Luis Suárez

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't consider it cheating when you are punished accordingly...red card and a pen! What more do you want?

The goal that would have counted had it not been for the handball maybe.  Why should the team that cheated get a second chance to stop a goal that would have happened if not for the deliberate handball?  Like I said, so late in a game its nothing but a get out clause for cheats, a no lose situation.

I don't consider it cheating when you are punished accordingly...red card and a pen! What more do you want?

so if you get caught it isn't cheating ?......... :facepalm:

Just about every foul is committed with the intention of gaining an unfair advantage. Does that make every footballer who has committed a foul (ie every last one of them) a cheat? 

stop fucking crying about it

Oh grow up :lol:

The goal that would have counted had it not been for the handball maybe.  Why should the team that cheated get a second chance to stop a goal that would have happened if not for the deliberate handball?  Like I said, so late in a game its nothing but a get out clause for cheats, a no lose situation.

taking away free will from the game:  Suarez had a choice and he made it, like every player in every game week in week out has the choice to hack down, headbutt, bite any other player in any game

if he chooses to do so then the rules apply and that's the end of it, you can't introduce predicting the future into sport - the point being that the Suarez one was clear cut and heading into the goal, what if it was impossible to tell if it was going wide or going in as the camera angles weren't right, then what do you do?

so if you get caught it isn't cheating ?......... :facepalm:

Just about every foul is committed with the intention of gaining an unfair advantage. Does that make every footballer who has committed a foul (ie every last one of them) a cheat? 

stop fucking crying about it

Oh grow up :lol:

oh hi you, good editing btw

So, next May...........  We're beating West Brom 1-0 going into injury time, which will keep us up by a point and relegate them.  The exact same incident occurs in our penalty area and one of our defenders saves it with his hand and they then miss the resulting penalty.

Will the people calling this a disgrace be in two minds about the rights and wrongs of us staying up? 

Presumably they wouldn't want to see the player who saved it on the line celebrating our survival either?

i'd hope by then there's a rule brought in that would award them a goal in the same circumstance. its pointless arguing if the player was right or wrong what matters is that the crime should be punished adequatly and to me that would mean a goal.

Have a go at the two questions...

So, next May...........  We're beating West Brom 1-0 going into injury time, which will keep us up by a point and relegate them.  The exact same incident occurs in our penalty area and one of our defenders saves it with his hand and they then miss the resulting penalty.

Will the people calling this a disgrace be in two minds about the rights and wrongs of us staying up? 

Presumably they wouldn't want to see the player who saved it on the line celebrating our survival either?

i'd hope by then there's a rule brought in that would award them a goal in the same circumstance. its pointless arguing if the player was right or wrong what matters is that the crime should be punished adequatly and to me that would mean a goal.

is that a joke?

My only problem with him is the way he's crowed about it since the game. For me, that's bringing the game into disrepute. I'd definitely extend the ban to keep him out of the final (or 3rd place play off).

:thup:

well,the first question is a bit ambiguous to say the least, but i'll give it a go.........it's not really the rights or wrongs of us staying up but the rights or wrongs of what should happen in this sort of situation as they are two seperate things. remember we are saying that the penalty for the ball being on the line and travelling over it,being stopped deliberatly by a hand of an outfield player when no one else could stop it (ie had the player not handled it ,it was in) should be treat the same as a professional foul in the box when last man that prevents a goalscoring opportunity (still has work to do in hitting it and beating the keeper), so my own personal opiniopn is that there should be a rule to award a penalty goal in this sort of situation.

as for question 2............ i couldn't give a toss

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/07/03/2008163/uruguay-forward-luis-suarez-handed-one-match-ban-after

Uruguay striker  Luis Suarez has escaped further punishment from FIFA after being handed just a  one-match ban for his handball on the line which stopped Ghana becoming the first African team to reach a World Cup semi-final.

FIFA's disciplinary committee confirmed on Saturday that Suarez will miss Tuesday's semi-final against the Netherlands in Cape Town, but will be eligible to play in the final on July 11 should Uruguay progress.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/07/03/2008163/uruguay-forward-luis-suarez-handed-one-match-ban-after

Uruguay striker  Luis Suarez has escaped further punishment from FIFA after being handed just a  one-match ban for his handball on the line which stopped Ghana becoming the first African team to reach a World Cup semi-final.

