The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest Howaythetoon

I hate Liverpool but quite like Dalglish.

I dont think he ever took the Newcastle job particularly seriously.

Care to expand on that? Would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Myself I thought he could have done a fine job given enough time but following KK, his style of football and the changes happening at the club and in the game, he was always going to struggle initially. Signed a few duds but brought in Given, Nobby, Speed, Hamman and Dabizas, all good servants and top quality players.

Guest BooBoo

Care to expand on that? Would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Myself I thought he could have done a fine job given enough time but following KK, his style of football and the changes happening at the club and in the game, he was always going to struggle initially. Signed a few duds but brought in Given, Nobby, Speed, Hamman and Dabizas, all good servants and top quality players.

Its difficult to explain really but like Gullit after him I think KD just saw us as a payday and a route back into the game. There was no real connection between him and the club/ fans (like say a Hughton did, despite being an "outsider"). He never seemed to be in for it for the long haul like KK or SBR. I think his comment after his sacking summed him up quite well when he quipped "I've been out of short trousers a long time and I'm not going to say this is the worst day of my life." I'm not convicned he ever gave a toss.

Having said that, the timing of his sacking was ludicrous really. He should have gone after the FA Cup final where he played for a 0-0 draw or given time to bed his signings in. To sack him after two draws at the start of the season was one of Shepherd's more ridiculous decisions.

Guest BooBoo

That season under Dalglish when we had the Dads Army and played in that horrendous shirt with the thin stripes and daft shield on the back; the whole year felt like a horrible hangover after the party of the Keegan era. The Barca/ Sheff Utd games excepted.

Guest Howaythetoon

Its difficult to explain really but like Gullit after him I think KD just saw us as a payday and a route back into the game. There was no real connection between him and the club/ fans (like say a Hughton did, despite being an "outsider"). He never seemed to be in for it for the long haul like KK or SBR. I think his comment after his sacking summed him up quite well when he quipped "I've been out of short trousers a long time and I'm not going to say this is the worst day of my life." I'm not convicned he ever gave a toss.

Having said that, the timing of his sacking was ludicrous really. He should have gone after the FA Cup final where he played for a 0-0 draw or given time to bed his signings in. To sack him after two draws at the start of the season was one of Shepherd's more ridiculous decisions.

Is that not just his usual demeanour though? Even after today's loss at Old Trafford he was trying to be funny or casual about it. Fair enough though, if that's your opinion, I can't say I saw it like that mind. I agree with you regarding the timing of his sacking, especially as he had just spent the best part of 14m or so.

Gullit, for me he probably thought he could manage us in relative comfort, but as the job has shown, to manage this club you have to basically turn your life in to it as KK and Sir Bobby did. Gullit was far too relaxed and far too aloof.

Like Kenny though I actually like Gullit, he showed real class over his leaving and still has good things to say about the club. Just don't mention Shearer...

when you go from 2nd to 13th then you'v done a shit job. Dalglish was terrible  us. I don't think we won any game by more than one goal difference apart from a league cup game against Hull (2-0) and against Chelsea (3-1) somwhere near the last game of the season.

Terrible team that was.

Guest Howaythetoon

That season under Dalglish when we had the Dads Army and played in that horrendous shirt with the thin stripes and daft shield on the back; the whole year felt like a horrible hangover after the party of the Keegan era. The Barca/ Sheff Utd games excepted.

I can't disagree, it was a real disappointment that season and surreal in many ways. The kind of year where you think did that actually happen. Such a huge difference in such a short space of time in terms of football, players and good times on the pitch. Awful season from start to finish.

I can't disagree, it was a real disappointment that season and surreal in many ways. The kind of year where you think did that actually happen. Such a huge difference in such a short space of time in terms of football, players and good times on the pitch. Awful season from start to finish.

Didn't he manage you to a second place? People around here seem very critical about his reign, and I wonder why. I know he left you midtable when he was sacked, but you got the FA final, Shearer was injuried afterall... Not doubting he was bad for you, just wondering what happened exactly.

