, and in the final of another, that's enough gloss for me.

The telling point for both teams, imo, is next season.  Europe can take it's toll, and other teams know better what to expect from your team. 

:lol:

Worse than a fucking mackem, man.

"This season doesn't count anyway"  "16 points ahead of us, that's neither here nor there"  "We're joint 8th with Fulham, but it only cost us £22m over 4 years to get there" "5 home wins all season, who cares?  We fluked the Carling Cup on penalties against a Championship team.  YNWA" 

It's a sad day for football when you're hoping Chelsea FC win the FA Cup, but that's what every neutral in the world will be hoping for.  That's how much everyone hates your bunch of racist, self pitying wall pushers.

The telling point for both teams, imo, is next season

Aaaaaaand without further ado it gets trawled out. Classic LFC patent along with "we play pass and move football" and that sad bastard nauseating song. Next season eh? isnt that what you lot have been saying since 1989 or some shit?

Why you can't tell it as it is, and admit that it's been a hugely disappointing season is beyond me. I really hope Dalglish stays if you think you've done alright. Really really hope he stays. Made for each other.

Guest PhilB

:lol:

Worse than a f***ing mackem, man.

"This season doesn't count anyway"  "16 points ahead of us, that's neither here nor there"  "We're joint 8th with Fulham, but it only cost us £22m over 4 years to get there" "5 home wins all season, who cares?  We fluked the Carling Cup on penalties against a Championship team.  YNWA" 

It's a sad day for football when you're hoping Chelsea FC win the FA Cup, but that's what every neutral in the world will be hoping for.  That's how much everyone hates your bunch of racist, self pitying wall pushers.

It's always a sad day when people resort to school-yard name calling instead of making decent points.  We played all of our Carling Cup games away from home beating Stoke, Chelsea, and Man City on the way, and  I feel your hate, that too is neither here nor there.  Would well settle for a fluke win today.

For Liverpool not getting a CL spot is far greater than any cup they can win, it shows they no longer can be classed as one of the big four, ATM not even 5th best, what they are is an ordinary or average premier league team with no chance of catching up to past glories, and that hurts them.

Were showing progress, Liverpool have shown they can beat a championship club on penalties. Well done.

The whole "teams will know how to deal with you next year", is utter bollocks. If we have a poorer year next year it will have nothing to do with other clubs gaining more knowledge about us.

Never understood that concept. Us needing a bigger squad for europe is valid though.

Wacko, phil b, would either of you swap squads?

The whole "teams will know how to deal with you next year", is utter bollocks. If we have a poorer year next year it will have nothing to do with other clubs gaining more knowledge about us.

Never understood that concept. Us needing a bigger squad for europe is valid though.

Wacko, phil b, would either of you swap squads?

If we can have the cash difference in what we paid for our respective squads, too, I'll pull the team bus to Anfield myself.