FIFA's disciplinary committee confirmed on Saturday that Suarez will miss Tuesday's semi-final against the Netherlands in Cape Town, but will be eligible to play in the final on July 11 should Uruguay progress.

good, once again FIFA apply the correct rules

the end

the end

is anyone denying that ? what some are saying is that maybe the rules should be changed for the future in light of that.

Should be the same punishment regardless of whether the penalty goes in or not and FIFA have not caved in and extended the ban so it's good news.

It's a real shame Ghana didn't score the penalty but that's the way it works sometimes. Suarez did what he had to and he'll take the rap for it. Tough shit and let's get on with it.   

the end

is anyone denying that ? what some are saying is that maybe the rules should be changed for the future in light of that.

in this case what would you change them to?

well,the first question is a bit ambiguous to say the least, but i'll give it a go.........it's not really the rights or wrongs of us staying up but the rights or wrongs of what should happen in this sort of situation as they are two seperate things. remember we are saying that the penalty for the ball being on the line and travelling over it,being stopped deliberatly by a hand of an outfield player when no one else could stop it (ie had the player not handled it ,it was in) should be treat the same as a professional foul in the box when last man that prevents a goalscoring opportunity (still has work to do in hitting it and beating the keeper), so my own personal opiniopn is that there should be a rule to award a penalty goal in this sort of situation.

Goals are for when the ball crosses the line in football, not when it would have / might have IMO.

There's too much pursuit of making football absolutely perfect or uncontroversial in this World Cup I think as well.

Heard someone on Radio 5 the other day saying the problem is that these sort of things happening is fantastic media exposure for tournament (which is admittedly big already obviously) but that FIFA wouldn't have it any other way.

Should be the same punishment regardless of whether the penalty goes in or not and FIFA have not caved in and extended the ban so it's good news.

It's a real shame Ghana didn't score the penalty but that's the way it works sometimes. Suarez did what he had to and he'll take the rap for it. Tough shit and let's get on with it.    

:thup:

:nods:

Goals are for when the ball crosses the line in football, not when it would have / might have IMO.

There's too much pursuit of making football absolutely perfect or uncontroversial in this World Cup I think as well.

Heard someone on Radio 5 the other day saying the problem is that these sort of things happening is fantastic media exposure for tournament (which is admittedly big already obviously) but that FIFA wouldn't have it any other way.

penalties didn't used to exist so theres no reason why penalty goals shouldnt in the future.

Well said.

the end

in this case what would you change them to?

in this sort of situation a goal should be awarded.

(no the ref shouldn't have yesterday as the rules aren't there to allow him to do it but theres no reason why the rules couldn't change to that in the future)

So what if there's uncertainty of whether it's going in or not? Perfect example tonight - da silva on the line could have scooped villa's shot off the line with his hand. Was it going in off the second post? Obviously it did but i didn't have a clue where it was going until it did.

Can't see how a ref can consistently decide every single time a handball has 'stopped' a goal. Sometimes it will be obvious and sometimes it won't. Last night it was obvious that Suarez prevented a goal but it won't be as clear every time. Penalty goals are inherently unfeasible imo, each incident is different. 

Can't see how a ref can consistently decide every single time a handball has 'stopped' a goal. Sometimes it will be obvious and sometimes it won't. Last night it was obvious that Suarez prevented a goal but it won't be as clear every time. Penalty goals are inherently unfeasible imo, each incident is different. 

It's just something else for the officials to get wrong. :thup:

So what if there's uncertainty of whether it's going in or not? Perfect example tonight - da silva on the line could have scooped villa's shot off the line with his hand. Was it going in off the second post? Obviously it did but i didn't have a clue where it was going until it did.

then if he's not sure he doesnt give it. quite simple really.

The red card you get for handballing on the line is punishment enough. Ask Harry Kewell if he would rather have let Ghana score in the first match. In most cases, the penalty will be scored and the team will be a man down. The last seconds of the match are really the only time when it is to your advantage.

Also, it is not cheating. If you call this cheating, then every single foul is also cheating. It is an infringement that was correctly noted and dealt with by the referee. Suarez was duly punished. What else do people want?