Assou-Ekotto

Gareth Bale

Younes Kaboul (the first time)

Aaron Lennon

Luka Modric

Dimitar Berbatov

KP Boateng

Thierry Henry

He was limited to British players at L'pool and that pretty much was his downfall. Even with the bad signings at Spurs, if you sell all the players he helped bring in there would be a massive profit. Modric & Bale alone would produce a 35m profit easily.

erm......

Yup.

Alan Hutton for 9m.

Assou-Ekotto

Gareth Bale

Aaron Lennon

Luka Modric

Dimitar Berbatov

KP Boateng

Thierry Henry

He was limited to British players at L'pool and that pretty much was his downfall. Even with the bad signings at Spurs, if you sell all the players he helped bring in there would be a massive profit. Modric & Bale alone would produce a 35m profit easily.

Every single one of those signings was obvious, in that they were all pretty big names prior to signing.

Yup.

Alan Hutton for 9m.

Assou-Ekotto

Gareth Bale

Aaron Lennon

Luka Modric

Dimitar Berbatov

KP Boateng

Thierry Henry

erm......

Read he had a hand in signing Henry, Pires and another member of the invincibles I can't remember the name of whilst he was at Arsenal.

Guest neesy111

Spurs reaped the rewards of what he signed after he left, mind I can't see much of what he bought at Liverpool developing much more.

Never liked the DoF role.

Guest neesy111

Gareth Bale seems to be his only big money British success. But in general he's a good chief scout. He's shown he can bring success. He's not the root of the problem at Liverpool... we all know who it is down too.

Well the Liverpool policy seemed to be, buy british at all costs which we all know will usually means expensive, overpaid flops.  Only Fergie is usually spot on with English buys.

Guest Phil K

Gareth Bale seems to be his only big money British success. But in general he's a good chief scout. He's shown he can bring success. He's not the root of the problem at Liverpool... we all know who it is down too.

So do most Liverpool fans. And many are starting to turn on him

Spurs reaped the rewards of what he signed after he left, mind I can't see much of what he bought at Liverpool developing much more.

Never liked the DoF role.

Did he hire the managers? If he had no role on that side of things and was just tasked to bring in talented youngsters he did a good job. The Spurs signings I named are all immensely talented and it is the detriment of the managers at the club that they never fully utilised their skills.

I don't think the majority of the L'pool lads are up to much kop (see what I did there) anyway. Although Downing isn't as bad as he's shown. But I genuinely think a certain Scot had a huge influence on what type of players could be signed. And there are a limited pool of British players, all of whom come at a premium. Comolli is far better at bringing in the Suarez type of player (good reputation built abroad).

If Carr had to look for mostly British lads, we'd be struggling too.

Yup.

Alan Hutton for 9m.

Assou-Ekotto

Gareth Bale

Aaron Lennon

Luka Modric

Dimitar Berbatov

KP Boateng

Thierry Henry

He didn't have any problem overspending on British players at Spurs either. Bent, Bentley and Hutton cost over 40m.

Modric and Berbatov cost 12m+. Bale was so under the radar he cost just 10m at 17.

Chimbonda, Gilberto, Gunter, Dos Santos, Rocha. His record isn't good considering his job is recruitment. Managers get just as many right.

He seems to buy players on a whim rather than through good scouting too. Modric after his performances against England. Pavlyuchenko after the Euros. Rocha after a good performance against Man U. Hutton after a purple patch. Carroll after a purple patch. Ramos riding the Sevilla wave.

People in the Spanish telly were saying yesterday that Dalglish passed on Mata in favor of Downing. Is that true?

Run it by people on RTG, if they say it enough it will become true.

Yup.

Alan Hutton for 9m.

Assou-Ekotto

Gareth Bale

Aaron Lennon

Luka Modric

Dimitar Berbatov

KP Boateng

Thierry Henry

Every single one of those signings was obvious, in that they were all pretty big names prior to signing.

Santon, Cabaye, HBA, Ba, Marveaux & Cisse likewise but we still applaud what Carr has brought us. Even Colo. Most great players have good reputations before they make it big time and could be seen as obvious signings. If Diouf became a world beater he'd be seen as an obvious signing, same with Carroll tbf.

A good signing is a good signing. Regardless of reputation.

Guest BooBoo

This is worthy of another point to Parky tbh

How about we just have the discussion without the point scoring nonsense?

Guest Chubby Jason

This is worthy of another point to Parky tbh

How about we just have the discussion without the point scoring nonsense?

aye

Yup.

Alan Hutton for 9m.

Assou-Ekotto

Gareth Bale

Aaron Lennon

Luka Modric

Dimitar Berbatov

KP Boateng

Thierry Henry

He didn't have any problem overspending on British players at Spurs either. Bent, Bentley and Hutton cost over 40m.

Modric and Berbatov cost 12m+. Bale was so under the radar he cost just 10m at 17.

Chimbonda, Gilberto, Gunter, Dos Santos, Rocha. His record isn't good considering his job is recruitment. Managers get just as many right.

He seems to buy players on a whim rather than through good scouting too. Modric after his performances against England. Pavlyuchenko after the Euros. Rocha after a good performance against Man U. Hutton after a purple patch. Carroll after a purple patch. Ramos riding the Sevilla wave.

Sell all the players Comolli signed at Spurs and you have a massive profit. That's the sign of a good job. I already said his biggest flops came from British players and that's what Kenny wanted him to bring in so it was never going to work looking at his record.

Newcastle United fans know all about spending £10m+ for poor players. A player that produces on the pitch is a good signing regardless of fee. A player who comes with a big fee and that leaves for double is a great signing.

Name me 3 players in Newcastle history, that we signed from another club and was sold or could have realistically sold for 3 times the fee or a £15m profit each? Name me Premiership managers that have done the same thing. SAF, Wenger and perhaps O'Neill who crippled that club anyway. Managers do not get just as many right.

I seem to remember him having a massive chip on his shoulder with the press in his full season with us, when we finished 13th.

We went from being everyones second team to being depised, I put it down to Dogliesh and his way with the media and people.

Always been an embarrassment calling press conferences in a pub off London Road while at Celtic

My guess would be Comolli foresee that the price for British prospects would only go further up once the local player rule comes to effect for Europe matches, and thus he decide to take a heavy gamble on those young prospects now, hoping that some of team could reach Gerrard's class and become priceless asset.

Backfired because this generation of youngsters are just too shit.  Fergie snapped up the best one (Phil Jones) and the others are just nothing but hype.

My guess would be Comolli foresee that the price for British prospects would only go further up once the local player rule comes to effect for Europe matches, and thus he decide to take a heavy gamble on those young prospects now, hoping that some of team could reach Gerrard's class and become priceless asset.

Backfired because this generation of youngsters are just too s***.  Fergie snapped up the best one (Phil Jones) and the others are just nothing but hype.

Phil Jones would struggle in this L'pool side. Even Chamberlain wouldn't have been so great in this side, too much pressure.

I like how others have taken the fall for Dalglish's incompetence. Nice mentality that, "it can't be the King's fault, it just can't!" 9 times out of 10, the problem simply rests with the manager!