James Perch

BeloEmre

Surely Hughton's at least seen a fair bit of him seeing as we've just done a season in the Championship and Forest were chasing us for a while.

The question is whether he decided to snap up a player he fancies or whether he has just gone for an extra body on the cheap.

We haven't made enough of these types of signings to be fair. If you look at players who have done well in recent years, a good few came from the Championship. Bobby Robson got us into the Champions League with signings like Dyer, Jenas, and Bramble, and Milner has gone on to play for England at the World Cup. N'Zogbia was another obscure signing who has gone on to do well.

You would assume Raylor will probably be on the move now, unless he is to be used as backup for the right wing as well.

No capital outlay could also simply mean not spreading transfer payments over more than a year. It could just mean that we're living within our means and any cash signings are affordable both in the short and the long term.

I thought after someone cleared up that "capital outlay" meant installments that this kind of argument would be over.  There is money, but only enough to buy totally up front, that's all the letter said.  Nothing more nothing less.

Surely Hughton's at least seen a fair bit of him seeing as we've just done a season in the Championship and Forest were chasing us for a while.

The question is whether he decided to snap up a player he fancies or whether he has just gone for an extra body on the cheap.

We haven't made enough of these types of signings to be fair. If you look at players who have done well in recent years, a good few came from the Championship. Bobby Robson got us into the Champions League with signings like Dyer, Jenas, and Bramble, and Milner has gone on to play for England at the World Cup. N'Zogbia was another obscure signing who has gone on to do well.

You would assume Raylor will probably be on the move now, unless he is to be used as backup for the right wing as well.

With the exception of Jenas all 4 of them were talked about before they hit 18, and Jenas was bought by us and playing at 18 iirc even though he kind of came out of nowhere.  Perch is 24 and forest have been down in the 3rd division for a few years.

Very, very different caliber of player we're talking about here.

Well, looks like we have three average right-backs now. Was hoping we'd sign a better one, but he's versatile, and we'll need that. Should be decent enough.

Danny Simpson could never be accused of being average.

Aye, he's not that good.

Guest firetotheworks

It's pointless even quoting that nacker man. You may as well put quotation marks around a fart.

Interview with Perch on co.uk. He doesn't even know the correct name of his manager  :doh:

"I don't know Chris Hughtom well yet but looking on from afar he did a superb job last season.

:lol:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100705/perch-thrilled-to-be-in-premier-league_2240137_2085008

I doubt he was the one that typed up his own quotes though.

:kinnear:

Of course he wasn't, man.

With the exception of Jenas all 4 of them were talked about before they hit 18, and Jenas was bought by us and playing at 18 iirc even though he kind of came out of nowhere.  Perch is 24 and forest have been down in the 3rd division for a few years.

Fair points.

On a budget like ours you don't get anyone of known calbre, though. Premier League experience is valuable but on a budget like ours it'd as likely mean a dead wood player like Ryan Taylor. If there is any other money to spend, it needs to be going on a striker better than what we have, and a midfielder who can pick a pass, among other things.

Premier League experience is massively overrated IMO, just like 'World Cup experience' was with the England team this summer. Better get players with ambition, something to prove and something in their legs.

I'm not saying Perch is that, but at least we aren't signing players on the decline as much any more.

Premier League experience is massively overrated IMO, just like 'World Cup experience' was with the England team this summer. Better get players with ambition, something to prove and something in their legs.

I'm not saying Perch is that, but at least we aren't signing players on the decline as much any more.

I totally agree.

He looked excellent defensively against us, the question mark has to be whether he will provide us with much going forward as these days you need good attacking full backs to play the game the right way. Otherwise I think it will be a good signing.

Great point, if you are a good enough player you'll do well, no matter where you played before. At the end of the day it's all just football, maybe of a higher standard but that's it, not rocket science for sure.

He looked excellent defensively against us, the question mark has to be whether he will provide us with much going forward as these days you need good attacking full backs to play the game the right way. Otherwise I think it will be a good signing.

TBH the only time I've seen him play is against us, going on that evidence, he's an excellent signing, the problem of course as has been mentioned, his performance in that game could be the exception rather than the rule.

Fair points.

On a budget like ours you don't get anyone of known calbre, though. Premier League experience is valuable but on a budget like ours it'd as likely mean a dead wood player like Ryan Taylor. If there is any other money to spend, it needs to be going on a striker better than what we have, and a midfielder who can pick a pass, among other things.

Oh right yeah, i see and agree.  I think there are likely better prospects around the leagues at a younger age, that's when I feel we should be taking the punt not when they're 24.  There are exceptions but generally the holds that some who's played pro football will have shown his ability by the time he's that age.

im pretty sad hes gone he was solid when played in the right place, trouble is not many people know where his true position is

Forest mate of mine. Rates him at right-back and defensive mid.  Says he gives 100% every game.