The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Going to enjoy today's game against Sam's Blackburn, one of those games that I would be happy to see either team lose, only wish they could both lose at the same time, one for being shite and the other for having a shite manager  :lol:

"If Ferguson is looking around and has lots of money, he might want Pepe Reina because he is the best around," Hodgson told the Liverpool Echo.

"But we do not want to sell him. He is a lifeblood of this team."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9135335.stm

:lol: Just inviting speculation on it now Roy.

:lol: Why would you even say that? I'm very much thinking that Roy is officially going insane.

"If Ferguson is looking around and has lots of money, he might want Pepe Reina because he is the best around," Hodgson told the Liverpool Echo.

:lol: Why would you even say that? I'm very much thinking that Roy is officially going insane.

He's a double agent. He has to be. It's the only possible explanation.

one of the theorys ive heard around is reina and torres have buyout clauses in their new contracts

one of the theorys ive heard around is reina and torres have buyout clauses in their new contracts

That doesn't explain everything else. He's a plant sent to destroy us :(

That doesn't explain everything else. He's a plant sent to destroy us :(

Everything else can be explained by the diabolical amount of good luck Liverpool have had in the past. Karma & that. :thup:

I'd like to think that was just him hyping up his own player but I fear hope it's another example of Roy completely losing his nut.

I'd like to think that was just him hyping up his own player but I fear it's another example of Roy completely losing his nut.

trying to sell the crap from the lafa days and confusing the good ones from the majority of the shit ones

Man, for some reason I just love how offhandedly he throws many exact figures "85% were recurring injuries, 40% were picked in international duty/we left the squad with 300m in value". Wonder if he just makes them up as he goes along, but knowing him he probably has spreadsheets for all of this (the 10m net spend looks a bit hard to believe but again I don't keep track).

Man, for some reason I just love how offhandedly he throws many exact figures "85% were recurring injuries, 40% were picked in international duty/we left the squad with 300m in value". Wonder if he just makes them up as he goes along, but knowing him he probably has spreadsheets for all of this (the 10m net spend looks a bit hard to believe but again I don't keep track).

£10m net spend is waaaaaaay off. £70-80m.

Rafa can say what he likes about injuries and net spend, but the fact is he filled the Liverpool squad with a load of very average players... most of which should be nowhere near Liverpool FC.

I can understand if he thought the Gerrard and Torres would be enough to carry the cloggers to success... but he was wrong about that.

Rafa can say what he likes about injuries and net spend, but the fact is he filled the Liverpool squad with a load of very average players... most of which should be nowhere near Liverpool FC.

I can understand if he thought the Gerrard and Torres would be enough to carry the cloggers to success... but he was wrong about that.

He bought a lot of crap players, but he did bring in Alonso, Torres and Mascherano, who'd all walk into just about any side in Europe on top form.

He should have worried less about making up the numbers in the squad, and concentrated more of the funds he had into buying nailed-on successes like the above three. That said, two of his biggest purchases, Keane and Aquilani, were disastrous.

He bought a lot of crap players, but he did bring in Alonso, Torres and Mascherano, who'd all walk into just about any side in Europe on top form.

He should have worried less about making up the numbers in the squad, and concentrated more of the funds he had into buying nailed-on successes like the above three. That said, two of his biggest purchases, Keane and Aquilani, were disastrous.

You were telling me a while back the board bought Keane???

Even discounting Keane he had a shocking record of buying. And I don't even think about the pricey flops, how many players did he bring in for very little to average money and they turned out to be utter dross? Just didn't understand the point of most of his signings.

You were telling me a while back the board bought Keane???

Because Rafa wanted him (albeit on the condition of already having Barry).

Even discounting Keane he had a shocking record of buying. And I don't even think about the pricey flops, how many players did he bring in for very little to average money and they turned out to be utter dross? Just didn't understand the point of most of his signings.

Well no, they weren't "utter dross", they were more or less as good as their price tags indicated. £2-8m, which is what Rafa paid for most of his players, isn't going to get you a squad of superstars like Chelsea, City and Man Utd.

He bought badly in the sense that he bought too many cheapish players for the squad instead of fewer expensive ones for the first eleven, but he generally got value for money with his transfers (some of the expensive ones being the exceptions).

Decent post on Rafa's signings.

And he did sign a lot of rubbish.....but moved several flops for a profit as well.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=249365.0

some strong signings in there - reina, torres, mascherano, alonso, benayoun, agger, garcia, kuyt - but they're usually the earlier signings. Reina and Alonso were superb signings, two of the best players in their respective positions on the planet, and not that highly rated when they arrived. Benitez was also the first person to take a chance on Torres at a fee that now looks like a bargain - i seem to remember everyone calling him an inconsistent "scorer of great goals but not a great goal scorer" before liverpool. mind you selling Alonso was just about the stupidest thing Benitez ever did.

his big signings in the latter part of his reign - johnson, keane, dossena, reira, babel, aquilani - were disasterous and ultimately proved to be his downfall. £80m spunked on nothing but trash.

Rawk makes the SMB look normal.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=265847.0

Fuck me, I want a tattoo of rafa on my face.

Why, Rafa? Why do you have to be so fucking ace? Why can't you just say "Those Liverpool fans? Buncha c*nts!" and we could all move on, instead of having to listen to how incredibly awesome you actually are every time you open your mouth to speak.

Would it hurt you to just say something twattish once in a while?

That's just on the first page of 34.

Yeahh that was my general point, wacko. I'm dreadful at explaining things. It was utter dross for the level he should have been buying at, he just seemed to keep throwing away small amounts on players that weren't going to make any impact.

It's a bit pointless to defend Rafa by saying he couldn't afford players as expensive as Man Utd and Chelsea... that's basically just admitting that a manager's ability has nothing to do with success.

Yes, he had to buy at a lower level in the latter days... but you would still have hope Liverpool could attract better players than they seem to have done.

I do agree quite a bit of Liverpool's downfall has been down to the ownership situation though.