The Liverpool Thread

Parky

A sideline - I only saw the second half, but I was really impressed with how well Everton played, considering the team they put out. Moyes really deserves a crack at a bigger club.

He's lucky to be in the Everton job ffs.

We're underperforming massively.

This is the type of opinion were often accused of having, one day your going to get JFK as manager then you will beg Moyes to come back.

tight table man, interested to know where everton fans think they should be this season?  presumably above us and the mackems, right up with spurs...

have they backed moyes enough to achieve that year in year out, there's not much standing still goes on in top flight football, if you're not developing the squad and moving forwards, more often than not you're going backwards

A sideline - I only saw the second half, but I was really impressed with how well Everton played, considering the team they put out. Moyes really deserves a crack at a bigger club.

This is the type of opinion were often accused of having, one day your going to get JFK as manager then you will beg Moyes to come back.

tight table man, interested to know where everton fans think they should be this season?  presumably above us and the mackems, right up with spurs...

have they backed moyes enough to achieve that year in year out, there's not much standing still goes on in top flight football, if you're not developing the squad and moving forwards, more often than not you're going backwards

There's no doubt our total lack of finances plays a big part, yes, and it would be foolish to not recognise that. However the point is, this squad Moyes has, "the best I've had at Everton" to quote the man himself, is not performing anywhere near where they should be - which I consider to be in and around the top 6. That said, you're quite right, the tightness of the table means our season isn't over yet but it's been a clear underperformance to which most of the staff - players and management - need to take responsibility for.

There's no doubt our total lack of finances plays a big part, yes, and it would be foolish to not recognise that. However the point is, this squad Moyes has, "the best I've had at Everton" to quote the man himself, is not performing anywhere near where they should be - which I consider to be in and around the top 6. That said, you're quite right, the tightness of the table means our season isn't over yet but it's been a clear underperformance to which most of the staff - players and management - need to take responsibility for.

Arteta's been out for ages non?

Isn't it just Everton's lack of forwards that is holding them back? There's only so many games Tim Cahill can head the winner in.

thats what i've been thinking, if everton had ac9 for example i think they'd be near the cl places

Isn't it just Everton's lack of forwards that is holding them back? There's only so many games Tim Cahill can head the winner in.

Probably, yeah. The way they were opening Liverpool up in the second half with quick passing movements suggested there's more to come from them.

Fellaini is an impressive player - always involved in attack and defence.

This is strange to say but I think it's long been true: Cahill's contributions are of course significant, but we have, and will continue to do fine without him. Finally Moyes is playing 2 up front, and more importantly, is finally giving Beckford a proper chance which personally I've been calling for, for quite a while. He's come up 2 leagues, he needs some confidence so finally it seems Moyes is showing faith in him.

That's not to say I don't want a striker brought in and this supposed Bent deal will probably irk a few of us Evertonians - he is exactly the sort of player we need and I'm pretty sure he'd come (unless there is a very specific reason for him wanting to go to Villa) but there's not a cat in hell's chance of getting him, unless Sunderland are willing to accept a multi-pack of Party Rings and a lifetime supply of Victor Anichebe.

And Cronky: that's the frustrating thing. We did improve massively in the 2nd half - probably with an ear-bashing from Moyes the cause - and we are very capable of playing some pretty good football (albeit pace has been an issue); but it's a case of what if? The reason we required such an improvement was because in the first half we yet again produced our standard Anfield spineless surrender. If we had taken it to them like that from the off I think we could well have won it. Anyway, looking ahead, broken record time but we'll climb the table IMO. As bizarre as this sounds, Sunderland should be our target. I never thought I'd hear myself saying that 22 games into the season but hey, I sure want to be 6th and if we can put a run together like I know we can then a lot of things are still possible from this season, due to the open nature of the table.

Edit: Arteta was injured for about a year since the Newcastle game of Feb 2009, Parky; this season he's simply not been near his best.

Think Arteta has been the key to your good spells.

When he plays well, we play well. Something's been up with him though for pretty much all this season, just hasn't been his usual self. Get him playing with more confidence and we'll climb the table without doubt.

Think Arteta has been the key to your good spells.

When he plays well, we play well. Something's been up with him though for pretty much all this season, just hasn't been his usual self. Get him playing with more confidence and we'll climb the table without doubt.

could it be the lack of .spit. cahill ?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

SSN Ticker: Torres has asked Liverpool to listen to Chelsea's offer.  ;D

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6706297,00.html

Sky Sports understands that Fernando Torres has asked Liverpool to consider selling him to Chelsea after a bid was rejected in the early hours of Friday morning.

The Blues have been admirers of the Spain striker for some time and it has now emerged that they made an audacious attempt to sign him.

The offer, believed to be around £35million, was immediately turned down by the Reds, who insisted Torres 'is not for sale'.

Reports have claimed that Chelsea will return with an improved offer before Monday's deadline to further test Liverpool's resolve.

And Sky Sports' Spanish expert Guillem Balague understands Torres has asked Liverpool to listen to Chelsea's bid.

It is thought that Torres would like the opportunity to embark on a new challenge with the reigning Premier League champions after three-and-a-half years at Anfield.

No release clause

Liverpool have endured a disappointing past couple of seasons and Torres is keen to play for a club that is challenging for major honours.

The final decision will rest with the Reds though, with Balague insisting there is no release clause in Torres' contract following suggestions that an offer of £50million would trigger a transfer.

Liverpool have made their position clear and it remains to be seen whether Torres' apparent wishes will be taken into consideration.

The 26-year-old has cut a forlorn figure at times this season but appears revitalised under new manager Kenny Dalglish and is returning to something approaching his best form.

Chelsea are keen to partner him with Didier Drogba in what be a formidable strikeforce and Torres reportedly hopes the two clubs will start to negotiate.

I've missed Chelsea splashing the cash TBH, would like to see him in their team.

how do you envisage that working then, in football terms?  he'd be another sheva imo

totally the wrong type of team for that type of player

think they'd be better off signing Aguero  :thup:

don't think Torres would be as bad as Shevchenko, mind.