The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I've always kind of respected the draft pick concept.

Worst team gets the best draft? Then what is the point to even try to win games once you're safe?

That's a big issue here in the Australian Football League (not real football, it's a provincial game kind of like Gaelic football played with a rugby ball)

Essentially, draft picks happen in order of last to first - and in the latter stages of every season there is debate about teams running dead or "tanking" games in order to come last and get better draft picks. The problem is exacerbated by "bonus draft picks", if your team wins less than five games out of 22, you get the first two draft picks. It's wide open to a corruption that is nodded and winked at...

Interestingly, the Australian Rugby League tried to introduce a draft back in the late 80's - the first guy drafted to a club he didn't want to play for took the ARL to court and won. The ARL draft was scrapped - it's a system that only works with the goodwill of players and clubs. Which is why it wouldn't work in European football. Can you imagine a young starlet being told he had to play for a shite club? Like fuck!

But I've diverged from the thread. Fuck Liverpool! Fuck Gerrard and Carragher, fuck Hicks and Gillette, fuck Broughton and NESV

Guest sittingontheball

US sports teams typically get the taxpayer to pay for their stadium and threaten to take the franchise elsewhere if the town won't cough up. It's how George W Bush made his money. He was an apparent disaster as an oil man.

I like US sports, American Football in particular, but all the (USA) flag waving and "we support the troops" they do is seriously frightening. Do the Yankees still play the National Anthem AND God Bless America at every game?

I like US sports, American Football in particular, but all the (USA) flag waving and "we support the troops" they do is seriously frightening. Does every sporting contest begin with the National Anthem AND do the Yankees and Dodgers play God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch at every game?

Yes.

Most teams play God Bless America on Sunday's and significant days throughout the season.

Gimp is a fan of this idea, not too sure meself.

I'm a big fan of it, it cycles the talent around all teams.  In  NHL there is nothing stopping the so called bigger clubs trading a few mid aged or maybe a top expereinced pro for a lesser clubs draft picks.  Especially since the clubs all know at somepoint who will be the best 10 new rookies.

Its cycles the league and spreads the talent.

It wont work in the prem until the dickheads agree salary caps n squad size limits.

Worst team gets the best draft? Then what is the point to even try to win games once you're safe?

But I've diverged from the thread. Fuck Liverpool! Fuck Gerrard and Carragher, fuck Hicks and Gillette, fuck Broughton and NESV

FYP.

You could actually make it a closed league....if you include the championship.

Closed league would go against everything football represents in England.

Yes i know, I'm just saying thats all.

Calm down Parky calm down.

:razz:

Liverpool and as we were would not be in this mess if a regulated salary cap was in place.

Liverpool and as we were would not be in this mess if a regulated salary cap was in place.

Wage bill adjusted to a ratio of the turnover would be a better idea. ie 50% of turnover or somesuch.

Wage bill adjusted to a ratio of the turnover would be a better idea. ie 50% of turnover or somesuch.

Hmmm, i dunno.  Needs to be a level playing field for every team.  Its then up to the club/ team if they want to max the cap out.

Hmmm, i dunno.  Needs to be a level playing field for every team.  Its then up to the club/ team if they want to max the cap out.

ah- it needs to advantage clubs whos fans support them

It will encourage clubs to increase turnover. I'm not a believer in a level playing field. I'd rather see incentives to grow etc. Turnover would exclude loans btw from banks or owners etc. So our turnover is say 100m - the wage bill should be 50m a year and so on. Bigger clubs will be able to afford more wages and it will be an inventive for smaller clubs to grow.

Need to cap the number of players on a payroll as well

You can only register 25 now.

It will encourage clubs to increase turnover. I'm not a believer in a level playing field. I'd rather see incentives to grow etc. Turnover would exclude loans btw from banks or owners etc. So our turnover is say 100m - the wage bill should be 50m a year and so on. Bigger clubs will be able to afford more wages and it will be an inventive for smaller clubs to grow.

I think we mean the same thing.  ;D

:pow:

:pow:

We just want the same things....... :aww:

You can only register 25 now.

But can pay as many as you want - see Bellamy, Craig for a perfect example.

FYP.

Cheeky bugger - clipping my post and then carrying on with the tangential discussion afterwards ;)