Guest BooBoo

Didn't he manage you to a second place? People around here seem very critical about his reign, and I wonder why. I know he left you midtable when he was sacked, but you got the FA final, Shearer was injuried afterall... Not doubting he was bad for you, just wondering what happened exactly.

Dalglish was very unlucky in a sense as he kept Keegan's side intact on the whole, although Shearer picked up a horrible injury on the eve of 97/98 and it threw our plans into disarray. Prior to that he'd guided the side to an unlikely second place and our first crack at the Champions League. He quickly got rid of Ginola, the club decided to cash in on Ferdinand and he bought in a mix bag of players inclduing infamously three in Rush, Pearce and Barnes who were very much in the twilight of their careers. Tomasson never took off here and Ketsbaia was very erratic. 97/98 would have been a lot better with a fit Shearer leading the line.

We had a failry easy passage to the Cup Final but Dalglish was outrageously timid against Arsenal, playing for a 0-0 draw it seemed. We were easily beaten 2-0 and despite staying on for the summer, many fans were sickened by the cowardice at the cup final and had lost faith in him. Despite spending quite a bit of money in the summer of 98, Dalglish was sacked after a poor home goalless draw to newly promoted 10 man Charlton and a credible 1-1 at Chelsea.

Toilets in the away end after today....

http://i.imgur.com/4um4S.jpg

justice for the Ninety-sinks

:lol:

FYP

I'm telling the LFC Supporters Texas Chapter on you. They'll be round right after the Gillett lynching.

Dalglish was very unlucky in a sense as he kept Keegan's side intact on the whole, although Shearer picked up a horrible injury on the eve of 97/98 and it threw our plans into disarray. Prior to that he'd guided the side to an unlikely second place and our first crack at the Champions League. He quickly got rid of Ginola, the club decided to cash in on Ferdinand and he bought in a mix bag of players inclduing infamously three in Rush, Pearce and Barnes who were very much in the twilight of their careers. Tomasson never took off here and Ketsbaia was very erratic. 97/98 would have been a lot better with a fit Shearer leading the line.

We had a failry easy passage to the Cup Final but Dalglish was outrageously timid against Arsenal, playing for a 0-0 draw it seemed. We were easily beaten 2-0 and despite staying on for the summer, many fans were sickened by the cowardice at the cup final and had lost faith in him. Despite spending quite a bit of money in the summer of 98, Dalglish was sacked after a poor home goalless draw to newly promoted 10 man Charlton and a credible 1-1 at Chelsea.

Thanks for the NUFC history lesson. My vision of him many be distorted by *that* game.

Guest BooBoo

Strangely enough, the home game v Barca was the only time we played like Keegan's side all season. On the whole, we regressed into a fairly dull and completely unremarkable outfit.

Thanks for the NUFC history lesson. My vision of him many be distorted by *that* game.

To a degree he was unlucky. Ferdinand was sold to help pay for Shearer (as were other forwards from Keegan's squad, such as Kitson and Huckerby) and then Shearer was injured pre-season. That left only Asprilla, who wasn't a very Dalglish type player. Barnes and Rush were signed just before the deadline for CL registration and it was clear the club had no money to spend on anyone better. Tomasson's confidence was destroyed by him being played out of position as a striker, and the pressure on the lad of having to step into Shearer's shoes.

Then the club finally gave Dalglish £15 million to spend in the summer of 1998 but sacked him two games into the season.

Guest BooBoo

Only at Newcastle could we let a manager buy a striker for big money (Guivarch) and then before the lad had played, sack the manager and hire another manager in Gullit who had spent the summer as a World Cup pundit heavily criticising Guivarch for 4 weeks.

Needless to say, Guivarch was sold pronto, for a loss.

Only at Newcastle could we let a manager buy a striker for big money (Guivarch) and then before the lad had played, sack the manager and hire another manager in Gullit who had spent the summer as a World Cup pundit heavily criticising Guivarch for 4 weeks.

Needless to say, Guivarch was sold pronto, for a loss.

I thought we got back pretty much what we paid for him.